Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Legal advice required regarding Telkom poles on my property

Angry Legal advice required regarding Telkom poles on my property

Hi there.

This is my 1st post.

I have applied for a new telkom line and ADSL in my area (Kyalami) and have been refused as there is reported cable theft in the area.
    I understand that cable theft is a serious issue, but there are 3 poles with cable on already in my garden.
    There used to be a line to the house and my neighbors are connected to the 3 telkom poles in my garden.
    They have also recently provided ADSL cable which terminates close to my driveway.
    If telkom refuses me service, can I legally remove the 3 poles on my property, even if my neighbors are connected to it?

Cheers

Welcome!

Dont you think thats a bit harsh? I could be one of your neighbors and not even know it until my ADSL stops working

Have you spoken to your neighbors? Are you sure the lines leading to there houses even work? If they do indeed have ADSL why not approach one of them and see if they want to go 50/50 on a 4meg uncapped line and share it via wifi?
    Digital Crap Shoveler

Hi there,

My frustration is after months and months of being messed around by the multiple call centres at our national telecommunications infrastructure provider.

I doubt that I would actually follow through on my "threat", but it would be nice to know that I had a legal right to threaten them with.

We are on a plot so the wi-fi might be quite weak, but is a possible solution - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    Welcome!

Have you spoken to your neighbors? Are you sure the lines leading to there houses even work? If they do indeed have ADSL why not approach one of them and see if they want to go 50/50 on a 4meg uncapped line and share it via wifi?
    agree .. share it with the "hood" and recoup costs .. end up paying a fraction of the total

Quote Originally Posted by David Murray View Post
    Hi there,

We are on a plot so the wi-fi might be quite weak, but is a possible solution - thanks
    just need
    2 x 8 port switch's R 150.00 ea
    2 x Ubiquiti - NanoStation 2 from ... www.miro.co.za - 2.4 GHz 10 dBi CPE @ R 900 -1000 ea
    network cable.

I love the idea - Tell Telkom to take their poles and shove them where the sun don't shine if they are not prepared to provide you with service.
    Wish that would make a difference, cause as consumers we have to accept poor service from them. If only we had a stick sorry pole to beat them with!!

Unless the poles were very recently planted on your property, you have no legal right to remove them (as per the Telecommunications Act). You could end up with a hefty repair bill if you tamper with them...
    ELO: Here is the news...

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by David Murray View Post
    My frustration is after months and months of being messed around by the multiple call centres at our national telecommunications infrastructure provider.
    Have you tried applying in person at a Telkom Direct shop? The call centres aren't much use when comes to this type of problem.

Why not check if you can get Wimax coverage?

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Wimhotep View Post
    just need
    2 x 8 port switch's R 150.00 ea
    2 x Ubiquiti - NanoStation 2 from ... www.miro.co.za - 2.4 GHz 10 dBi CPE @ R 900 -1000 ea
    network cable.
    Do this - content sharing thrown in for free!

Banned

maybe your too far from the service center, They steal cables pretty much anywhere