Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can you get sued for verbal abuse?

Grandmaster

Default Can you get sued for verbal abuse?

Ok...let me elaborate here. I know the Americans love suing for almost anything...and have heard if you bad mouth someone, they love whipping out a lawsuit. So my question is...is this done in SA? I mean...if you tell someone they are a f#cking moron with less than the brain capacity of a flea and to go f#ck themselves with a bottle brush...would this land me in trouble? Would a lawsuit evolve?

Reason I ask...we have an emergency meeting with the home owners of the estate I live in...and I have some choice words for someone. The individual made a rather tasteless remark which got my blood boiling (and quite a few other home owners)...and Im rather worried I will lack the self control to keep my mouth shut comes the time for this emergency meeting...

The topic was building a childrens playground. The chairman made a chirp about it (I didn't hear it all so was oblivious...I was told about it last night), he said "We should build it below the dam wall and hope the dam bursts...". I should just shrug it off...but for some reason this really has me pissed off...
    Last edited by CrazyFig; 26-10-2011 at 11:45 AM.

I dont know but I'm interested to hear more of the story!

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFig View Post
    Ok...let me elaborate here. I know the Americans love suing for almost anything...and have heard if you bad mouth someone, they love whipping out a lawsuit. So my question is...is this done in SA? I mean...if you tell someone they are a f#cking moron with less than the brain capacity of a flea and to go f#ck themselves with a bottle brush...would this land me in trouble? Would a lawsuit evolve?

Reason I ask...we have an emergency meeting with the home owners of the estate I live in...and I have some choice words for someone. The individual made a rather tasteless remark which got my blood boiling (and quite a few other home owners)...and Im rather worried I will lack the self control to keep my mouth shut comes the time for this emergency meeting...
    Possibly. Perhaps.
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood

Pretty sure you can get sued, though I have no idea where the line is drawn RE how vulgar.

You def can be for racial comments, so getting sued for bottle brush comments isn't much of a stretch.
    Man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.

If the other person's "choice remark" was something really nasty why not see if you can sue them for defamation of character or something along those lines?
    |Bebamos y divirtámonos que mañana moriremos.
    |Melior morior bellator, quam ago profugus.
    |Nemo saltat sobrius.

Yip - you can be especially if you verbally abuse someone in front of other people.

Grandmaster

Eish...ok, well I guess I should explain a bit more.

The topic was location of a children's playground to be built. The chairman made a chirp about it (I didn't hear it all so was oblivious...I was told about it last night), he said "We should build it below the dam wall and hope the dam bursts...". Ja...not such a big thing for some people I guess...but it has really pissed me off to the nth degree (and some other parents)...and so naturally Im worried I wont be able to control myself in a decent manner at this meeting next month...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFig View Post

The law of defamation is always tricky but basically, yes, you can get sued provided you defame someone.
    I wont go into the intricacies but i will give you an example. If you tell someone in a private setting "you are an idiot and a liar" that is not defamation.
    If you tell the person the same in a public meeting however it is defamatory because publication (of sorts) has taken place.
    There is a lot more to it and various variables and defenses to be considered but this is the gist.
    Crimen injuria is another matter and you can actually be criminally charged if you insult someones dignity, for example calling someone the k-word.

Grandmaster

Updated my 1st post with what was said...just to give some background. I thought I would sleep it off last night...but woke up as pissed off as I was before I fell asleep last night...

Grandmaster

Im sure I will calm down eventually...

At the centre of my bubble of perception.

The topic was building a childrens playground. The chairman made a chirp about it, he said "We should build it below the dam wall and hope the dam bursts...".
    That's quite funny actually

Maybe it was just that, a cynical chirp.
    Last edited by Picard; 26-10-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    Twinkle, twinkle little star
    Wat de donner soek jy daar?

Super Grandmaster

living in an estate or complex is similar...

the chairperson gets voted in = you & others voted for him to be on the commitee.

you could be schweet about things. ....

I am sure there are many parents that heard & a few more that you can talk too.

at the next AGM pass a vote of no confidence in him...

he will get to leave the commitee altogether

& it won't cost you legal fees.

someone like him should not be in that position.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Venomous View Post
    living in an estate or complex is similar...

the chairperson gets voted in = you & others voted for him to be on the commitee.

you could be schweet about things. ....

I am sure there are many parents that heard & a few more that you can talk too.

at the next AGM pass a vote of no confidence in him...

he will get to leave the commitee altogether

& it won't cost you legal fees.

someone like him should not be in that position.
    Perfect and rational solution...with just the right pinch of revenge.
    I am busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by MightyQuin View Post
    Perfect and rational solution...with just the right pinch of revenge.
    That's wy I said schweet

Often Chair people forget that they are not all powerful & all important. & it's time for that one to be brought down to groundlevel

Super Grandmaster

found this interesting read:

http://mype.co.za/new/2011/07/unseat...complex-chair/

edit: also

http://www.sectionaltitlecentre.co.z...0issue%209.pdf

edit:

http://psychsoma.co.za/sectional_tit...hinge-act.html

seems like all you need is 25% of the owners to call a meeting & have him voted out. no need to wait til the next AGM. Though at the AGM more people are likely to be present

edit: you can DL the sectional titles act from here
    http://www.acts.co.za/sectional_titles_act_1986.htm

or view the act here...
    http://csg.dla.gov.za/act95_86.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast