Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 34 1 234511 ... LastLast

Thread: MTN Uncapped Lite for R299

Default MTN Uncapped Lite for R299

Hi Guys,

After moving to a new location with shocking ADSL, I am tempted at looking at a 3G device. I am not a heavy downloader [ read Pirate...arrrrr], my habits are internet surfing, driver downloads and maybe some online gaming now and then. Primarily the unit will be for my wife for her online courses etc.

What is the MTN uncapped lite like. What sort of speeds are expected on the network, what sort of latency is experienced to local servers and international ones. I expect this is not good enough to play World of Warcraft on for instance. But maybe some Battlefield Bad Company 2 on SAIX servers perhaps?

Your feedback will be appreciated.

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

I know they have a fair usage story of 3Gb once you reach that they throttle you to 128kbps
    Some times the internet is so slow, it would be faster to just fly to Google's headquarters and ask them this $h1t in person.!

I'd say you're much better off with 8.ta, if you have coverage.

8ta FTW! Best mobile broadband in the country atm...
    -meh

Yes I was looking at their 10GIG for R199 bundle, Seems decent value for money. This however does not include a modem, what do they go for?

I'm not sure what they sell the 21Mbps modem for, but they sold me the E173 (7.2Mpbs) for R280.
    | 3930K @ 4.6 | HD7950 | 16GB | 120GB SSD | 2x250GB + 1x1TB HDD | Samsung BX2331 |
    Join a South African WCG Team: Disharmonic

hey guys

What are the other bundle options for 8ta?

Any one have experience with the 128kbps speed?
    Is the web browseable on that?
    Even if it is not "blistering" 1mbps, would I still be able to browse comfortably?

Only MTN has decent coverage at home and on the farm, so no 8ta(unless 8ta on MTN roaming is good as well)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Yes I was looking at their 10GIG for R199 bundle, Seems decent value for money. This however does not include a modem, what do they go for?
    If you take the 8ta contract you can get an 21mbs dongle for R699

Quote Originally Posted by kolaval View Post
    Any one have experience with the 128kbps speed?
    Is the web browseable on that?
    Even if it is not "blistering" 1mbps, would I still be able to browse comfortably?

Only MTN has decent coverage at home and on the farm, so no 8ta(unless 8ta on MTN roaming is good as well)
    those speeds are horrible. i've experianced them one too many times. thinking of crossing over to 8ta

Is the 8ta 10 gig for 199 per month 10gigs per month? Or 10 gigs over 12 months? Also can u use the 8ta sim in any device? Even in a laptops sim card place? And how is the coverage of 8ta in terms of 3G because I also live on a plot and they keep stealing our phone lines and telkom refuses to replace them now.

Default 8ta

Hi Richardxtc

I am personally using the 8ta 3G bundle and its 10GB per month for the next 24 months at 199 every month. You can use the sim in any Huawei 3G modem and I presume any other modem/mifi modem. I used it with MTN's one as long as u can get hold of the 8ta software or the generic Huawei software. When you are signing up 8ta will check your location to check if there is significant coverage but you can also check the website: http://www.8ta.com/coverage/8tanetwork/ for sufficient coverage.

P.S. When you reach your cap it gives you an option to surf out of your bundle at normal rates or purchase more bundles.

Hope this helps....

Quote Originally Posted by isie View Post
    I know they have a fair usage story of 3Gb once you reach that they throttle you to 128kbps
    i was at the mtn store enquiring about this deal

and aked the guy about speeds and he said you would get 3g hsdpa which would be +- 3.6mb for the 1st 3gigs and they throttle you to 1mb after that
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
    We're on the internet to troll not to make bonds.

Quote Originally Posted by samr1wp View Post
    i was at the mtn store enquiring about this deal

and aked the guy about speeds and he said you would get 3g hsdpa which would be +- 3.6mb for the 1st 3gigs and they throttle you to 1mb after that
    Throttle to 1mb, thought it was the ridiculous 128 kbps (thats kilo bits and not kilo bytes = 1 mega bits ps)

I got this package when my Vodacom package expired. I couldn't go the 8ta route since there is not coverage in my area. I'm happy so far since I don't need to do big downloads at home. Just need to test it with some COD BO/MW to get a feel for the latencies. Otherwise, very happy. I went for the Huawei B660 router and it works great.

Page 1 of 34 1 234511 ... LastLast