Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Five cool CPU coolers

Default Five cool CPU coolers

Five cool CPU coolers

We take a look at five cool locally available CPU coolers

I hate all those BIG coolers

Currently got a low profile Thermaltake that runs at 1600 rpm and seems to do the job well enough. Ok it does suffer a bit under prime95 with all 6 cores 100%, about 58-60c after 30 minutes ... eish. Idle normally about 22 degrees.
    Last edited by Dan C; 02-10-2011 at 05:41 PM.
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet ...

I would rather have a quiet cooler, I'm not concerned about it being bigger because once its installed I won't worry about it again.

Eh...oookay

Put a Coolermaster cooler on my rig. If it's the same thing, I have the ability to set the speed if the fan. It's quite a 'cool' option.
    Report rape and sexual abuse. Don't tolerate crime, report it!
    You can SMS an anonymous tip-off to 32211. SMS charged at R1.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan C View Post

Currently got a low profile Thermaltake that runs at 1600 rpm and seems to do the job well enough. Ok it does suffer a bit under prime95 with all 6 cores 100%, about 58-60c after 30 minutes ... eish. Idle normally about 22 degrees.
    Where on earth are you guys testing your pc temps? In Antarctica? I have never (in all my years building custom spec PC's) ever seen a cpu temp so low, hell my i7 860 idles on about 37 and max at 55, but yet I live in durban, so maybe its the humidity here? I don't know, but I only wish I could get my cpu down to 22 idle. I don't have a stock cooler, can't remember the name and I'm not at home (using my phone), so I am unable to inform you of the name of my cooler, although it is from zalman. Also got plenty of air flow through my case.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan C View Post

Gotta call bull here. It's not possible for a pc to idle at below ambient temperature, I'd say ambient + 5 is a damned impressive feat - So 22 might be possible on colder days, but that's hardly "normal"

Screenshots to dissuade the naysayers?
    Seeking...

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by bullzeye.za View Post
    Gotta call bull here. It's not possible for a pc to idle at below ambient temperature, I'd say ambient + 5 is a damned impressive feat - So 22 might be possible on colder days, but that's hardly "normal"

Screenshots to dissuade the naysayers?
    It's possible for more modern, lower power consumption processors to idle at ambient if there's exceptional airflow and/or no hot-air current from the psu or gpu pulling over the procesor's HSF assembly.

Derrick, you didn't talk about motherboard flex. That's five articles.
    This article does nothing but showcase a few HSF products; it doesn't go on to talk about their relative price/performance nor how their specific designs might impact case design for airflow and otherwise, nor about the dangers of large, heavy heatsinks when it comes to transportation for LANs (which 'gamers' are so apt to attend). Keep in mind that there might be kids that see these big, flashy heatsinks and immediately go out to beg their parents to get them one, not knowing the complications surrounding utilizing such a thing, only to have their computer completely up and die in a year or two thanks to the heatsink.

I have the Antec 620, essentially the same design as the H50. Keeps my i5 2500k at 29C idle and 49C prime95 full load @4.3GHz. Cost me just under R400.

How does the H50 compare?

I spent ages at the beginning of the year deciding what cooler to settle with when I bought my new system. Basically it was either the Noctua D14, Coolermaster V10, or the Corsair H70. My two main issus were noise level and cooling as I knew I was going to do a bit of overclocking. Finally, mainly due to youtube testing vids I settled with the Noctua as the best option for me. My system is very quite, and even with my 980EX overclocked to 4GHz I have seen some of the cores sometimes on 17 degrees C (apparently - I never how accurate these testers are). When running various games, I don't recall it going above the low 50's, and then with a nice solid quite Antec case, the noise levels are hardly noticeable.
    i7 980X 3.33GHz @ 4GHz, Rampage III Gene, Noctua NH-D14, Corsair 12GB DDR3-1600, Asus GTX670 4GB, Corsair 80GB & 240GB SSD, Dual 27" IPS7, W7 64bit.

Grandmaster

Whatever you're using to measure your temperatures is broken, or you were running that computer in an insanely cold room when you got the 17c measurement, snobee. When not dealing with an ambient temperature about as cold as that, you need to be employing phase change cooling or similar somewhere in your cooling pipeline, or you're simply not going to be getting below ambient.
    flickr | Fecesbook
    I bow to your superior technique of shooting crap in camera then recovering in post!

I thought the H60 was better?