Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Incoming calls not being received (while on UMTS 2100?)

Default Incoming calls not being received (while on UMTS 2100?)

For the past week or so my wife and I have been having trouble receiving incoming calls. Calls to her calls mostly go to voicemail, but people calling me mostly get a "subscriber unavailable" message (probably because of this issue).
    Incoming calls seem to be more likely to come through when we are not on the 3G network.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

I did call 140 on Friday and was told to enter some ## codes on my phone and then turn it off and on again.
    The ## codes didn't work, and I ended up calling 140 again on Saturday and was told it would be escalated and someone would contact us on Tuesday, which didn't happen.
    Last edited by ginggs; 03-08-2011 at 02:05 PM.

It gets even weirder, it seems I can receive calls on the 3G network when my cell ID is 42513, but not when my cell ID is 42516.

From 1geoff99's post here, it would seem that I can receive calls when my phone is on UMTS 900, but not when it is on UMTS 2100.

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    It gets even weirder, it seems I can receive calls on the 3G network when my cell ID is 42513, but not when my cell ID is 42516.

From 1geoff99's post here, it would seem that I can receive calls when my phone is on UMTS 900, but not when it is on UMTS 2100.
    Some more testing today, I can receive calls when on cell ID 34251 (GSM) and 42513 (3G), but not when on 42516 (3G).

When I am outside I pick up 42516 and when I go inside the building it switches to 42513 consistently. To me this indicates that 42516 is a 2100MHz cell and 42513 is a 900MHz cell.

Some more testing today, I can receive calls when on cell ID 34251 (GSM) and 42513 (3G), but not when on 42516 (3G).

When I am outside I pick up 42516 and when I go inside the building it switches to 42513 consistently. To me this indicates that 42516 is a 2100MHz cell and 42513 is a 900MHz cell.
    Hi ginggs

Thanks for feedback, very interesting.
    Will update networks.

Regards
    ~AM~

Super Grandmaster

I agree regarding your suspicion of the tower ID ending in 6 being UMTS2100. Earlier this year there weren't any 6's in Stellenbosch but since noticing a UTMS2100 tower on a UMTS2100 only phone I've been the 6's on MDMA.
    I will see if I can reproduce your results tonight.

I did call 140 on Friday and was told to enter some ## codes on my phone and then turn it off and on again.
    The ## codes didn't work, and I ended up calling 140 again on Saturday and was told it would be escalated and someone would contact us on Tuesday, which didn't happen.
    I've just called 140 and found out that the previous query was closed because we couldn't be contacted.

I explained the problem again, this time including the cell ID information and have been given a new reference number.

I've just called 140 and found out that the previous query was closed because we couldn't be contacted.

I explained the problem again, this time including the cell ID information and have been given a new reference number.
    Hi Ginggs

the TT i have logged are still open will mail them to you.

Regards
    ~AM~

Super Grandmaster

I just checked with my Nokia 6680 (UMTS2100 only) and I can make and receive calls on 3G.

I called 140 to check on the status of my query and found it was closed on August 10 after they tested my line and apparently I was able to receive calls.

In the last week I haven't had any complaints of people being unable to call me and the test calls I have asked people to make have all come through, so I assume the problem has been solved.

Now just to get my voicemail working so people can leave messages again...