Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: road trip with new car

Super Grandmaster

Default road trip with new car

we doing a 1k road trip next week. mom bought a 1.4 Hyundai i20. might go with the new car. i usually nail it on the long road but was wondering if i need to adjust my driving style for the new car. does the engine need to be 'run in'?

Quote Originally Posted by akescpt View Post
    we doing a 1k road trip next week. mom bought a 1.4 Hyundai i20. might go with the new car. i usually nail it on the long road but was wondering if i need to adjust my driving style for the new car. does the engine need to be 'run in'?
    Ask the dealer. Honda told me that I do not need to run the Civic's motor in, as did VW when i bought my Polo back then.

Super Grandmaster

thanks, will update later. gonna email the agent now.

Super Grandmaster

she reckons that the fuel consumption will be high for the first 1k. but her colleague says 3k. the official line is that it does not need to be 'run in' but she reckons that if you push it hard in the beginning you get a burnt smell. so now im just confused. might go to another dealer to ask them

Just drive it.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

she reckons that the fuel consumption will be high for the first 1k. but her colleague says 3k. the official line is that it does not need to be 'run in' but she reckons that if you push it hard in the beginning you get a burnt smell. so now im just confused. might go to another dealer to ask them
    The fuel consumption will be higher since the moving parts are still "tight". That should loosen up after about 5k and run really well after the first lube change.
    Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    Just drive it.
    +1

Super Grandmaster

i will drive it! but want to know if 120km/h for almost 1k kilometers will do damage? and when overtaking i might go past that!

i will drive it! but want to know if 120km/h for almost 1k kilometers will do damage? and when overtaking i might go past that!
    If you hit a stationary object at 120km/h, wearing a seatbelt and 8 airbags won't help prevent damage. It will most certainly break the engine.

Other than that, nope.

Blog Entries

It shouldn't, as long as you're in 5th at that speed. Keeping the revs between 2,000 - 3,500 for the majority of the drive should be quite safe. Over-revving and "lugging" (using an unnecessarily high gear at low speeds) are bad.
    "No! You idiot! You on the right track but on the wrong train." - RPhiri

It's normally only the performance cars that you need to run in. I did 1800kms in one day from Durban to Cape Town when my 1.4 RunX was brand new. It had less than 100kms on the clock before the trip. The car ran like a gem for the 4 years that I had it. Not a single problem.

Firstly you can't nail it with a 1.4 Hyundai i20

Secondly, if anything doing a 120km over long distance will run the car in. That's more or less the speed that the car is happiest at.

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    Just drive it.
    Haha, good one.
    CMD this: If Mr Bean went to the shops and told teddy that he would be back at 6pm, why was teddy surprised to see him home at 5pm?

Quote Originally Posted by lcbxx View Post
    Ask the dealer. Honda told me that I do not need to run the Civic's motor in, as did VW when i bought my Polo back then.
    yeah they tell you that because the bloddy idiot who drives the car to the showroom races it at 160 in a 120 zone ! ive seen this several times with the toyota blokes here in kzn UGH

this is why i wont ever buy a toyota or any new car for that matter lol
    Don't let me come play de la rey in front of your house and do donuts !

Quote Originally Posted by Tim182 View Post
    ...That's more or less the speed that the car is happiest at.
    a happy car is a .....

LOL

Super Grandmaster

won't be a problem at all just don't redline it or push it to 160kph

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast