Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Best software for complete server replication and fail over?

Blog Entries

Default Best software for complete server replication and fail over?

I have a pretty busy Cpanel CentOS server. It has some very important clients on it and I want to make a complete fail over server. I assume I will need to do this by purchasing another server, setting up hardware load balancing and then replicating and syncing the two servers.

Whats the best way to get a complete replication and syncing happening between the two servers? Basically, the idea is that if one of the servers goes down, the other server automaitcally picks up the slack and users dont notice any downtime whatsover. Neither do they need to make any configuration changes or lose any mail.

Ive never done something like this so I have no idea what the best options out there are, or if the solution our data center has recommended (with the ip load balancer) is the best. It has to be a solution for Cpanel.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

Only way I know how to do this is using a SAN for DataStore + VMware

Click http://www.vmware.com/technical-reso...balancing.html for more details

Maybe you can even look at 2 x VMware servers with http://www.veeam.com/vmware-esx-backup.html
    Last edited by Elimentals; 21-07-2011 at 11:10 AM.
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

What you are after in broadest terms is called HA ( High Availability ) and can be achieved in many ways. From Database replication and round-robin DNS to a full virtualized server replication.

When looking at HA you need to determine your budget by working out things like current average downtimes,costs incurred by those downtimes,and then balance this to different HA scenarios. Automatic switching with 0 downtime will bump the price by quite a bit so you'd best calculate exactly what you can afford to do.
    www.domaincheap.co.za
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PsyWulf View Post
    What you are after in broadest terms is called HA ( High Availability ) and can be achieved in many ways. From Database replication and round-robin DNS to a full virtualized server replication.

When looking at HA you need to determine your budget by working out things like current average downtimes,costs incurred by those downtimes,and then balance this to different HA scenarios. Automatic switching with 0 downtime will bump the price by quite a bit so you'd best calculate exactly what you can afford to do.
    Well, I currently pay around R3000 for the one server, so Im willing to spend R9000 a month all in all for this (though I would prefer to get it cheaper ).
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

I would start by speaking to VMWare ... they virtualise entire installations !

What's the current server's:
    RAM
    Processors
    Average CPU load
    Average memory load
    Total storage in use
    www.domaincheap.co.za
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance