Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need to go WiMax for internet...... who should I go with?

Hybrid View

Grandmaster

Default Need to go WiMax for internet...... who should I go with?

Hi Guys/Girls,

Due to circumstances beyond my control (lost access to a very sweet internet setup) I'm in the position where I need to get internet access. Unfortunately due to the way that the complex where I stay was built I can't go with ADSL. So I'm forced to go with either WiMax or 3G. I'd like to give WiMax a try since it seems to be the more stable option. 3G seemed like a nice choice with the latest deals form Cell-C and 8ta, but they force you into 12 or 24 month contracts. Also where I live, barely falls into Cell-C coverage and I have no coverage for 8ta at the moment. I play FPS games online and 3G latency still hasn't really got to the point where it's good enough for it.

So WiMax seems to be the way to go. I just need to decide who to go with. Screamer seems to be the only option since I don't have coverage for Amobia and I can't find Neotels coverage map for Wimax. I told myself I'd stay well away from Neotel after reading all the horror stories associated with them and then their pricing isn't that good either from what I saw on their site..... unless I was reading it wrong.

But after researching a bit today I now find that even Screamer has it's problems. Will they sort it out or should I rather stay away?

Are there any other options I can go with?
    The toxicity of our city
    ...........__~o............____.....
    ........../``.....\........./DDDD\....
    .........|\/\/\/\..\....../DDDDDD\...
    .(\ /)............\..\.../DDDDDDDD\..
    .(O.o)<------...\..\/DDTELKOMDD\.
    .(> <)............/__|_____________|.
    .........|\/\/\//....//..............\\...
    .........\___/...|_|..............|_|
    !!!Run Bunny Run!!!
    Just Keep Swimming!

Telkom also offers WIMAX. The cost is something like R250/month and then you can get your bandwidth from any ISP.
    We will only have a truly open society when everything is open source.

Quote Originally Posted by kim_bcs View Post
    Telkom also offers WIMAX. The cost is something like R250/month and then you can get your bandwidth from any ISP.

Now, this freaks me out; a few months ago - this topic was discussed to death & the general consensus was that Telkom NO longer offer this service!!!
    I wish RPM could get a Telkom rep here for clarity!

Telkoms Wimax only operates at 512k. The official lines seems to be that they do not offer it anymore. They still maintain their clients who are on Wimax, but do not seem to offer it to new subscribers. Though it seems if someone gives up their Wimax connection they may offer the equipment and connection to someone else who has been on a waiting list or unable to get a land line. But the chances of speaking to anyone at Telkoms call center who has any idea about the situation are very slim.

I have heard some good reports about Neotels Wimax.

Grandmaster

I assume Telkom will also have 1Mbps Wimax lines? Dependent on your signal strength of course.
    The toxicity of our city
    !!!Run Bunny Run!!!
    Just Keep Swimming!

Grandmaster

Well, best thing to do is give Screamer and Neotel a call and let their respective techies come have a look at my signal strength. Whichever is best I'll go with.

Thanks for the input everyone.
    The toxicity of our city
    !!!Run Bunny Run!!!
    Just Keep Swimming!

Quote Originally Posted by Toxin View Post
    Well, best thing to do is give Screamer and Neotel a call and let their respective techies come have a look at my signal strength. Whichever is best I'll go with.

Thanks for the input everyone.
    with all due respect STAY CLEAR FROM SCREAMER - U DON'T NEED THE HEADACHE ! READ THE SCREAMER THREADS IN THIS FORUM

What amazes me is that at one point everyoine was rooting for Screamer. How could a company have gone from being totally up there to so far down in the gutter ?

I havent seen many replies from howzit since all the crap started .... :/
    So Iburst has gone the same way as Neotel and Sentech... Iburst=Neotel=Sentech(R.I.P)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Waterworth View Post
    What amazes me is that at one point everyoine was rooting for Screamer. How could a company have gone from being totally up there to so far down in the gutter ?

I havent seen many replies from howzit since all the crap started .... :/
    Howzit has been logging in to the forums but has stayed silent on anything to do with Screamer.

Can't say I blame her/him. It's bloody embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    with all due respect STAY CLEAR FROM SCREAMER - U DON'T NEED THE HEADACHE ! READ THE SCREAMER THREADS IN THIS FORUM
    arj, I have to agree with you 110%. If you haven't gone the route of spending the initial fees for installation, rather stay away from Screamer. I have been using them for close on 2 years and the service has not improved at all. I even recommended them to all my colleagues who have since had to cancel their accounts; with the ICASA issues and change to the spectrum they can utilize, most of my colleagues were no longer in service range.

Quote Originally Posted by Slayeruser View Post
    everyone gives screames so much crap...... and yes there is 0 support but when it does work it works
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1412361135.png
    slayer, I agree that the speedtest shows excellent results but from personal experience I TOTALLY agree with arj. Their service is terrible, the uptime is far from acceptable and support is non-existent.

Further to that, from the last couple of reports and the blow out with ICASA I would think it wiser to invest your hard earned cash in a legitimate organization who will actual improve their service offering.

My suggestion to anyone looking at Wireless is to go to http://www.wapa.org.za/ and see who is recommended in the area.

The Neotel Wimax is really good, I have there package, but is pricey. Telkom still do offer WiMax, as a friend of mine in the CT area, just got a WiMax package from telkom, but according to them it was only because they didnt have ADSL support in that area.

On my Neotel 1mb WiMax Uncapped, i do close to 400GB in a month and my speed has never been shaped/dropped. My Ping is consistently at 55ms when playing online games on SA servers.

I am unable to find any 1mbps+ Wimax providers, with decent pricing. I am going with AMOBIA soon.

everyone gives screames so much crap...... and yes there is 0 support but when it does work it works
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/1412361135.png

It's cause you are the only one whom seems to be working.

Lets compair your results with onaz's...

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    It's cause you are the only one whom seems to be working.

Lets compair your results with onaz's...
    Mine works too...mostly.
    This morning however, we had nothing again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast