Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Tuks Village

Default Tuks Village

Hi, I am finishing up my application forms for UP and I would like to know: how does the placement for the Tuks Village res work? Like how exclusive is it? Also how long does UP take to reply to applications

Thanks

As far as I can remember, first years couldn't get placed. (Assuming we're talking about the bunch of houses in Grosvenor.)

Then again, that was more n 10 years ago =]

Yeah think its only postgrad and the occasional undergrad.....not first years.

I think you guys are thinking about tuksdorp (that's for postgrads). The UP site definitely says that first years get placement-apparently there was 240 first years in 2010... It's that mixed res that started up in 08, they don't compete in Rag and stuff

Quote Originally Posted by sequoiathrone View Post
    I think you guys are thinking about tuksdorp (that's for postgrads). The UP site definitely says that first years get placement-apparently there was 240 first years in 2010... It's that mixed res that started up in 08, they don't compete in Rag and stuff
    Yes, they're talking about something else. The Tuks Village is on the L.C De Villiers sports grounds. We (the company I work for) built the place, I worked there when I was a student myself. As far as I know admission works just like all the other residences, and they definitely do allow first years. Im guessing it depends on how many applications there are.
    I have never taken the high road. But I tell other people to 'cause then there's more room for me on the low road.

Just called client services... Apparently they need a minimum APS of 33.
    36 should be good enough right?

Dunno. I can tell you though that after 1st year its linked to academic performance.

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    Dunno. I can tell you though that after 1st year its linked to academic performance.
    So basically... If you do well, they allow you to stay?

I've got friends in tuks village(3rd year now). I went straight into digs after school so, I haven't stayed in tuks village.

1.)1st years are accepted.
    2.)They don't take part in any of the res activities.
    3.)At the end of first year you need to have an average of 55% or greater to keep your place in res.(Better marks will enable you to choose better rooms, I.e. if your average was the highest of all 1st years you get first choice of a new room.)
    4.)Not sure how the admission works right out of school, but I imagine if your APS is 36 you should be fine.
    5.)Res food is insanely expensive at tuks.(SRC is fighting at the moment to get it cheaper).

If you have more questions feel free to ask

What are you going to study?

Quote Originally Posted by hawker View Post
    I've got friends in tuks village(3rd year now). I went straight into digs after school so, I haven't stayed in tuks village.

1.)1st years are accepted.
    2.)They don't take part in any of the res activities.
    3.)At the end of first year you need to have an average of 55% or greater to keep your place in res.(Better marks will enable you to choose better rooms, I.e. if your average was the highest of all 1st years you get first choice of a new room.)
    4.)Not sure how the admission works right out of school, but I imagine if your APS is 36 you should be fine.
    5.)Res food is insanely expensive at tuks.(SRC is fighting at the moment to get it cheaper).

If you have more questions feel free to ask

What are you going to study?
    Ah thanks you've been a great help. I am applying for BIS Multimedia

I've heard that TuksVillage is self catering- so they don't provide you with any cooked meals at all right?

On the res fee brochure it says you pay for food at Tuks Village... So how does that work if it is self catering? Do yyou buy food with this money somehow at the village fresh?

And how long after sending in your application do they usually respond?

Sorry if I'm being a pain
    Last edited by sequoiathrone; 15-06-2011 at 11:54 AM.