Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help needed with sound setup of TV, HD PVR, Home Theatre System, and PS3

Grandmaster

Default Help needed with sound setup of TV, HD PVR, Home Theatre System, and PS3

Hi guys,

Ok Im a bit stumped here. We moved house and for the life of me I cant get my setup the way it used to run. So a bit of info here:

1. 40" Sony Full HD LCD (KLV-40S400A)
    2. Sony 5.1 Home Theatre DVD (DAV TZ210)
    3. Slimline PS3
    4. HD PVR

The LCD has 3 HDMI ports. The HTS has 1 HDMI port and 1 normal red, white, yellow connection option. PS3 has the normal 1 HDMI port.

Previously
    The PS3 and the HD PVR use to have the sound running through the HTS. I honestly cant remember how this was setup to work like this

Now
    1. HTS connect to HDMI port 1 on the TV
    2. HD PVR connected to the red, white connected on HTS so sound runs through HTS. HD PVR is connected to HDMI port 2
    3. PS3 is connected to HDMI port 3

So I dont get sound via the HTS for the PS3 as all the slots on the HTS (HDMI port and red, white connection) are taken up. So when I switch on the PS3, I get picture but no sound as the TV is set to use the HTS sound.

I know this is asking a lot with minimal info here, but can anyone give suggestions on how to get it all working as before? I have a feeling I got something quite wrong here in setting it all up (besides the entry level HTS)?

Cheers
    CF

Why is the pvr connected to both hdmi and analogue audio?

So the hts has one composite in and one hdmi out?

Does the tv have audio out?

You were prob only getting 2ch before?

Tv audio out to composite audio in

Note: I am a noob so maybe wrong but that is what I logically come up with

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    Why is the pvr connected to both hdmi and analogue audio?
    I wanted DSTV to run through the HTS. Plugging in the HDMI cable from the PVR to the TV and the sound would then only come from the TV?

Quote Originally Posted by D3x! View Post
    So the hts has one composite in and one hdmi out?

Does the tv have audio out?
    Yep, has audio out

You were prob only getting 2ch before?
    I think so?

Tv audio out to composite audio in
    Will check this, thanks

Note: I am a noob so maybe wrong but that is what I logically come up with
    Im a real noob at this...prob fudged the whole setup!

No. Pvr to hts with hdmi will carry both picture and sound... No need for extra analogue audio. I assume the hts also acts as an hdmi switch?

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    No. Pvr to hts with hdmi will carry both picture and sound... No need for extra analogue audio. I assume the hts also acts as an hdmi switch?
    Unfort doesn't act as a switch (if I understood correctly). Im running the HDMI cable from its lone 1 HDMI port into HDMI port on TV. So we watch upscaled DVD's on it and have 5.1 sound. There is only 1 HDMI port on it

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFig View Post
    Unfort doesn't act as a switch (if I understood correctly). Im running the HDMI cable from its lone 1 HDMI port into HDMI port on TV. So we watch upscaled DVD's on it and have 5.1 sound. There is only 1 HDMI port on it
    Yeah I think the only way it will work is the way I suggested but then you only get 2ch audio. Only when watching DVD will you get 5.1 if it supports it.

And when watching dstv or ps3 you will have to switch hts to aux mode I think it is, something like that.

Grandmaster

Eish! Ok, think I need to go play some more...thanks for the help, its a start!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFig View Post
    Eish! Ok, think I need to go play some more...thanks for the help, its a start!
    It should def work that way, maybe some other guys tomorrow can help if it is possible to do it better

Grandmaster

Your HTS isn't going to act as an HDMI switcher or repeater as it has no HDMI inputs. And it only has a single analogue audio input so you could connect another audio source (PVR or PS3) and get sound through the HTS. You'll probably need to connect all HDMI devices to the HDMI inputs on the TV and then connect the TV audio output to the analogue audio input on the HTS. Sound for whatever is on the TV will play through the HTS but won't be 5.1 except when you watch a DVD.

Blog Entries

If your TV has optical out, and your HTS has optical in, you can use that to send the audio in full 5.1 quality.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenv View Post
    Your HTS isn't going to act as an HDMI switcher or repeater as it has no HDMI inputs. And it only has a single analogue audio input so you could connect another audio source (PVR or PS3) and get sound through the HTS. You'll probably need to connect all HDMI devices to the HDMI inputs on the TV and then connect the TV audio output to the analogue audio input on the HTS. Sound for whatever is on the TV will play through the HTS but won't be 5.1 except when you watch a DVD.
    Sweet so I was right

Quote Originally Posted by Saajid View Post
    If your TV has optical out, and your HTS has optical in, you can use that to send the audio in full 5.1 quality.
    Surely only if whatever you are watching is broadcast in it?

Oh crap sorry. I read it as the hts having 3 Hdmi ports. My apologies.

Super Grandmaster

This is a Crazy(con)Fig

HD PVR = HDMI = TV
    PS3 = HDMI = TV
    TV = RCA (audio out, eg. red and white) = HTS

Set HTS to AUX or similar.

All sorted.
    Aan Wat Dink Jy Nie?
    50% off first month @ Afrihost

Grandmaster

Ok lekker, that all makes sense...and I have a feeling thats how I had it set up. Thanks for the help!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast