Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Thread: Firefox's future

Default Firefox's future

What does the future hold for Firefox?

Firefox was always the coolest browser but it is rapidly losing that crown to Google’s Chrome

Master

Firefox uses the most memory on my PC with not to many add-ons (DownThemAll, Easy YouTube Video Downloader, FireFTP, NoScript, Tab Mix Plus and PDF Download), I do however have 170 tabs open in one window at the moment but memory usage is sitting at 1.5GB

Quite often I have to close and re open Firefox as it has a couple of seconds delay between anything I do and to get the memory back but hardly ever start from scratch with no tabs open (load previous session)

My biggest reason for sticking with FF is session restore (using Tab Mix though) and NoScript.

I will go google and see if Chrome allows add-ons and if so what is available.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    What does the future hold for Firefox?

Firefox was always the coolest browser but it is rapidly losing that crown to Google’s Chrome
    It was never the coolest browser, it was merely the most accessable alternative to IE.
    a2

#Trendingsucks

YAY! Finally. A sensible browser article. * Waits for the FF fanboyz with their plugins and about:settings to come trolling *

Quote Originally Posted by stricken View Post
    YAY! Finally. A sensible browser article. * Waits for the FF fanboyz with their plugins and about:settings to come trolling *
    Trolololol?

Why not complain about the add-ons? Chrome is lacking in that regard so its good enough reason for anyone to come "trolling" about it...stop being such a douche.

Grandmaster

The answer from the foundation has been to ramp up development.
    The problem is, they're ramping up version numbers. Development's still happening at the same pace.

No one can beat the simplicity of Chrome and it is fast. Has over 11 000 addons and Firefox has over 9 000 addons. Quality versus quantity I guess. Think Chrome will overtake them in 2 years time or sooner.

Super Grandmaster

alt-backarrow - you would think that that simple combination would do in Chrome what it has always done in Firefox (regardless of platform) or even IE ..for about as far back as I can remember. But no, to THAT bloody thing alt-backarrow cycles you backwards through tabs instead of back to the page you were previously on, on the same sodding tab!

*ahem* ..if a shiny-arsed fanboi could enlighten me how to get Chrome to get this one thing right, I'd be ever so grateful (and maybe even a bit more inclined to use it more often). But for now, and all of its other goodness notwithstanding, I'm simply not leaving Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by bdt View Post
    alt-backarrow - you would think that that simple combination would do in Chrome what it has always done in Firefox (regardless of platform) or even IE ..for about as far back as I can remember. But no, to THAT bloody thing alt-backarrow cycles you backwards through tabs instead of back to the page you were previously on, on the same sodding tab!

*ahem* ..if a shiny-arsed fanboi could enlighten me how to get Chrome to get this one thing right, I'd be ever so grateful (and maybe even a bit more inclined to use it more often). But for now, and all of its other goodness notwithstanding, I'm simply not leaving Firefox.
    Err, works for me on Chrome for winblows and Chromium on linux. Ctrl+Shift+Tab is cycle backwards through tabs and Ctrl+Tab forward. I have no idea what is up with your setup.

EDIT: Perhaps a conflicting extension? (Googling reveals perhaps its Smooth Gestures?)
    Last edited by BlaQ_PhoeniX; 29-06-2011 at 05:08 AM.

Master

soon the world will be ruled by Google!

yip, this article pretty much nails it...firefox's biggest problem is its sluggishness, if they can GREATLY improve startup time and general responsiveness, they'll be back in the running in no time... they just have to hurry because once a user jumps ship, he is unlikely to return.
    https://www.invoicesonline.co.za - Professional invoicing & recurring billing for South African entrepreneurs & professionals.

Grandmaster

Good article! The bells are ringing for Firefox! Whether Mozilla is up to it, remains to be seen. I for one, is a great fan of Firefox though.

Quote Originally Posted by BlaQ_PhoeniX View Post
    Err, works for me on Chrome for winblows and Chromium on linux. Ctrl+Shift+Tab is cycle backwards through tabs and Ctrl+Tab forward. I have no idea what is up with your setup.

EDIT: Perhaps a conflicting extension? (Googling reveals perhaps its Smooth Gestures?)
    CTRL+PGUP and CTRL+PGDN to cycle through tabs....
    There is light at the end of the tunnel......and then you dead

Please... It's never been the "coolest" browser. It's clunky and slow and needs a billion plug-ins to be useful. There are people that like it for various reasons but coolness isnt one of them. For that you have Opera. Or Chrome if you want to go for the minimalist thing.
    ...if life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.

-Douglas Adams

I have always been on the firefox side but am also starting to stray to the "dark side" of the force ;P

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast