Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 10Gbps SANReN Tshwane fibre optic network officially launched

Default 10Gbps SANReN Tshwane fibre optic network officially launched

10Gbps SANReN Tshwane fibre optic network officially launched

R36 million Tshwane fibre optic network which was completed in March officially launched by CSIR and Department of Science and Technology

And the poor man on the street sees none of this. I want access to the network. Pretty please!!!

Probably one of the most exciting articles I have read in a while.
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

Grandmaster

Proposed network will run right through my town! wish i could link up
    Who cares?

Master

Can we have some before / after pings / traceroutes showing the significance of this... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dnigma View Post
    And the poor man on the street sees none of this. I want access to the network. Pretty please!!!
    I work at a University, connected to this AND we mostly see 100 to 200KB/s

My CellC modem is faster

But I think our firewall / packeteer is to blame. Cannot "manage" the 1GB/s we now have...
    Happy @home with www.ptawug.co.za

Blog Entries

I really don't see why they couldn't just swing by my house and connect me up.

I mean.... I also do a lot of "research".

It is good news to see these kinds of infrastructure developments. Money well spent!

Well done to Meraka as well - getting things done.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    I really don't see why they couldn't just swing by my house and connect me up.

I mean.... I also do a lot of "research".
    Hhahaha. Good one

I research for the best torrent sites. Does that count?

How many fiber networks are there in the country? I see trenches being dug -> covered -> dug again.....different coloured fiber coatings, etc, etc.....

What I don't understand is why they didn't put more fibre in from the get go. Sure 10Gb/s is fast, but is this really future proofing the network? I imagine the main cost to building any fibre network like this is the costs of digging the trenches/labour. I don't understand why they didn't just install x5 or even x10 the fibre and then they won't have to worry about upgrading for a very long time. Now they need to dig new trenches at massive cost to increase capacity.
    i7-920 | ATI Radeon HD5970 | DX58SO Mobo | 6GB@1600Hz | 3.5Tb | Logitech x530

Quote Originally Posted by valmore View Post
    What I don't understand is why they didn't put more fibre in from the get go. Sure 10Gb/s is fast, but is this really future proofing the network? I imagine the main cost to building any fibre network like this is the costs of digging the trenches/labour. I don't understand why they didn't just install x5 or even x10 the fibre and then they won't have to worry about upgrading for a very long time. Now they need to dig new trenches at massive cost to increase capacity.
    It is possibly not the fibre itself that is the speed, but the devices at either end. For example, I live on a property that has fibre to nearly every house and building on it. The fibre does have a max throughput, but that doesn't factor into it in this case. The fibre doesn't determine the speed, but the fibre convertor at either end. So I have gigabit fibre to my house, but most other buildings have 100mbits. So, likewise, hopefully the 10 gigs can be upgarded with minimal effort.
    Last edited by snobee; 03-11-2011 at 04:58 PM.
    i7 980X 3.33GHz @ 4GHz, Rampage III Gene, Noctua NH-D14, Corsair 12GB DDR3-1600, Asus GTX670 4GB, Corsair 80GB & 240GB SSD, Dual 27" IPS7, W7 64bit.

Quote Originally Posted by jasweb View Post
    I work at a University, connected to this AND we mostly see 100 to 200KB/s

My CellC modem is faster

But I think our firewall / packeteer is to blame. Cannot "manage" the 1GB/s we now have...
    Hehe, doubt it, you are probably only getting the left overs after the IT guys suck it dry with torrents!
    i7 980X 3.33GHz @ 4GHz, Rampage III Gene, Noctua NH-D14, Corsair 12GB DDR3-1600, Asus GTX670 4GB, Corsair 80GB & 240GB SSD, Dual 27" IPS7, W7 64bit.

Quote Originally Posted by valmore View Post
    We have plenty fibres in the ground to run a very fast network, making it faster will simply mean upgrading the end equipment. In most of the major metro's, SANReN will hopefully never have to trench except when adding new sites to the network. So capacity in the metro's at this stage is practically unlimited, and we have enough fibres to ensure seamless equipment upgrades that won't affect existing networks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast