Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 154 1 23451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars, questions...

Hybrid View

Default Guild Wars, questions...

Howzit

I brought Guild Wars from CNA two days ago, but cannot play it yet due to me being capped for Feb, so I have to wait until March to play it.

I would just like to know how does it run ? I'm on a 384kpbs package from Telkom (SAIX) and would like to know ping rates etc. Does the game lag at all ? And if so, is it bareable ?

Also, I have never played WoW before (mainly due to the fact that it hasn't been officially launched here in SA like Guild Wars has) and would just like to know what WoW players think of Guild Wars and vice-versa.

Thanks
    PS: Can't wait to start playing (I can't even wait to start installing it !)

GW has superb NetCode. I play it on a 56k modem and it only really lags when Im in a town with lots of other people. I used to play on the European Servers but I recently changed to the American server where I experience less lag.

WOW and GW are not really comparable. But I like GW more, although it seems that WOW is more popular.
    THE LAW OF SOUTH AFRICA

Two recent court cases have earned the attention of newspaper readers in South Africa.

One person was fined R1 000 for not having a TV license.

Another was released on bail for R500 after being arrested for murder.

The moral of this South African story: If you do not have a TV license and
    the inspector comes round, kill him. You'll save R500.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Vexx007
    GW has superb NetCode. I play it on a 56k modem and it only really lags when Im in a town with lots of other people. I used to play on the European Servers but I recently changed to the American server where I experience less lag.

WOW and GW are not really comparable. But I like GW more, although it seems that WOW is more popular.
    SA player might get less lag on US servers, due to less people being online there when we tend to play. However, that makes it harder to find people to party with. I would therefore recommend going for Euro zone in any case.

I think is Wow is more popular because the marketing budget of WoW is probably 100 times that of GW. And personally I have a high regard for Blizzard. I suspect this also attracts a lot of players who feels the same. WoW is probably the first PC game of theirs that I have not played.

Quote Originally Posted by gkm
    SA player might get less lag on US servers, due to less people being online there when we tend to play. However, that makes it harder to find people to party with. I would therefore recommend going for Euro zone in any case.

I think is Wow is more popular because the marketing budget of WoW is probably 100 times that of GW. And personally I have a high regard for Blizzard. I suspect this also attracts a lot of players who feels the same. WoW is probably the first PC game of theirs that I have not played.

My sentiments exactly. It a shame that Blizzard can't/won't adapt ArenaNet's business model (no monthly subscription).
    THE LAW OF SOUTH AFRICA

Two recent court cases have earned the attention of newspaper readers in South Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by gkm View Post

Out of curiosity what server does SA player use for guild wars?

Hi I'f been looking for SA players in Guild Wars for just over two weeks now.
    I can't find any. Just some Belguim and Dutch players
    Can someone tell me which server the South Africans use in guildwars and where to find it.
    Pleezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    I'm tired of the $5^£" dutch
    Last edited by Elwe Beukes; 04-01-2007 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Elwe Beukes View Post
    Hi I'f been looking for SA players in Guild Wars for just over two weeks now.
    I can't find any. Just some Belguim and Dutch players
    Can someone tell me which server the South Africans use in guildwars and where to find it.
    Pleezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    I tired of the $5^" dutch
    Hi Elwe, welcome to the Guild Wars forum.
    Most SA players play on the Europe servers (location) in the English districts.
    The EU location matches our own local time more closely in that there are more people online at the time that we normally play.

By the sounds of it you may already be on the EU location, especially if people are Dutch or Belgium. Check your districts in the top left-hand corner to see where you are. Should say English (can be German, French, Spanish, etc. too)
    EU is the only location that has more than one landuage district. The Amercian servers only has American districts.
    What the mind can conceive, it can achieve.

Grandmaster

GW tend to be able to handle a fair variation in pings as far as I can tell. Lots of lost packets can be a major pain however. I have an unshaped account (and it seems many of the SA player on international games tend to gravitate that way, despite the higher costs,) so I cannot say for sure how the lag is on a shaped account. It does not use all that much bandwidth and works fine on normal analog dailup as well. I know some people use nukecap as well for GW, so if you are soft capped, that might be an option as well.

I see people like SAOL sell an 1GB unshaped account, so you might consider that as well. 1GB should be more than enough for a month of GW.

I have not played WoW, so cannot compare.

If they only made it "free roaming" char can walk of the clift or take short cut etc.
    Logo Guy / Business ID
    Logo design for print, vinyl and web
    Business Cards are printed in full color plus a high gloss varnish
    DELIVERED TO YOUR DOORSTEPS

Quote Originally Posted by LogoGuy
    If they only made it "free roaming" char can walk of the clift or take short cut etc.
    I don't agree with you. How many times have you been killed or mugged by a high level character in WOW? I got tired of a level 60 char running after me and killing me and/or killing the critters and stuff around me, and/or challenging me to a duel when Im only level 5.

This is exactly why I like the Instanced game play of GW (in PVE). When you play PVP in GW you are rewarded for your skill, not for your character being a higher level then the person you are duelling against.

WOW has a lot of charm as a game and I really like the way the art was done, but the community really put me off.
    THE LAW OF SOUTH AFRICA

I'm talking about that GW limit my explore area. Try running of a clift...you cannot, have to follow the "path" way.
    Logo Guy / Business ID
    Logo design for print, vinyl and web
    Business Cards are printed in full color plus a high gloss varnish
    DELIVERED TO YOUR DOORSTEPS

Grandmaster

I think it is a bargain that one cannot run off a cliff. In a hectic battle that is one less thing to worry about. Plenty of other ways to die already.

I've just brought a 2GB account from Telkom right now (I couldn't resist) and I'm gonna load Guild Wars up when I get home. Does anyone know roughly how many MB's need to be downloaded after an installation for all the patches etc. ?

Thanks.

Grandmaster

It depend on how up to date the CD is. Budget about 200MB I would guess to be safe, but it is probably a lot less.

Okay, playing it and loving it. I would just like to know, are there any SA guilds out there looking for a new player ? Also which district is best to play on ? And are there any SA Guild Wars websites on the net (can't seem to find any) !

Thanks

Page 1 of 154 1 23451151101 ... LastLast