Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why must I be in debt before they're willing to give me a phone contract?

Default Why must I be in debt before they're willing to give me a phone contract?

Tried to get a contract (activechat 200/400 special by Cell C on the Galaxy S 2) today and to my surprise, I'm not allowed to get one. Turns out that because I'm not in any debt, I don't have a credit record and hence I'm not allowed to get a contract. I think cool, crazy/stupid/retarded but understandable. I go to the bank, get an official account statement on one of my accounts showing that I can basically pay the whole contract cash 15 times over on the spot but somehow that's not enough evidence for them.

Staff was helpful and I knew it wasn't her fault as it's hardcoded in their system so I wasn't going to take it out on her. She suggested I open a store account with Edgars or something and pay it off for 3 months before I get back in there.
    Thing is, everything I buy, I buy cash/eft.

I'm therefore wondering if anyone can give me a tip/a contact with CellC (I'm really not a fan of paying twice the amount monthly at Vodacom with a R2.5k pay-in) that I can utilise so that a person who actually lives within their means comfortably can get a mobile phone contract?
    change is inevitable... cognitiveradio.co.za

So truly pathetic this system we live under.

I bumped my head against it around 30 years ago and nothing has changed. I needed to buy a new Fridge (the hand-me-down died) and I could not afford to buy it cash. Furniture store told me exactly what you were told "go open an Edgars' account" to create a credit record.

Good luck.
    There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity

I would have suggested asking someone to sign surety for you, but even though there's a surety section in the contract, Cell-C seem to have absolutely no idea what it means. A couple of months ago, my wife, a freelance photographer, tried to take out a Red Bull Mobile contract. Filled in the forms, surety section and all, and Cell-C want proof of her income. Why, I ask, as I've filled in the surety section and here is proof of my income. She needs to prove she can pay for the contract. Now if she could do that, why on earth would I be signing surety? Tried two different branches, calls to head office, to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    So truly pathetic this system we live under.

I bumped my head against it around 30 years ago and nothing has changed. I needed to buy a new Fridge (the hand-me-down died) and I could not afford to buy it cash. Furniture store told me exactly what you were told "go open an Edgars' account" to create a credit record.

Good luck.
    Yea, total joke if you ask me. Thing is, if I really wanted a phone badly, I'd just buy it cash, wouldn't affect me much at all. It's just that my company offers to pay me for my phone bills so I see it as kind of pointless that I pay for it when someone else is offering to do it for me at no cost to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    I would have suggested asking someone to sign surety for you, but even though there's a surety section in the contract, Cell-C seem to have absolutely no idea what it means. A couple of months ago, my wife, a freelance photographer, tried to take out a Red Bull Mobile contract. Filled in the forms, surety section and all, and Cell-C want proof of her income. Why, I ask, as I've filled in the surety section and here is proof of my income. She needs to prove she can pay for the contract. Now if she could do that, why on earth would I be signing surety? Tried two different branches, calls to head office, to no avail.
    Thanks but I tried that (had my girlfriend with me), they said even if someone signed surety, I still would need a credit record for the system to even allow them to proceed (surety or not).

Quote Originally Posted by UnUnOctium View Post
    Yea, total joke if you ask me. Thing is, if I really wanted a phone badly, I'd just buy it cash, wouldn't affect me much at all. It's just that my company offers to pay me for my phone bills so I see it as kind of pointless that I pay for it when someone else is offering to do it for me at no cost to me.
    What is the point of RICA and FICA and NCA and all these other compliance measures if this archaic process is still blocks new consumers?
    ELO: Here is the news...

You don't need to go into debt. You just need a credit history. Open an Edgars account. Pay X amount monthly into the account without buying anything, or just deposit a large sum up front. Build up a positive balance. Purchase on the card. Voila, you now have a positive credit history!

Blog Entries

I recently enquired about the 8ta R199 10Gig promotion.

Being unemployed and unable to provide a payslip and the fact that my last 3 months banks statements show no proof of income, even though the balance shows I could pay the whole 24months up front more than once over.....sorry sir we can't help you....

The fact that I have been paying a Telkom bill without problems for several years, did not help either.
    Go figure...

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowEn View Post
    You don't need to go into debt. You just need a credit history. Open an Edgars account. Pay X amount monthly into the account without buying anything, or just deposit a large sum up front. Build up a positive balance. Purchase on the card. Voila, you now have a positive credit history!
    +1 but would not recommend a clothing account like Edgars as they are very expensive unless your already purchasing items from them. We opened up an Ackermans account in Jan as we use it for the kids - we try and keep the balance in the positive.

A credit card is another great option.

EDIT: To build up an excellent credit rating you should always pay more than the minimal amount each month as they see this info from you credit history. I discovered this 10yrs ago when I had a Markams account and always paid R50 more than I had to. Within a year I had an excellent credit rating and have never had issues with being turned down except for CellC once (was rather suprised about that one)
    Last edited by cbrunsdonza; 13-08-2011 at 02:46 PM.
    Character is how you treat those that can do nothing for you.

Lol same thing happened to me. I have zero debt except for my bond but they wouldn't give me a decent contract. Truly ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simply get a credit card and build a credit record with that. You don't have to go into debt, you can simply transfer money onto it and use it just like a cheque card while building a credit record

Quote Originally Posted by Tim182 View Post
    Simply get a credit card and build a credit record with that. You don't have to go into debt, you can simply transfer money onto it and use it just like a cheque card while building a credit record
    Cool, but then they need me to have had it for 3 months. Oki, no prob, I can wait but I highly doubt that same special will even exist in 3 months' time :/ That's why I'd be eternally grateful if anyone knows of some contact in their 'review' department if they even have (as the one connected forumite mentioned and then deleted their post).

Blog Entries

Also contact the credit bureaus , I think there are 3 in ZA. For some reason some of them don't update their details or contain incorrect info.

Guys start building your credit history now, the longer it is the more negotiable your interest rates will be if you need a home or car loan etc.

MyBB Legend

Quote Originally Posted by UnUnOctium View Post
    Tried to get a contract (activechat 200/400 special by Cell C on the Galaxy S 2) today and to my surprise, I'm not allowed to get one. Turns out that because I'm not in any debt, I don't have a credit record and hence I'm not allowed to get a contract. I think cool, crazy/stupid/retarded but understandable. I go to the bank, get an official account statement on one of my accounts showing that I can basically pay the whole contract cash 15 times over on the spot but somehow that's not enough evidence for them.

Staff was helpful and I knew it wasn't her fault as it's hardcoded in their system so I wasn't going to take it out on her. She suggested I open a store account with Edgars or something and pay it off for 3 months before I get back in there.
    Thing is, everything I buy, I buy cash/eft.

I'm therefore wondering if anyone can give me a tip/a contact with CellC (I'm really not a fan of paying twice the amount monthly at Vodacom with a R2.5k pay-in) that I can utilise so that a person who actually lives within their means comfortably can get a mobile phone contract?
    Sigh. The system is so stupid.

Anyway, on the point of a pay-in for the S2, you don't need to. I got my contract for R319 p/m on Vodacom without any pay-in.

MyBB Legend

http://www.vodacom.co.za/vodacom/Dea...er+min+bill%29

This is the one I have. No pay-in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast