Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: i've broken it already - new to adsl

Grandmaster

Default i've broken it already - new to adsl

so yesterday we got our telkom line installed, the do-broadband 384 package. all worked fine on my desktop (runs winXP), until we tried to connect my gf's laptop (runs Vista) and the xbox360 through the wireless modem/router (netgear n300 adsl2+).

we fiddled around with all settings (on the desk and laptop), incl the netgear settings that came with the installation. i even created a connection that appears in network connections, under internet gateway (which i can't seem to delete now). and now i can't connect to the internet through adsl. my desktop does however still seem to be able to connect to the router, although i am not 100% sure how to check that

any suggestions, tips, help or even a idiots guide to, uhm, well me
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

you have to know the 5 "D"s of dodgeball;..dodge;.duck..dip;..dive and dodge

Soli Deo Gloria
    Jesus loves you as you are, not as you should be.

|GeckoStretchTents|DomainCheap|FixedAssetManagement|

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by teraside View Post
    telkom support? they never seem to answer.

i more hoping that someone here can assist

Quote Originally Posted by wizdumb View Post
    telkom support? they never seem to answer.

i more hoping that someone here can assist
    They do answer. It will be the best route to go through them as you need to reset your router and start from scratch, you stuffed it up royally.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Jesus loves you as you are, not as you should be.

|GeckoStretchTents|DomainCheap|FixedAssetManagement|

Reset the router, usually a concealed button you need to press (with a paperclip). Once its reset then just enter in your ISP/ADSL account username & password.

Your security settings will also be reset so you need to set them up again. Just make sure your WiFi security is enabled.

Very easy to do this and its a good exercise to learn howto. You did nothing serious and it happens.
    Character is how you treat those that can do nothing for you.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

You should have a look at the lights showing/flashing on your ADSL modem first, because it should already tell you if your ADSL modem is working as it should...
    Usually the ADSL modems would have DSL & Internet/PPPoE lights:
    1) The DSL light indicates whether your ADSL line is in tact, because it would be green if your ADSL modem succeeded in connecting to the DSLAM (on the other end of the ADSL line).
    2) The Internet/PPPoE light is an indication of whether your ADSL router succeeded on connecting to your ISP account with the PPPoE connection.

The next step would be to run network diagnostics from a PC/laptop that is connected by LAN cable to the ADSL modem.
    Open Command Prompt and run the following commands (if you have Windows XP, then please replace 'route print -4' with 'route print'):
    Code:
    ipconfig
    route print -4
    ping 10.0.0.2
    nslookup www.telkom.co.za
    nslookup www.telkom.co.za 196.43.38.190
    ping 196.43.22.222
    tracert 196.43.22.222
    Now post the results here...

If it succeeded to ping the '196.43.22.222' IP address by not giving 'Request Timed Out' results, then your Internet should be working just fine, and you just forgot to ACTIVATE your ADSL line.
    You can activate your ADSL line by going to http://www.telkom.co.za/verifyadsl/ but you'll need your home's telephone number and ADSL order number to do so.

with regards to the Internet Gateway:
    If you've got a Internet gateway on your PC/laptop, then you've enabled ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on one of your network interfaces of your PC/laptop OR it could be a media center like the Xbox.
    So first try to remove the Xbox from your network and see if that Internet Gateway doesn't go away. If it doesn't, then you'll have to disable the ICS on your PC/laptop's network interface. You should see a blue hand included in the network interface's icon if it's shared.
    To unshare it, go to the Properties of the network interface and then under the Share tab. There should be numerous tutorials on the Internet on how to enable/disable ICS.

Grandmaster

Reset the router, usually a concealed button you need to press (with a paperclip). Once its reset then just enter in your ISP/ADSL account username & password.

Your security settings will also be reset so you need to set them up again. Just make sure your WiFi security is enabled.

Very easy to do this and its a good exercise to learn howto. You did nothing serious and it happens.
    i'll give it a try when i get home tonight

Usually the ADSL modems would have DSL & Internet/PPPoE lights:
    1) The DSL light indicates whether your ADSL line is in tact, because it would be green if your ADSL modem succeeded in connecting to the DSLAM (on the other end of the ADSL line).
    2) The Internet/PPPoE light is an indication of whether your ADSL router succeeded on connecting to your ISP account with the PPPoE connection.
    there were 2 or 3 green lights, and 1 red one (will have to check the manual what the icon means)

You can activate your ADSL line by going to http://www.telkom.co.za/verifyadsl/ but you'll need your home's telephone number and ADSL order number to do so.
    think this was done already, as i was able to surf for an hour or 2 before all the wireless messing around started

Grandmaster

right, the reset worked up to a point....at least all lights on the router is green.

it made that the netgear s/w run the setup wizard, it even downloaded a firmware update

but

command prompt did'n't bring up much, and ping'ing failed, however using the netgear s/w in the maintenance section there is a diagnostic section from which i could ping and

PING 196.43.22.222 (196.43.22.222): 56 data bytes
    56 bytes from 196.43.22.222: icmp_seq=0 ttl=250 time=29.8 ms
    56 bytes from 196.43.22.222: icmp_seq=2 ttl=250 time=28.4 ms
    56 bytes from 196.43.22.222: icmp_seq=3 ttl=250 time=27.9 ms

--- 196.43.22.222 ping statistics ---
    4 packets transmitted, 3 packets received, 25% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 27.9/28.7/29.8 ms

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

OK.

Please open Command Prompt and run all of those commands that I gave you, and then post ALL of the results here.

Quote Originally Posted by wizdumb View Post
    so yesterday we got our telkom line installed, the do-broadband 384 package. all worked fine on my desktop (runs winXP), until we tried to connect my gf's laptop (runs Vista) and the xbox360 through the wireless modem/router (netgear n300 adsl2+).

we fiddled around with all settings (on the desk and laptop), incl the netgear settings that came with the installation. i even created a connection that appears in network connections, under internet gateway (which i can't seem to delete now). and now i can't connect to the internet through adsl. my desktop does however still seem to be able to connect to the router, although i am not 100% sure how to check that

any suggestions, tips, help or even a idiots guide to, uhm, well me
    Oh dear - Vista is b!tch when it comes to network troubleshooting.

As per other posters,

1. reset the router
    2. re-enter the ISP login name, etc
    3. Connect one device at at time using a LAN cable first i.e. LAN cable directly into router - you should not have to fiddle with any settings for a machine to connect via the LAN cable
    4. Once verified that everything works with the cable, then setup the Wireless Access Point on the router (name, security, WPA key, etc)
    5. Unplug LAN cable from XBox and Laptop and try to connect wirelessly using credentials setup in 4 above

If the above does not work,

6. Call a friend who has done this before, or one of those "Nerds on Call" chappies

Good luck

Grandmaster

hope this makes sense Pada
    ipconfig

print route

ping

ping

tracert

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Your PC's network is fine, but you'll have to replace the Telkom guest account on your router with your ISP account.

If you want to write the results to a file, use the following:
    Code:
    ipconfig > c:\results.txt
    route print -4 >> c:\results.txt
    ping 10.0.0.2 >> c:\results.txt
    nslookup www.telkom.co.za >> c:\results.txt
    nslookup www.telkom.co.za 196.43.38.190 >> c:\results.txt
    ping 196.43.22.222 >> c:\results.txt
    tracert 196.43.22.222 >> c:\results.txt

Grandmaster

thanks pada

telkom is my isp, on the netgear s/w it has my telkom isp username and password...

but anyways, will re-run all your commands tonight and post the txt files

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

By the looks of your results, you are using a Telkom guest account, which allows you access to the Telkom website, but nothing else.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Pada View Post
    By the looks of your results, you are using a Telkom guest account, which allows you access to the Telkom website, but nothing else.
    not even getting the telkom site...as i thought i might need to verify my account again

btw - as i wasn't home when the installation etc was done, and me not knowing how this works - would i need to verify account even if i have an username and password from telkom? my gf says it has already been verified

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast