Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast

Thread: Google to acquire Motorola Mobility

Default Supercharging Android: Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility

Supercharging Android: Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility

Since its launch in November 2007, Android has not only dramatically increased consumer choice but also improved the entire mobile experience for users. Today, more than 150 million Android devices have been activated worldwide—with over 550,000 devices now lit up every day—through a network of about 39 manufacturers and 231 carriers in 123 countries. Given Android’s phenomenal success, we are always looking for new ways to supercharge the Android ecosystem. That is why I am so excited today to announce that we have agreed to acquire Motorola.

Motorola has a history of over 80 years of innovation in communications technology and products, and in the development of intellectual property, which have helped drive the remarkable revolution in mobile computing we are all enjoying today. Its many industry milestones include the introduction of the world’s first portable cell phone nearly 30 years ago, and the StarTAC—the smallest and lightest phone on earth at time of launch. In 2007, Motorola was a founding member of the Open Handset Alliance that worked to make Android the first truly open and comprehensive platform for mobile devices. I have loved my Motorola phones from the StarTAC era up to the current DROIDs.

In 2008, Motorola bet big on Android as the sole operating system across all of its smartphone devices. It was a smart bet and we’re thrilled at the success they’ve achieved so far. We believe that their mobile business is on an upward trajectory and poised for explosive growth.

Motorola is also a market leader in the home devices and video solutions business. With the transition to Internet Protocol, we are excited to work together with Motorola and the industry to support our partners and cooperate with them to accelerate innovation in this space.

Motorola’s total commitment to Android in mobile devices is one of many reasons that there is a natural fit between our two companies. Together, we will create amazing user experiences that supercharge the entire Android ecosystem for the benefit of consumers, partners and developers everywhere.

This acquisition will not change our commitment to run Android as an open platform. Motorola will remain a licensee of Android and Android will remain open. We will run Motorola as a separate business. Many hardware partners have contributed to Android’s success and we look forward to continuing to work with all of them to deliver outstanding user experiences.

We recently explained how companies including Microsoft and Apple are banding together in anti-competitive patent attacks on Android. The U.S. Department of Justice had to intervene in the results of one recent patent auction to “protect competition and innovation in the open source software community” and it is currently looking into the results of the Nortel auction. Our acquisition of Motorola will increase competition by strengthening Google’s patent portfolio, which will enable us to better protect Android from anti-competitive threats from Microsoft, Apple and other companies.

The combination of Google and Motorola will not only supercharge Android, but will also enhance competition and offer consumers accelerating innovation, greater choice, and wonderful user experiences. I am confident that these great experiences will create huge value for shareholders.

I look forward to welcoming Motorolans to our family of Googlers.

Posted by Larry Page, CEO
    Interesting given the spat with patents
    Last edited by krycor; 15-08-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    When have you demonstrated leadership skills?
    "Well my best example would be in online video gaming. I pretty much run the show; it takes a lot to do that."

Now there's a third thread on this topic ... LOL!
    What you do is your history. What you set in motion is your legacy. - Leonard Sweet

Blog Entries

Epic!

Default Google to acquire Motorola Mobility

Google to buy Motorola Mobility

Search giant Google has announced its intent to buy Motorola’s mobile handset business.

Cool

sweet... let the patent war begin!!!

Uncle Ballmer is not a happy man I'm sure. Steve^2 will react. Apple's got enough cash to buy just about anybody I guess and M$ should have a sizeable patent portfolio of their own ... especially with Nokia in their camp. I N T E R E S T I N G !
    What you do is your history. What you set in motion is your legacy. - Leonard Sweet

good for the consumer...
    https://www.invoicesonline.co.za - Professional invoicing & recurring billing for South African entrepreneurs & professionals.

This is old news.
    MyBB needs to be wake up.

LOL... I see TechCrunch coined the deal name 'Googoroola'!

Quote Originally Posted by Gemaskerde Tuinvurk View Post
    LOL... I see TechCrunch coined the deal name 'Googoroola'!
    Would have been easier to just call it "Moogle"

I hope I am not speaking too soon...but I am excited about this. Motorola does fantastic hardware and now with the financial injection of Google they will reach heights never achieved before. AND NOW I MIGHT GET GINGERBREAD FOR ME DEFY! lolz.

Go Go Moto! :-)

OckieMoto
    I don't pay taxes, I pay royalties
    Pieter Dirk Uys

Quote Originally Posted by ocleroux View Post
    I hope I am not speaking too soon...but I am excited about this. Motorola does fantastic hardware and now with the financial injection of Google they will reach heights never achieved before. AND NOW I MIGHT GET GINGERBREAD FOR ME DEFY! lolz.

Go Go Moto! :-)

OckieMoto
    This is a desperate attempt by Google because they know what is coming with WP7 and Nokia and then they will be doomed

http://www.winrumors.com/nokia-and-m...ws-phone-gain/

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Average View Post
    This is a desperate attempt by Google because they know what is coming with WP7 and Nokia and then they will be doomed

http://www.winrumors.com/nokia-and-m...ws-phone-gain/
    pffffft. Talk to the hand sista cause da face aint listening!

Besides....Nokia build quality feels so cheap nowadays that even ZTE Fong Kong product feels more solid in your hand. :-)

:-)
    I don't pay taxes, I pay royalties
    Pieter Dirk Uys

go Goooooooooogle!!

I LOVE ANDROID!

Wow, I'm astonished Google are distracting themselves with this (proposed) acquisition. Smacks of reaction and even rashness by Messrs Page & Co. BHOF Tip#3 when gowing fast: "stick to the knitting". Maybe they're after the patent portfolio and plan to sell off the husks in a few years? Still, $12 bazillion is a helluva lot of money to protect a zero-revenue operating system! I think Larry's been spooked by MS-Nokia and this is a panic buy. But it's all speculation now 'cause it'll take a few years for the rinse cycle to end. Once the deal's inked expect some ooh-ahh Motoogle phones and tablet announcements that will inevitably push most upper-brand Android IHVs back to Microsoft.

In other news just in, Windows Phone marketshare falls to 2%.

Interesting times ahead.

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast