Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1mb/2mb 3G Uncapped?

Default 1mb/2mb 3G Uncapped?

If other networks took at look @ 8ta's 10GB (20GB For R299) for R199. As the normal prices on all networks are around R149 - R350 for a smaller CAP.

If a network provider launched a true uncapped (Not like MTN 3G HSDPA 128kbps) at maybe a faster speed at about 1MB Per Sec at a low cost would'nt it be a big hit! (Hint hint 8ta, virgin, vodacom & cellc) launch a uncapped @ speeds that people can use:
    1MB, 2MB, 4MB as you guys have a 42MB Network!

Think about it. 1000kbps / 8 = 128kbps max thats good for me.
    = 6mb per min
    = 349mb per hour
    = ? Per 24 hour/day

compare to a 386kbps
    =40kbps max

The reason this isn't happening, is because 100 other people at the same tower will think like you and torrent 24/7. This means the tower gets overloaded and everyone suffers with slow speed and high ping.

i dont download torrents, just Mp3(Podcasts). Ima a deejay so it would be good and mobile

Grandmaster

If I recall, every mobile provider at this forum, at some point said that it is not feasible and they right.
    It is available only in countries with fairly high developed fixed line service, where for downloading users will use their wired internet, mobile for mobile devices updates and surfing -- this will not overload network. They need to stay afloat in a market.
    Here, the amount of mobile users is higher than fixed users.

It would be a cool idea if the mobile networks had this however:

- Networks are fast but CANNOT handle the capacity of huge downloads like american networks.
    - Networks are already congested (due to people owning BlackBerry's downloading, congesting the network)

Networks are upgrading to 4G now (except for Cell C and 8ta) and they should offer uncapped for this.

Super Grandmaster DrJohnZoidberg's Avatar

It would be ridiculously expensive.
    Praise Zeus!

Quote Originally Posted by timvdwest View Post
    It would be ridiculously expensive.
    Yip - prices will still have to come down significantly before we see uncapped at 1Mbps. The closest now is the Blackberry service and even there the networks are taking strain.

With Vodacom and MTN upgrading to 4G soon, im sure it will be possible. I saw the technology increases the capacity of the network too, so they should be able to sell uncapped 1mb / 2mb internet even at the worst case scenario (100 people downloading at the same time).

Fibre cables in SA are being upgraded at the moment, this means we will experience faster transfer of data.

I would really like uncapped 3G / 4G Internet, I don't like ADSL becuase you have to be tied down to telkom.

I wouldnt mind paying 400 or 500 per month for 1MB / 2MB uncapped 3G Data.

Quote Originally Posted by ngadao08 View Post
    With Vodacom and MTN upgrading to 4G soon, im sure it will be possible. I saw the technology increases the capacity of the network too, so they should be able to sell uncapped 1mb / 2mb internet even at the worst case scenario (100 people downloading at the same time).

Fibre cables in SA are being upgraded at the moment, this means we will experience faster transfer of data.

I would really like uncapped 3G / 4G Internet, I don't like ADSL becuase you have to be tied down to telkom.

I wouldnt mind paying 400 or 500 per month for 1MB / 2MB uncapped 3G Data.
    Dream on! It will be a good few years before they even think of an uncapped 3G/4G service.
    Celine: "i think you are 2 sarmies short of a picnic basket."

It is RIM that is taking strain, their servers cannot handle the large numbers of downloads of Blackberries, Vodacom said they have a 1Gbps connection to RIM servers, im sure that is enough for all the blackberries in SA (im assuming there is more than 1 RIM server in SA and there is at least 1 per province). All Vodacom has to do is to increase the bandwidth of the cable to RIM ie: make it 3Gbps, even if they did do so, the RIM servers are going to be making internet for BIS users still slow.

Read, MTN has already deployed a trial 4G network in Gauteng...

Quote Originally Posted by ngadao08 View Post
    Read, MTN has already deployed a trial 4G network in Gauteng...
    Yes, and so? How many countries worldwide offer affordable 3G/4G uncapped?
    Celine: "i think you are 2 sarmies short of a picnic basket."

If we can't get uncapped. Then a 30GB Cap @ 1mb

It's like I stepped outside and the forum turned into a playground? Anyone else feel the same? Should we start giving out lollies now?
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Jesus loves you as you are, not as you should be.

|GeckoStretchTents|DomainCheap|FixedAssetManagement|

hahaha bastards MTN launched a true Uncapped. Now who said it cant be done?

Ya i knw abt da 24 contract cath lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast