Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast

Thread: Huawei B683 3G router / modem + wifi

I'll be getting this modem through MTN tomorrow, they've confirmed stock & everything is sorted.

I just want to make sure that this device wont in any way be locked to mtn? I have a vodacom sim that I would like to use when / if the bandwidth runs out.

Also, I'd like to position the router outside on the patio mounted close to the roof, then run a network cable to a main tp link router inside the house, this should give a better wifi signal throughout the house surely? Anyone see a reason why this might not work?

Also wondering what might be the best way of doing this? just disabling the DHCP on the main tp link router, and letting the B683 handle all the IPs?

Thanks for any advice!
    Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.

1. It will be not network locked if bought from official dealers in SA, so no matter. The same from 9ta. I think it is even cheaper to get it from 8ta (+/-R1000).
    2. You gon't know where signal comes from. The only way is to meassure signal strenght and make tests for speed and stability connection before deciding on permanent location.
    3. One DHCP enabled, one disabled, yes. But which one I can't tell you, also depends on your network setup.

Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    1. It will be not network locked if bought from official dealers in SA, so no matter. The same from 9ta. I think it is even cheaper to get it from 8ta (+/-R1000).
    2. You gon't know where signal comes from. The only way is to meassure signal strenght and make tests for speed and stability connection before deciding on permanent location.
    3. One DHCP enabled, one disabled, yes. But which one I can't tell you, also depends on your network setup.
    Awesome, I'm loving this 3G router, very sexy looking device!

All my speedtests have given me 7Mbit download speeds which is more than fine for me.

Got it to work with my main TP Link router nicely so where ever I am in the house I just connect my phone to the router that has the best signal.

What I had to do to:

Go to main router admin:

-Change the IP address (Just so that the 2 router have different IP addresses, by default, both my modems were 192.168.1.1)
    -Disable DHCP
    -Turn off router. (I also made the default gateway the 3G routers IP address, not sure if this step is needed.)

Connect the modems together via network, in a numbered port in both routers.

Lastly, turn on router.
    Last edited by CoolBug; 04-07-2012 at 03:36 AM.
    Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.

Wow, it looks like the B683 router I got from MTN is locked to MTN

I even flashed new firmware from this link but if I put in a Vodacom or 8ta sim, the signal light on the router flashes red.

Did you check it before you flashed firmware?
    If not, I suggest return to original firmware.

Yes I definitely tried to use the Vodacom & 8ta sims before I flashed, this is the only reason I flashed it.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBug View Post
    Wow, it looks like the B683 router I got from MTN is locked to MTN

I even flashed new firmware from this link but if I put in a Vodacom or 8ta sim, the signal light on the router flashes red.
    Have you got a pin code on the sim?

Quote Originally Posted by kingrob View Post
    Have you got a pin code on the sim?
    The Vodacom one has a pin but the 8ta one doesnt

I got my B683 yesterday on a Cell C 2gig/pm contract from Nashua Mobile and so far it is performing great right out of the box. A few suggestions that would be nice to see on an updated version:
    1.Fully LTE/4G compatible
    2.A "click" mechanism for the sim card like my Samsung Tab & S3 have.
    3.Maybe a dual sim function? (Because I'm constantly swopping between Cell C & Vodacom)
    4.More sturdy build quality & a less fingerprint-magnet finish.

But yeah so far it is doing what it is suppose to do so I'm happy

Default Huawei B683 3G router / modem + wifi

Don't break your head over LTE, your B683, will just connect faster and better when it arrives, and when true 4G arrives, it will likely only then reach it's full potential. Very few people are getting 1/4 of the B683's potential speed. So it will be good for at least 5 years before it starts reaching it's limits, if not 3-4 years longer ...
    Good coffee should be, black like the Devil, hot like Hell, and sweet as a Kiss - Hungarian Proverb.

The B683 can do 28.8Mbps down on HSPA+.

It's the fastest 3G router in South Africa.

But nobody is getting close to those speeds yet, the networks just don't have the resilience to deliver that speed, never mind LTE speeds ... , so it is good for many years yet ...

Happier than a pig in Palestine with mine ...
    Good coffee should be, black like the Devil, hot like Hell, and sweet as a Kiss - Hungarian Proverb.

Default Re: Huawei B683 3G router / modem + wifi

Quote Originally Posted by elf_lord_ZC5 View Post
    But nobody is getting close to those speeds yet, the networks just don't have the resilience to deliver that speed, never mind LTE speeds ... , so it is good for many years yet ...

Happier than a pig in Palestine with mine ...
    +1

I've got the R205 - max on that is 21.1Mbps. I've rarely got half that on speed tests.

I get around 2 to 3mbps in Fourways. Highly irratic though.

The one majorly ANNOYING problem I am having is that when I connect a hard drive to it for DLNA streaming and then 'enable DMS' and choose the folders to share, the B683 crashes after a few minutes. It completely freezes and I need to unplug the HD and power off and then on to get it to work again.

I've got my hard drive connected to a powered hub and I also tried a different HD with its own power supply and same thing.

Took the router to 8ta and they had no clue what I was talking about. The technician didn't even know that you could connect a HD to it. Idiot. They eventually swapped it for another but I had the same issue so its definitley a common problem.

Anyway. Anybody else had any issues connecting a HD to it?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast