Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Selecting RAS (modem) or NDIS on modem dashboard?

Default Selecting RAS (modem) or NDIS on modem dashboard?

I have noted on both my Cell C dashboard and on my MTN dashboard that it is possible to connect my E1752 modem either selecting RAS (modem) or NDIS.
    I have tried both and can see that the RAS setting is a dial up connection whereas the NDIS is a LAN or Broadband connection.
    Either one works but my question is: What is the difference between the two as far as performance is concerned...I cannot see any difference and which one are we supposed to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Billwill View Post
    I have noted on both my Cell C dashboard and on my MTN dashboard that it is possible to connect my E1752 modem either selecting RAS (modem) or NDIS.
    I have tried both and can see that the RAS setting is a dial up connection whereas the NDIS is a LAN or Broadband connection.
    Either one works but my question is: What is the difference between the two as far as performance is concerned...I cannot see any difference and which one are we supposed to use?
    I have read that the NDIS connections were created to overcome a speed limitation of the RAS connections.
    To date I have not been able to measure a difference.
    Cell-C's data support advised me to use the RAS connection.

I have read of routing problems when using the NDIS connection (unable to access LAN while NDIS connection is established) as well as problems with VPN clients.

OK, Thanks ginggs

In my case, I found that when using RAS - Cisco AnyConnect VPN would not work. I was getting errors about the secure gateway not working and that the VPN was unable to modify the IP routing table etc.

When changing to NDIS on my Huawei Mobile MTN application and reconnecting, all works fine now. So in my case:
    RAS -- no VPN
    NDIS -- AnyConnect VPN works