Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rip-off Renault "service"

Default Unimformed FTL

Quote Originally Posted by MightyQuin View Post
    I still do not understand what the OP is complaining about? It does cost approx. R3000 to replace four sets of discs and pads. Surely he wasn't expecting this to be included free of charge in the service?
    +1

OP, you are seriously uninformed. And bashing a brand in light of that makes you look like a big fool :/

Wow, so you're all pissed off about paying R9000 for a major service, cambelt AND 4 brake pads?? Buy a Volkswagen next time and we'll see. They'd charge you that much just to tell you you need new brakes.
    ...if life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.

-Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by simple_simon View Post
    who would honestly pay that for a piece of forking glass...i guess the most i would go up to would be a grand.

i've learnt my lessson...in future before i by any car....i will research service and parts prices more thoroughly
    Because it was imported (according to them). From PG autoglass if I remember. My insurance paid (I only paid R700). But still.. what a rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ99 View Post
    Wow, so you're all pissed off about paying R9000 for a major service, cambelt AND 4 brake pads?? Buy a Volkswagen next time and we'll see. They'd charge you that much just to tell you you need new brakes.
    yeah i got a quote for cambelt alone on a citi golf was like 3k ...and it costs r290 by they parts section
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
    We're on the internet to troll not to make bonds.

I still do not understand what the OP is complaining about? It does cost approx. R3000 to replace four sets of discs and pads. Surely he wasn't expecting this to be included free of charge in the service?
    FIAT: New pads for front, R1100. STAR: R240
    FIAT: New shoes for back, R1600. AutoZone, Opel shoe slightly ground to fit: R320

Fitment free if you have a jack and enough strength to counter-screw.

and that was before my discs even entered the equation. Dunno about the Renault OP had, but my fiat experience has taught me a lesson. When the throttle sensor went, It needed a new throttle body. FIAT: R4000, 3 weeks wait. UK: £50 + Fedex in two days.

Sorry, local representative importers (Imperial eg) just don't cut it. My Renault in 2000 went through a tyre once: size was almost unique, making a dunlop the only available replacement, at R790. In 2000. Never again.

FTR: Cambelt service on my Isuzu, R1800 in 2007.
    ★ mAcme for Mac OS X & 3G | Antenna & Tower Help
    MyBB Currie Cup SuperBru
    Block WASPs on MTN. Dial *141*5# Select Content Billing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TJ99 View Post
    +1. I don't think those figures are crazy at all. All Dealers are gonna charge close to those prices. You could do it for less at workshop garages. A decent option if you know a reliable place. Speak to people in the know.

My BMW is out of motorplan at the end of November. It's probably gonna be costly. However they have replaced the following in the last few months under motorplan: Front and Rear Discs (+/-R4500); Clutch (+/-R12000), Power Steering Pump, Aircon blower

Grandmaster

There is no way that any dealer will include break discs and pads in a service. Do you expect them to throw in 4 new tyres as well since you have also put those through normal wear and tear like your brakes? Buy the pads and discs and go to your nearest QuickFit...they will do it for approx. R700. Discs and pads may cost you approx. R2000...so very close to R3000 in the end.
    I'm picking up the pads and discs for R800 this weekend and installing it myself.
    whether you think you're right or you think you're wrong, you're right. - henry ford

Grandmaster

2 sets not 4. the price is ridiculous
    whether you think you're right or you think you're wrong, you're right. - henry ford

rofl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreGorGy View Post
    Ja, we all learn the hard way to avoid:
    *Fiat
    *Renault
    *Peugeot
    *Citroen
    for starters. I am sure others can think of Euro cars that have nasty service bites.
    Its not euro thing, its mostly a french thing. We get plenty of good service from german manufacturers.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

R3000 for a cambelt service sounds too cheap. I have a Renault Megane F1, and the cambelt service was R7000. And it doesn't matter if its the Sport, diesel or normal megane, thats what a cambelt service costs - they all use the same cambelt.

No dealer will ever include brakes as part of a major service. Its something that you ask for or they tell you when the discs/pads are worn enough. R3000 for discs and pads are also not a lot. Ask a few BMW drivers what services like those costs. I spoke to a guy who has a Navara who's clutch needed replacement just after the maintenance plan expired. R40 000 - yep 40k. So count yourself lucky that the numbers you gave are on the lower end.

Incidentally, phoned my buddy at the renault workshop. Front pads are about R600, rear pads about R500, and discs about R1200 a set. Not sure how you could buy everything for R800?????

Quote Originally Posted by samr1wp View Post
    yeah i got a quote for cambelt alone on a citi golf was like 3k ...and it costs r290 by they parts section
    Yep, my entire cambelt kit was only about R900 which included the belt and pulleys and everything. But they replaced the waterpump while they were down there and a few other things. Its like the release bearing on your clutch, its a R30 part but about R5000 labour to replace it. Might as well replace the other stuff thats likely to stop working while the engine is out.

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    Its not euro thing, its mostly a french thing. We get plenty of good service from german manufacturers.
    AGREED! It is a French Italian thing. German cars are excellent! Even the ones I don't like (VAG)

Quote Originally Posted by recre8 View Post
    Incidentally, phoned my buddy at the renault workshop. Front pads are about R600, rear pads about R500, and discs about R1200 a set. Not sure how you could buy everything for R800?????
    Shop around. STAR in edenvale (who, incidentally, supply many dealers) will be cheaper.
    ★ mAcme for Mac OS X & 3G | Antenna & Tower Help
    MyBB Currie Cup SuperBru
    Block WASPs on MTN. Dial *141*5# Select Content Billing.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Niren_M View Post
    Guys, it is brakes not breaks, and braking system not breaking system......
    I thought we were talking about French and Italian cars here? In that context I am fine with using "Breaks".

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast