Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Samsung 51" 3D Plasma PS51D550 TV Opinions

I've had my 51D550 just over 10 months and have clocked up 2300 hours of use on it, and it hasn't given any problems. If I had the choice again, for the price there is no other tv I would have gotten instead.
    :-)

Hi People

I am considering purchasing this tv (Samsung PS51D550). Seen it for R8 999.
    My PC will be close to the tv so wanted to connect the pc to it via the hdmi ports on both ends. It should work as the graphics card displays 1920x1080 currently to my LCD monitor.

Wanted to know if there will be any issues with having the pc displayed on the tv? damage to the screen, colours looking "off", issues when gaming (via the pc) etc... basically any issues that I should consider.

The room is dimly lit with a small amount of sunlight coming in (sunlight can be mostly eliminated with the blinds).
    However the ceiling light (normal 60w globe) is in the middle of the room and will be in in line with the tv but at a higher height. The tv, light and where I sit are all in line but at varying heights.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wice565 View Post
    Hi People

My PC will be close to the tv so wanted to connect the pc to it via the hdmi ports on both ends. It should work as the graphics card displays 1920x1080 currently to my LCD monitor.

Wanted to know if there will be any issues with having the pc displayed on the tv? damage to the screen, colours looking "off", issues when gaming (via the pc) etc... basically any issues that I should consider.

The room is dimly lit with a small amount of sunlight coming in (sunlight can be mostly eliminated with the blinds).
    However the ceiling light (normal 60w globe) is in the middle of the room and will be in in line with the tv but at a higher height. The tv, light and where I sit are all in line but at varying heights.

Thanks
    Just avoid constant static images. Don't get it for "PC work", get LCD for that. For gaming and media there's nothing to worry about.
    SouthBit Data Recovery - www.southbit.co.za
    Electronic Music
    PM me for cheap PC parts
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
    Each account is allocated to only 1 x user.

Grandmaster

Works great via HDMI (ensure you use the first HDMI port for this purpose). You can set up the other screen as an 'extended' screen with an LCD (which is what I do). You can easily play videos (I use XBMC), music, pictures on the TV while using an LCD monitor for work and web browsing. To play full screen games on the TV you'll have to turn the TV into the primary screen (if you're using an AMD graphics card you can set a shortcut to make the switch and to switch back).

I wonder if anyone knows - is it possible to use the TV as an extra monitor via wifi if you purchase the Wifi stick? I imagine not, but maybe someone knows something I don't?
    My nefarious schemes to achieve ultimate global domination are well under way. You can read more at my blog: http://oronte.blogspot.com

Remember you have to rename the HDMI1 port to DVI/DVI PC (one of them carries audio) to give you a proper 1920x1080 desktop with no overscan. Source List and Tools/Blue button.
    SouthBit Data Recovery - www.southbit.co.za
    Electronic Music
    PM me for cheap PC parts
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
    Each account is allocated to only 1 x user.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by wice565 View Post
    Hi People

Thanks
    I had the PS51D550 for a week, and tested it with a PC (as you described). One thing that I did not like is that the display will keep dimming when you change to a bright screen. For example, if you have a desktop with a background photo (that is not very bright), then you open a Windows Explorer window that is mainly white, the whole display will dim (you will see the taskbar get dimmer).

This is due to the plasma's ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter). It stops the screen displaying an image that is too bright (which normally occurs when most of the image is a light colour). Unfortunately, you cannot disable it. I disabled all of the other settings that can automatically change the display, but this is not an option. People also complained about this when viewing movies scenes with snow.

It might not be a deal-breaker, but it did irritate me. Just something to be aware of.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345