Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: Google+ and your privacy

Default Google+ and your privacy

Google+ and your privacy

I’ve been using Google+ for a few days now and, despite being a “limited field test”, it has a brilliant approach to privacy.

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Thanks Jes, really summed up the Circles feature well, i have made a few of my own but haven't spent much time on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    Thanks Jes, really summed up the Circles feature well, i have made a few of my own but haven't spent much time on Google+
    Can I have a Google+ invite?

Yes I have had G+ for a few days now. It does look great
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Can see it in my mind's eye:Chilligirl's Compoota Factorie - Alle Compoota's Repaired Or Fixxited at Bargain Prices Notte to be Sneezed atte

Its awesome, much better than FB

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Sure man, just PM your gmail addy and remember it may take upto 2-3 days for the link to go through.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Can I have a Google+ invite?

Been using G+ for a couple of days and i'm loving it!
    It's Facebook by Google (and Google > FB), u even get a app that makes a tab for all the posts on your Facebook news feed directly to G+ which is awesome so no more opening different sites you can now get everything on G+.

Banned

Google? Privacy? That don't make sense. Ever gone with Tor on google? It goes bezerk not knowing your ip and collecting your stuff to sell crappy adds and show your ip to everyone. Me i stay of that engine

Sure man, just PM your gmail addy and remember it may take upto 2-3 days for the link to go through.
    Thanks! It took 2 to 3 seconds

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

hahaha awesome, anyone else just PM me

Thanks! It took 2 to 3 seconds

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dadiggle View Post
    Google? Privacy? That don't make sense. Ever gone with Tor on google? It goes bezerk not knowing your ip and collecting your stuff to sell crappy adds and show your ip to everyone. Me i stay of that engine
    And you think Facebook cares about your privacy with all the default http logon and selling the info left right and center. At least with Google I know who is using it and for what. Even better Google Dashboard https://www.google.com/dashboard/ allows you to edit all your settings for public/private viewing. Nevermind the Download and purge functions that is in your face under settings.

See http://www.google.com/intl/en-GB/privacy/ and compare that to Facebook http://www.facebook.com/policy.php
    Last edited by Elimentals; 09-07-2011 at 01:50 PM.
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

Grandmaster

Good article.

How you communicate in real life with e.g. your family is usually very different to how you communicate with your student buddies or work colleagues. Facebook got this part wrong since the FB Wall forces you to publish to all the people on your list, regardless of whether your message really applies to all of them or not. This usually leads to more generic (safe) status updates as well since your messages may be appropriate to a certain group of people on your list but not to others.

Google Circles gets this part right since you can push information to specific friend Circles which allows you to communicate exactly like you do in real life with that group of people. I also like that you can switch the main Stream in order to view only the posts of those in a specific Circle.

Google+ also makes it possible to add people who you don't know personally, to a circle in order to see their public posts within your Stream. Effectively giving you Twitter-like "follow" functionality as well.

The Google Hangout feature is great, giving you the ability to have a video conference with up to 10 people. Whenever someone grabs the mic, that person's webcam automatically moves to the top of the chat window so everyone can see who's talking. The only problem with Hangout is that it can get bandwidth intensive considering SA's slow-ish connections.

I already use a lot of Google's other services like GMail, Picasa photos etc. and Google+ incorporates all of this quite well. You get a black bar at the top of all these services now (if you've signed up with Google+) and you can actually do status updates from all those sites without having to switch back to the Google+ social site. Very convenient.

I didn't have to play with Google+ for long to realise that I prefer it to Facebook due to its more logical approach to functionality, but FB has the distinct advantage that it already has 750 million users and a large part of those end-users simply won't go through the hassle of joining or moving to another social network. I imagine Google+ will immediately make an impact on techie type early adopters but it will take a while (and perhaps some spectacular new feature) to convince the average Facebook end-user who simply wants to share a few photos with family online.

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I imagine Google+ will immediately make an impact on techie type early adopters but it will take a while (and perhaps some spectacular new feature) to convince the average Facebook end-user who simply wants to share a few photos with family online.
    Video conferencing by itself is a spectacular feature for me, because I have family that moved to New Zealand.
    I just hope that Google allows for an unlimited amount of photo's to be uploaded, just like Facebook.
    Picasa didn't allow that last time I looked

hahaha awesome, anyone else just PM me
    Got it. Thanks
    i nrrf iy

Grandmaster

I just hope that Google allows for an unlimited amount of photo's to be uploaded, just like Facebook.
    Picasa didn't allow that last time I looked
    As long as you're a Google+ user, Picasa is unlimited.
    More info:
    Thanks to Google Plus, Picasa Gets Unlimited Storage for Photos & Videos, Also Better Tagging

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast