Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 172324252627 2829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: List of congested exchanges?

Seems you can add Parklands to the list, with a 1mb line seeing speeds of 0.14mbs-027mbs and uploads of 0.43mbs(constant)

This has been ongoing now for the past 2 months, seeing speeds as low as 10-30kbs, and off peak wtfs that, seems my speeds only get worse after peak

Telkom says they don't have a high enough demand yet to upgrade the exchange, seriously wtf!? some days it takes a few minutes just to load google

Can someone explain the use of www.saix.net? is that just to piss people off with the speeds they should be getting? Cause its working well in that case!!

Telkoms service is by far the worst I have ever experienced and customer service is non-existent, now days they just hang up on you, easier then to deal with angry customers that are wasting their money!

Hi. I am on BELLVILLE NORTH (WBLX03).

If you really want to get the "picture" run a ping log over several days to see how the congestion cycles.
    Last 3 days the daytime periods are also showing congestion.

I requested my DSL line SP to request a credit refund from Telkom. In the congested pipeline....

What i really would like to know is what our dear ISP's are doing to assist it's users to get a grip on this Telkom BS.
    Or are they "very comfy" with low throughput on their Uncapped accounts??? Must be one hell of a saving on the books.

I suggest we coordinate on a dedicated thread to line these ISP's up? Plausable idea??

Mortiiy
    Last edited by Mortiiy; 26-02-2012 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinuva View Post
    That broadband stats doesn't actually always reflect the correct exchange. For example, I used to be on Belleville north 4, which has latency issues, really bad, then I ordered a second line which is now on Belleville North 5 which experience 0 issues. That broadband stats report both my numbers to be on the same exchange, yet they are on different DSLAMs. The one experience lag issues, the other doesn't.

Thus point being, you cant go 100% according to that. Trust me, there are at least 3 Belleville North dslam that is congested, with the other 2 being ok.
    This makes the most sense to me as well. The issues cropped up relatively suddenly, and as I have said earlier, it does not seem to affect through-put speed, because most normal threaded downloads will come in at ~ 400 KB/sec which is within acceptable margins for a 4mbps line.

I don't think all the slow exchanges have the same root cause for the problems, some might simply not have enough bandwidth supplied to it.

My suspicion is that since a DSLAM is probably not a cheap piece of equipment, the cost of fixing the problem at the moment far outweighs the value telkom puts on customer satisfaction, which for an ADSL line is less than zero anyway.

What might perhaps help (long shot) is that everybody on the exchange is made aware of the problems, and log a call with Telkom.
    Last edited by abandonallhope; 27-02-2012 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortiiy View Post

If you really want to get the "picture" run a ping log over several days to see how the congestion cycles.

I requested my DSL line SP to request a credit refund from Telkom. In the congested pipeline....

What i really would like to know is what our dear ISP's are doing to assist it's users to get a grip on this Telkom BS.
    Or are they "very comfy" with low throughput on their Uncapped accounts??? Must be one hell of a saving on the books.

I suggest we coordinate on a dedicated thread to line these ISP's up? Plausable idea??

Mortiiy
    The ISPs can't do anything, they pretty much do what we do, complain to Telkom.

I'm also on BELLVILLE NORTH (WBLX03), I think I had a small window of usable latency early Saturday morning. This exchange is a mess.

Mortiiy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhand View Post
    The ISPs can't do anything, they pretty much do what we do, complain to Telkom.

I'm also on BELLVILLE NORTH (WBLX03), I think I had a small window of usable latency early Saturday morning. This exchange is a mess.
    Just log a call with Telkom and phone them regularly to check the status of the fault.

All we can do for now I think, unless Techead pulls off a miracle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by abandonallhope View Post
    All we can do for now I think, unless Techead pulls off a miracle.
    already pulled off one at the bothasig exchange... Trying for another
    sigh

Would this affect International speeds?

Local is better, but International is still dog slow!
    Been 3 weeks now!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deanos View Post
    Would this affect International speeds?

Local is better, but International is still dog slow!
    Been 3 weeks now!
    it will, though typical congestion on an exchange has more of an effect on latency, not so much throughput

from my experience with resolving the bothasig exchange
    sigh

I think there is a LOT to be done if we can set aside our individual efforts. To read through all the single complaints and outcries are nausiating. Only one word comes to mind - Apathy.

ISP's represent bigger groups of consumers, hence getting these company's to take responsibility and group their peers, would have a significant effect. If only we can break free of our "South-African" mentality shackles. I suppose that in itself would be a bigger barrier to cross than Telscum itself. No wonder they are flourishing in this arrogant sub-standard service delivery.

To think we have an individual to "make waves" as our only way forward is a joke. No disrespect Techead.

Then there is ICASA. What does ICASA really mean, other than a "quality" sticker on your paid for device translated into a higher consumer price.

I wonder, there must be the usual "helpfull" ISP forum entities reading this. Will there be any worthwhile response????

Mortiiy
    Last edited by Mortiiy; 27-02-2012 at 08:02 PM.

I think there is a LOT to be done if we can set aside our individual efforts. To read through all the single complaints and outcries are nausiating. Only one word comes to mind - Apathy.

ISP's represent bigger groups of consumers, hence getting these company's to take responsibility and group their peers, would have a significant effect. If only we can break free of our "South-African" mentality shackles. I suppose that in itself would be a bigger barrier to cross than Telscum itself. No wonder they are flourishing in this arrogant sub-standard service delivery.

To think we have an individual to "make waves" as our only way forward is a joke. No disrespect Techead.

Then there is ICASA. What does ICASA really mean, other than a "quality" sticker on your paid for device translated into a higher consumer price.

I wonder, there must be the usual "helpfull" ISP forum entities reading this. Will there be any worthwhile response????

Mortiiy
    ICASA and telkom works together , icasa does nothing.
    Www.gtxgaming.co.za
    For all your graphics card requirements!

Quote Originally Posted by techead View Post
    it will, though typical congestion on an exchange has more of an effect on latency, not so much throughput

from my experience with resolving the bothasig exchange
    Local and intl is equally affected.

If your local latency is 100%, and your intl latency is buggered, then your local exchange is very probably not the issue, but much rather a ISP routing issue or something else down the line.

The big issue here is that the first reply after the modem is 600ms +, in other words just pinging the exchange 500m away from you is a 600ms round trip. If that is the case you can add 600ms to whatever your intl latency is. I'd almost put money on it that 595ms of that 600 is the time it takes the DSLAM to process the ping request.

Mortiiy
    I tend to agree that ISP might have a little more leverage via the channels that they may have available in telkom.

Then again I maintain that the problem that many of these exchanges have will cost more to fix than the value that Telkom puts on customer satisfaction. They are in no way whatsoever obligated to provide you with a decent service so you can be sure that the likes of telkom will exploit that as far as they possibly can.

One thing that I am starting to consider is to cancel my telkom ADSL service altogether, and start investigating 3G alternatives. For about R1000 p/m I should be able to get quite a bit of 3G data allowance. Nothing to lose really...

Blog Entries

I think there is a LOT to be done if we can set aside our individual efforts. To read through all the single complaints and outcries are nausiating.
    listen here. Im quite happy to sit back and say to myself

"well Im sorted now, so screw the other okes... that is their problem not mine"

but I havent. but when I read posts like this I think to myself why the hell do I bother!?!?

but then I tell myself that most people who post on here have NO CLUE about what is really going on, and the mechanics of a multi layered network/infrastructure. So I press on... Regardless of whether you bitch and moan like a girl
    Last edited by techead; 28-02-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    sigh

Blog Entries

they have finished looking at 021 919 41xx and 021 919 09xx You both know who you are.

I have a meeting with them this afternoon at 15h30 to discuss the results of the investigation. He did however, let me know that both these numbers are on the same DSLAM, go figure...

Will post more info once I have finished the meeting
    sigh

Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 172324252627 2829303137 ... LastLast