Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: How do you start a new Facebook conversation?

  1. #1

    Default How do you start a new Facebook conversation?

    I want to send a new message as a new conversation to someone, i.e. so that it is not appended to the existing conversation where the previous message history is clearly visible. I've looked and Googled, but can't seem to find a way
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    I am a tool

  2. #2
    King of de Jungle Garyvdh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    District 9
    Posts
    71,311
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Just go to the person's Facebook page and click on "Send this person a message"

  3. #3

    Default

    Thanks, but will that not add the message to the existing conversation thread? Their messaging system changed earlier this year, and I'm not fond of having all messages sent to a recipient grouped in a single conversation. I'd like to be able to start a new conversation if I wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    I am a tool

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hoxbig View Post
    Thanks, but will that not add the message to the existing conversation thread? Their messaging system changed earlier this year, and I'm not fond of having all messages sent to a recipient grouped in a single conversation. I'd like to be able to start a new conversation if I wish.
    Now go to their profile and say send new message put in whatever subject and message them, it won't carry on from another message, since it's ddifferent.
    Cowboy's never cry

    As a wise man once said, men are from Mars and women like penis.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Helghast View Post
    Now go to their profile and say send new message put in whatever subject and message them, it won't carry on from another message, since it's ddifferent.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but on a person's profile there is only a "Message" button. If you press it, you're taken to the conversation thread that you have with that person, where you can only add text to the existing conversation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    I am a tool

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hoxbig View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but on a person's profile there is only a "Message" button. If you press it, you're taken to the conversation thread that you have with that person, where you can only add text to the existing conversation.

    Hmmm direct me to that button?
    Cos the one I see is when you at someones profile top right hand corner next to poke and above You and (insert persons name here) is "Send Message".
    Cowboy's never cry

    As a wise man once said, men are from Mars and women like penis.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Helghast View Post
    Hmmm direct me to that button?
    Cos the one I see is when you at someones profile top right hand corner next to poke and above You and (insert persons name here) is "Send Message".
    Yeah it's also there. This is what appears at the top right for me:


    And this is where it takes me after pressing it:


    Previously I used to get a popup box which let me add a subject and type a message. The message would then be sent as a new message. Now it seems like every message that you send to a person is merged into a single conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicci View Post
    I am a tool

  8. #8
    Grandmaster Magnarmalok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Procrastination be mine destination :P
    Posts
    1,007

    Default

    You can always ask them nicely to clear their history?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hoxbig View Post
    Yeah it's also there. This is what appears at the top right for me:


    And this is where it takes me after pressing it:


    Previously I used to get a popup box which let me add a subject and type a message. The message would then be sent as a new message. Now it seems like every message that you send to a person is merged into a single conversation.
    That's so weird! I don't get that!
    Ok try go click on the message icon top left hand corner in between the notification and friend request icon. Then from there go click send new message.
    Cowboy's never cry

    As a wise man once said, men are from Mars and women like penis.

  10. #10
    King of de Jungle Garyvdh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    District 9
    Posts
    71,311
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    when you have gone to their page, and opened the messages tab, then click on the actions button to the right of the messages button.
    When that drops down, click on Archive.
    It will then take you back to your messages Inbox.
    From there you can create a new message.

  11. #11
    Captain Faptastic
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    35,671

    Default

    I can't get it to work. And it is bugging the schit out of me.

  12. #12
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,315

    Default

    Everything is lumped under one thread now. There's no subject field any more.
    You will see messages from Chat also show in the inbox now.

    So basically, you can't. It's a bit weird.

  13. #13
    King of de Jungle Garyvdh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    District 9
    Posts
    71,311
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Ja, every new message I create just adds onto the previous ones, even when I have archived them.
    I suspect you will have to completely empty your message store and completely delete all the old messages.

    Or just ask them for their e-mail and e-mail them.

  14. #14
    King of de Jungle Garyvdh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    District 9
    Posts
    71,311
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default

    Sheesh, even clearing out the message store is a mission!

  15. #15
    Captain Faptastic
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    35,671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post

    Or just ask them for their e-mail and e-mail them.
    This is what I have resorted to. Far easier.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •