Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Tether for Blackberry and BIS

Grandmaster

Default Tether for Blackberry and BIS

Is it true that by using Tether you can browse the net on your PC using your BB as a modem and it'll make use of your BIS subscription instead of being billed for it? Can someone test it out and post back.

Use BB as modem - Yes
    Browse using BIS while tethered - No
    www.domaincheap.co.za
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance

Somerset West, Western Cape, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlight View Post
    Is it true that by using Tether you can browse the net on your PC using your BB as a modem and it'll make use of your BIS subscription instead of being billed for it? Can someone test it out and post back.
    It will, if you live in America where BIS is a capped service and works much the same way as our normal internet, over there you enter a username and password along with your APN settings to access BIS, their providers don't mind your BIS being used via your PC as its not unlimited, tether will read the apn settings and use those.
    Hauwei Ascend P6 4.4.2 OmniRom
    Nexus 7 | CM11
    Reme Le Hane | Portfolio | LinkedIn | Tumblr

I have got tether, the program, on my torch and laptop. Have been testing it now for 3 days and tomorrow will get my bill and check if they have charged me anything. I don't think my provider will, because when I connect it shows the BB logo the whole time I'm connected. Will keep you updated

Somerset West, Western Cape, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by BazzaR View Post
    I have got tether, the program, on my torch and laptop. Have been testing it now for 3 days and tomorrow will get my bill and check if they have charged me anything. I don't think my provider will, because when I connect it shows the BB logo the whole time I'm connected. Will keep you updated
    Will always show the log, connecting via the PC creates its own connection without affecting the phones active connection.
    Hauwei Ascend P6 4.4.2 OmniRom
    Nexus 7 | CM11
    Reme Le Hane | Portfolio | LinkedIn | Tumblr

And phone never switches to modem mode, and still receive all BB messages emails and so on without flinching

Quote Originally Posted by CranialBlaze View Post
    Will always show the log, connecting via the PC creates its own connection without affecting the phones active connection.
    Yes but the phone and BB server think you are browsing on your phone, not laptop via phone. So can't see the difference? I think, or at least hope

Grandmaster

Thanks Bazzar - please let us know how the bill turns out!

Could someone post the settings used. I have BES wonder if it will work.

Super Grandmaster

don't go ape & DL the interwebs that way...

The SPs are getting mad & are looking at ways to limit people on how much data they can use through BIS..

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous View Post
    don't go ape & DL the interwebs that way...

The SPs are getting mad & are looking at ways to limit people on how much data they can use through BIS..
    Yea :/

During the whole VC and 100MB scenario, I downloaded a program on my BB to see my average data use per day. Even I'm sitting at 10.3MB per day without ever downloading . 100MB was insane ...
    http://www.riverbed.com/

Jägermeiʃter can fix that!

Grandmaster

I'm always on the lookout for legal open wifi hotspots. My phone has about 20 stored. People often forget their bb's are wifi capable