Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Change TATA Fog Lamp, PLEASE help!

Grandmaster

Default Change TATA Fog Lamp, PLEASE help!

Hi There,

My front right Fog Lamp on my Tata Indica LSi '05 has blown and i want to change the bulb of the fog lamp.

Does anyone have any idea how I would do that? So far it looks like i need to take the bumper apart, but am thinking there MUST be an easier way!

Any help with this will be MUCH appreciated!

If it's like any other headlamp/foglight then get behind the bumper (jack it up if required) and remove the plastic/rubber sealing cover and simply swap out the bulb.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Grandmaster

will take a look... Thanks!

I took my Tata Indica 1.4 LSi, also an '05 model, to the local Tata dealer a few months ago, when both fog light globes blew within a week of each other. I watched the process - you HAVE to remove the entire front bumper assembly to gain access to rear of the fog light units in order to replace the H7 globes, luckily there are only a few bolts and an under tray protection panel to remove to do this.

I put in a set of Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs to the fog lights, as well as to the headlights, then got the dealer to adjust the headlight alignment for optimum spread - the improvement is VERY noticeable at night!

http://www.osram.co.za/osram_za/Prof...ily/index.html

PS - I noticed recently that the left fog light now has a crack in it, probably the result of a stone impact, so time to unbolt the bumper again when I eventually replace the fog light unit!

About a month ago, the left fog light globe failed, and I spoke to Tata Edenvale Service and had a booking made for Tuesday, 13 November 2012, in order to have the fog light globes replaced.

However, whilst driving the car in a rain storm on Thursday, 8 November, I noticed that the left front headlight dipped beam globe had also failed, meaning that there was NO left hand illumination on the vehicle apart from the park light, rendering the vehicle unroadworthy.

As I have to travel long distances often, leaving home @ 05h30, I was not willing to take the risk of driving without proper headlight illumination in the interim, as well as possibly incurring a fine from JMPD, as the vehicle would only be booked in for the fog light globe replacement on Tuesday (11 Nov).

Under the assumption that there would AGAIN be no cost factor involved in the replacement of these fog light globes, I took my vehicle to Tata Edenvale on Thursday afternoon so that the faulty fog light and headlight globe could be replaced before I undertake another long distance trip.

I was then informed by the service advisor that there would be a 30 minute labour charge to do this job.

As mentioned above, it is NOT possible for the average owner of a Tata Indica to be able to do the replacement of the fog light globes on their own, as I had seen what was entailed to gain access to them last time the globes were replaced by Tata Edenvale.

When the service agent consulted with one of the workshop supervisors, I heard them mention a cost factor of 0.7 when determining the invoice cost to me, instead of the 0.5 hours originally mentioned to me when I accepted the job card.

During the dis-assembly of the front bumper by the workshop mechanic, I could see what was happening through the reception area windows, and noticed that the mechanic let the entire front bumper assembly FALL TO THE CONCRETE WORKSHOP FLOOR, without there being any bubble wrap or other cushioning materials present to prevent any incidental damage to the unit.

The total time taken to do the replacement of the fog light globes was about 25-30 minutes, which included replacing the left front headlight globe as well.

I supplied the replacement globes for both the fog lights and the headlight myself so there was no additional cost from Tata Edenvale for these parts.

I was then presented with an invoice for 0.7 hours labour @ R 385-00 (excluding VAT), which brought the total to an amount of R 438,90.

I enquired as to whether I could either pay for this over 14 days - or pay the full amount next Friday, the 16th, as I work freelance and get paid on the 15th & 30th of each month.

I was then informed that unless I paid in full IMMEDIATELY, that my car would not be released to me until payment was made

As I was now basically without a vehicle if I did not pay - ALL AS A RESULT OF A BLOWN FOGLIGHT & HEADLIGHT GLOBE - I had no other choice but to begrudgingly pay the R 438,90 in order to get my vehicle back from TATA Edenvale, as I needed it for my trip the following morning for work purposes.

When I got back home, I checked the operation of the Headlights & Fog Lights, and found to my dismay that the front PARK LIGHTS WERE NOW NON FUNCTIONAL - having worked perfectly before I took the vehicle to Tata Edenvale.

I had to then RETURN BACK TO Tata Edenvale to get the Park Lights sorted out, and upon investigation, the mechanic found that the one of the park light units had been dislodged and was now not seated properly, most probably during the process of removing / refitting the front bumper assembly when the Fog Light globes were replaced, which had caused the Park Lights to now malfunction.

Once the Park Light unit was reseated properly by the mechanic, the park lights then functioned correctly.

This is now the SECOND time in just over 3 months that Tata Edenvale have returned my car to me after having work done on it, with NEW PROBLEMS that were a DIRECT RESULT of them working on it.

The previous occasion being when my car went in for the 90,000 km service with a FUNCTIONAL AIR CONDITIONER, and was returned to me with a NON FUNCTIONAL AIRCONDITIONER, which cost me over R 900-00 to restore to THE SAME CONDITION THAT IT WAS IN WHEN I HANDED THE CAR TO TATA EDENVALE SERVICE CENTRE, for which I have NOT RECEIVED ANY COMPENSATION from Tata for my additional cost outlay.

Now I have had to pay out an amount R 438,90 for the replacement of the fog light globes - WHICH WAS DONE AT NO COST THE PREVIOUS TIME I TOOK MY CAR TO TATA EDENVALE TO HAVE THEM REPLACED.

I have therefore requested a refund of this amount from Tata Edenvale, as I FAIL TO SEE WHY SOMETHING THAT WAS DONE FOR NO COST TO ME ON THE PREVIOUS OCCASION SHOULD NOW COST ME R 438,90 - an amount of money which is EVEN MORE than a tankful of petrol to me.

By the way, if the car had been designed and engineered by Tata in the first place so that it WAS IN FACT POSSIBLE for the 'average owner' to replace these fog light globes himself, WITHOUT HAVING TO DISMANTLE THE ENTIRE FRONT END, we would NOT be having this argument about Labour Costs in the first place, as I would have been able to do this repair on my own.

On Friday morning, when I activated the fog lights, the fuse blew - rendering the front & rear foglights inoperative - and when replacing the fuse and testing the front foglights, the fuse blew again!

So I have paid R 438-90 to Tata Edenvale to now have a car with NO foglights AT ALL - guess where I will be on Tuesday morning, to get it rectified - AT NO ADDITIONAL COST to me!

Grandmaster

Oh, that's you driving with foglights when there is no fog at all, sorry with fogall lights!
    I love the sense of camaraderie when an entire line of cars team up to prevent a jerk from cutting in at the front. Stay strong, brothers and sisters!

I only use the front fog lights (actually the correct term is 'driving lights') to provide additional low level illumination of the road surface ahead - primarily to look out for lurking potholes - LOL!!!

The rear fog light is only used in misty or torrential downpour conditions when visibility is substantially reduced - that's what it is designed for.

Default Front Fog Lights Functional Again!

After numerous e-mails to Tata Head Office, I finally managed to take my vehicle in to Tata Edenvale this week to have the problem with the Front Fog Lights blowing the 20A fuse when activated - which also renders the rear fog light inoperative as well - as they both share the same circuit.

The problem has now been resolved at last - and both front & rear fog lights are functional once again.

Thank you to both Tata HQ & Tata Edenvale for your assistance in this matter, much appreciated!

Lesson learnt. Don't buy a TATA. I was visiting a friend of mine's company in Namibia, they had their pick-up bakkies as company vehicles so he gave me one to use for the week I was there. Thing had 20,000km on the clock, was falling to pieces. Doors couldn't close, rattling like hell... Terrible vehicle.

Default TATA Reliability after 22 months motoring

Apart from the two service related incidents @ Tata Edenvale that I had experienced lately (see previous postings), I have not had ANY other major issues with my car since I bought it in Feb 2011 with 57,000 kms on it.

I have now just hit 94,000 kms, and my Indica still feels like it has just rolled off the production line.

In many instances, a good or reasonable product is let down by poor, indifferent, or just plain BAD after sales service - an all too common occurrence in the motoring industry here, as well with other consumer goods as well.

Luckily we now have the Consumer Protection Act as a weapon in our arsenal against this malaise, and can often use it to ensure swift resolution of customer complaints.

The only thing I have against TATA as a brand is that there is NO Haynes workshop manual available for this model (Indica / Indigo) - so in many instances, you have to take the vehicle to a TATA Service Centre to sort out any problems that occur, instead of being able to resolve them yourself.

I do have an extended service plan, but did not take out the additional 'Maintenance Plan' as this was not explained or offered to me at the time of purchase by the dealership I originally purchased the car from.

The only wear & tear items I have had to replace in 22 months are a set of front brake pads, the fog light & headlight globes, a set of wiper blades, and the aircon belts, for which parts & labour have been around R 1600-00 in total, not bad for almost 2 years of motoring.

Lesson learned though - check to see what after sales service / maintenance plans are available, and what they cover - or exclude, before driving the vehicle off the showroom floor next time!
    Last edited by Ivan Leon; 23-04-2014 at 09:37 AM.