Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: How to convert Garmin .gdb file to Google maps .kml file

Unhappy How to convert Garmin .gdb file to Google maps .kml file

Anyone know how to do this? I got a gdb file (without Mapsource) I'd like to view on Google maps, but all the applications I've found either does the conversion the other way round, or fails to read the GDB file (GPSBabel)

Blog Entries

I think you are going to have to get Mapsource, as mine will open up in Mapsource or Google, whichever one I want.
    ''Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives.... .'' ~ John Lennon

Flickr

W try the T4A forum those guys are boffins. Tracks 4 Africa.

Tx Thugscub, I'll check it out

Blog Entries

I still don't understand why Garmin don't offer 'free' map updates for their GPS'

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gdiza View Post
    I still don't understand why Garmin don't offer 'free' map updates for their GPS'
    Simple really, "free" means they cannot charge you and subsequently they would lose out on millions of rands every year.
    ''Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives.... .'' ~ John Lennon

Flickr

why do you not download Mapsource? It is a free download from the Garmin website. It should install a very basic basemap as well. If you get an error message that you do not have an earlier version of Mapsource installed, download and install the Garmin Training Center (no need to run it first) and then try to install Mapsource again. It should install sucessfully now. Now open up the file in Mapsource, click on "View" and then select "View in Google Earth...". Once it has opened up in Google Earth, you can then save it either as a *.KML file or a *.KMZ file. If you are in a hurry, you can mail me the *.GDB file and I will send it back to you an the *.KML format.
    Last edited by geezer; 24-10-2011 at 02:01 PM.