Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Shredding documents

Question Shredding documents

Howdy. I've got a few boxes of old docs that I've inherited which need shredding.
    Is it worth my while to buy a shredder or should I rather take it somewhere that does this kind of thing?
    I really don't feel like sitting for 10 hours one sheet at a time.
    Can I trust another place do do it for me?
    The causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them. Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Idiot

Can you not just burn them?
    If the answer isn't beer. Then you are asking the wrong questions

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by murraybiscuit View Post
    Howdy. I've got a few boxes of old docs that I've inherited which need shredding.
    Is it worth my while to buy a shredder or should I rather take it somewhere that does this kind of thing?
    I really don't feel like sitting for 10 hours one sheet at a time.
    Can I trust another place do do it for me?
    A decent shredder is a good investment, I would say do that.

Most shredders can do about 10 pages of normal paper at a time so if you spend 10 min a day at it you should have it done within a week depending on the size of your boxes.
    I am 13531

"Balance is the key to everything, without it we would just keep falling over."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    No, burning them with the intent to destroy them is a bigger job than shredding them imo. And alot messier.
    I am 13531

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    This.

If you happen to be very strictly environmentally conscience, you could find an acid solution. Or rip them by hand, might take a while .

Edit: About the messy bit, its just ash at the end of the day.

First of shredding is fairly safe but not safe . with enough time it is possible to put it back together
    best to shred then burn
    all depends how sensitive the info is

Quote Originally Posted by Madman88 View Post
    No, burning them with the intent to destroy them is a bigger job than shredding them imo. And alot messier.
    *a lot
    If the answer isn't beer. Then you are asking the wrong questions

burning them is a mess. it sounds great, but by the time you've put them into a braai, separated all the sheets so that they're oxygenated, kept feeding them in and figured out what to do with the ash all over the place, you may as well have just shredded them. just my take on it having tried to burn docs a while back.

plus if i shred i can recycle (supposedly).
    how much will a decent shredder cost?
    what should i look out for?
    i saw some cheap ones on pricecheck, but i'm wary of junk electronics.
    The causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them. Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by FNfal View Post
    First of shredding is fairly safe but not safe . with enough time it is possible to put it back together
    best to shred then burn
    all depends how sensitive the info is
    not that sensitive, just some banking and business stuff, medical records etc.
    no state secrets, but there's also personal docs from a relative which i'd rather err on the side of caution about.

Blog Entries

burning them is a mess. it sounds great, but by the time you've put them into a braai, separated all the sheets so that they're oxygenated, kept feeding them in and figured out what to do with the ash all over the place, you may as well have just shredded them. just my take on it having tried to burn docs a while back.

plus if i shred i can recycle (supposedly).
    how much will a decent shredder cost?
    what should i look out for?
    i saw some cheap ones on pricecheck, but i'm wary of junk electronics.
    We bought one for our business at Makro. This one. It cuts the paper into strips and then chops the strips into 5cm long pieces.:

I want to see someone put a page of that back together It also shreds credit cards.
    I am 13531

Surprising so many people don't already own a shredder - identity theft must appeal to them.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Quote Originally Posted by Madman88 View Post
    We bought one for our business at Makro. This one. It cuts the paper into strips and then chops the strips into 5cm long pieces.:

I want to see someone put a page of that back together It also shreds credit cards.
    i actually just was on that page.
    that pic would explain the "crosscut".
    looks good to me.
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    Surprising so many people don't already own a shredder - identity theft must appeal to them.
    +1. i live in a highly popular road in the jhb northern burbs.
    every monday the rubbish bin raiders arrive to pick at the scraps.
    it makes me a bit paranoid.

Super Grandmaster

+1. i live in a highly popular road in the jhb northern burbs.
    every monday the rubbish bin raiders arrive to pick at the scraps.
    it makes me a bit paranoid.
    I live in a quiet "cul-de-sac" part of our neighbourhood and still have to sit watching raiders rummage through my bin.
    Solution? We throw the dog-crap at the top of the bin

But I've learnt to scrap all personal identifying documents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't