Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: uno mia carb cleaning + tuning ?

Default uno mia carb cleaning + tuning ?

ok so ive been driving my uno for about 60k km(95 000km total) now and everything has been serviced except the carb (financial reason).

Now im getting 280km to 320km on R200 with current coastal fuel price

The carb seems to be leaking a little and im pretty sure it just needs a clean and retune? No other leaks detected through thorough inspection

how much would it cost roughly. i know it depends who you take it to but i just want a rough estimate. I cant do it myself as i dont have the right tools for it. i have done some reading and it seems to be out of my experience to tune a car lol (to scared to ^$% it up atm as we are planning a trip)

i have tried calling a few places but no answer because they are most* probably closed on the weekends...
    Stay in durban queensburgh.
    Last edited by Draconia2; 02-07-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    Don't let me come play de la rey in front of your house and do donuts !

Do you know where it's leaking? You can usually replace gaskets without stripping/adjusting everything which is fairly easy.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    Do you know where it's leaking? You can usually replace gaskets without stripping/adjusting everything which is fairly easy.
    what i do know is that its coming from the carb, will have to clean it up on the sides and see exactly. The uncle i usually go to says i can just try tighting the carbs bolts ?... which bolts i dont know ? all of them ?

the trip is in two weeks and i cant afford to screw around with the car now, maybe another time but not now.

also , if i need to buy a gasket kit ... should i go for the webber 32 gasket kit? everything is stock in the engine department. 1100cc uno mia
    Last edited by Draconia2; 02-07-2011 at 01:54 PM.

i phoned regal spares now and they charge me R65 for the gasket kit. now i just need someone to put it in sigh

If you were close by I would have helped, don't you have any friends/family with car experience.

Is there a manual guide for your carb on the net somewhere?
    EDIT: Nevermind, found some here,
    http://ebookpdfshare.com/fiat-uno-ha...ir-manual.html
    http://rapidlibrary.com/download_fil...ir+Manual+.pdf
    See chapter 3.

Which carb do you have, Weber or Solex (1100cc came with weber or solex, they are all listed in the above PDF)?

Might be useful for future reference, http://www.fiatforum.com/uno/72710-u...ng-querie.html
    Last edited by ponder; 02-07-2011 at 02:37 PM.

If you were close by I would have helped, don't you have any friends/family with car experience.

Is there a manual guide for your carb on the net somewhere?
    EDIT: Nevermind, found some here,
    http://ebookpdfshare.com/fiat-uno-ha...ir-manual.html
    http://rapidlibrary.com/download_fil...ir+Manual+.pdf
    See chapter 3.

Which model Weber do you have (they are all listed in the above PDF)?

Might be useful for future reference, http://www.fiatforum.com/uno/72710-u...ng-querie.html

thnx for the reply , nope dont have friends like that ! im getting the haynes manuals and checking them out as we speak. otherwise id just pop in at palm river motors in new germany. that guy has done an outstanding job everytime

Quote Originally Posted by Draconia2 View Post
    otherwise id just pop in at palm river motors in new germany. that guy has done an outstanding job everytime
    Are they across the road from the Bosch service centre which used to be Gamby's I think?

Are they across the road from the Bosch service centre which used to be Gamby's I think?
    nah its in new germany , 143 Crompton street, 3610 PTN. some kind of industrial area.

anyways , thanx for that manual ! i managed to narrow the faults down to 2 !

its either the wrong level settings or needle that needs replacing. what is a punctured float ?

seriously i cant afford replacing big stuff now !! getting married 16 july !
    Last edited by Draconia2; 02-07-2011 at 03:06 PM.

its either the wrong level settings or needle that needs replacing. what is a punctured float ?
    The float literally floats in a bowl which has petrol in it. The float is attached by arms which in turn regulate a inlet valve. If the float (which is hollow) is punctured it means it's taking in petrol which in turn will make it heavier so the level at which it floats in the petrol/bowl will be different which in turn effects the inlet valve actuation. I doubt the float is punctured though as it's not a common thing at all.

Edit: If you look at page 3.7 of that Haynes manual you will see image 8.6 in the top middle of the page, the arrow in that image is drawn straight across the float bowl, inside it are the floats & petrol that comes in via the petrol pump.

nah its in new germany , 143 Crompton street, 3610 PTN. some kind of industrial area.
    Yes, that's what I'm referring to, there's a bosch centre at 150 Crompton street, just around the corner from the shell garage in shepstone road.
    Last edited by ponder; 02-07-2011 at 03:33 PM.