Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Centurion gate motor troubleshooting

Default Centurion gate motor troubleshooting

I'm having trouble with my Centurion D5 gate motor. It is not responding to the remote or intercom but I can see from the LED's that it is picking up the signal when I press the remote button. On the pc board the STATUS LED is flashing 4 times but I can't figure out what it means. I've tried disconnecting but it didn't help.

I found an Operator Programming Guide and the User Guide on the Centurion website but neither offer any troubleshooting.

Anyone know where I can find this info, or know what the error code means?

Try setting it to programming mode and then re-entering the master remote,i've had a time or 2 where the memory has been completely reset after bad weather
    www.domaincheap.co.za
    50% off 1 month Afrihost Uncapped here
    Speak to me about Priority after-hours technical support and remote maintenance

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by PsyWulf View Post
    Try setting it to programming mode and then re-entering the master remote,i've had a time or 2 where the memory has been completely reset after bad weather
    Before doing that, simply press the "Test" button on the PCB itself. It serves the same purpose as a remote and if it doesn't operate the gate, then you can rule out that the remote is the problem. The fact that LED's light up when pressing it, confirms this for me already.

When disconnecting the power to reset the PCB, you need to remove the 12V connector on the PCB as well as the battery connectors. Unless both are disconnected, the PCB will remain powered.

Keep it off for 5 seconds then reconnect both the Battery terminals and the 12V connector. If you press your remote, listen for the clicking sounds of the relays on the board. If they activate but there is no motor action, check the 3 fuses on the board. They are over current protection fuses and may have blown if the motor got stuck.

Also check the bottom of the board for ants, they are notorious for shorting out PCB's.
    Chicks are car guards. Kick 'em inna panty!

I suffer from A.D.D. : Attention Deficit Diso - oooh lets go ride bikes! ~

Quote Originally Posted by Voicy View Post
    Before doing that, simply press the "Test" button on the PCB itself. It serves the same purpose as a remote and if it doesn't operate the gate, then you can rule out that the remote is the problem. The fact that LED's light up when pressing it, confirms this for me already.

When disconnecting the power to reset the PCB, you need to remove the 12V connector on the PCB as well as the battery connectors. Unless both are disconnected, the PCB will remain powered.

Keep it off for 5 seconds then reconnect both the Battery terminals and the 12V connector. If you press your remote, listen for the clicking sounds of the relays on the board. If they activate but there is no motor action, check the 3 fuses on the board. They are over current protection fuses and may have blown if the motor got stuck.

Also check the bottom of the board for ants, they are notorious for shorting out PCB's.
    Thanks for the advice, will try it.

I've tried the TEST button and it had the same effect as the remote, so I also don't think the remotes are a problem. I couldn't hear the relays but I didn't disconnect for the 5 seconds you mentioned, so that may be the problem. Or the ants...

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Borrels View Post
    Thanks for the advice, will try it.

I've tried the TEST button and it had the same effect as the remote, so I also don't think the remotes are a problem. I couldn't hear the relays but I didn't disconnect for the 5 seconds you mentioned, so that may be the problem. Or the ants...
    No worries.

It's a simple process of elimination. The simple checklist is:

- Check fuses.
    - Check battery level (13.8V while charging, but if the gate motor doesn't even attempt to move, then it's probably not a flat battery)
    - Check board for damaged tracks/etc.
    - Check battery connectors (if you disconnect the battery, the terminals should have +/- 13.8V across them.)

You don't need to worry about checking the motor or DOS wheel at this stage, since it's not a matter of the gate starting/stopping intermittently.

If the fuses etc. all check out fine, you could also perform a recalibration on the gate limits. (Reprogramming the gate). The manual explains how to do this perfectly. If the gate runs during this exercise, then you know the motor/dos wheel/relays/etc. are all working fine.
    Chicks are car guards. Kick 'em inna panty!

I suffer from A.D.D. : Attention Deficit Diso - oooh lets go ride bikes! ~

Mine is also giving me hell. Got home opened the gate and by mistake pushed it again which stopped the gate so I pushed again and it started closing and then did nothing. Found a piece of post stuck under the one wheel which I removed, but still cant get the freaking thing to work.

I tried everything even re programming the gate and nothing. Board clicks when I push the remote, status LED flashing 5 times. No dam idea.

I have the same Gate motor.

Just checked the manual and if the led flashes 4 times every two seconds it means a repeated obstruction at the gate.

It may be that your obstruction detection is set too sensitive, or that there really is an obstruction. (See page 10 of the "Centurion Swing Gate Operator User Guide")

I once had a similar problem and this was resolved by re-greasing the gate hinges

Hope this helps.

Regards
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimspoon View Post
    Mine is also giving me hell. Got home opened the gate and by mistake pushed it again which stopped the gate so I pushed again and it started closing and then did nothing. Found a piece of post stuck under the one wheel which I removed, but still cant get the freaking thing to work.

I tried everything even re programming the gate and nothing. Board clicks when I push the remote, status LED flashing 5 times. No dam idea.
    5 Flashes is a Microprocessor reset with no remedy suggested in the manual.

I have the full set of manuals.
    If anyone wants them I can upload to Dropbox.
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.

Check your fuses.

Quote Originally Posted by DrYes View Post
    Check your fuses.
    Did that this morning and they all look fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grimspoon View Post
    Did that this morning and they all look fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried Voicy's suggesting of disconnecting both the battery and 12V terminals? This resolved my problem as the error code was reset and the gate worked fine. I did found however that you need to leave it disconnected for a while, not just unplug and replug immediately.

The Centurion manuals are on their website, but it's not obvious which one to get. I found the Installation Guide to be the only useful one as it has a Fault Finding section.

Quote Originally Posted by Borrels View Post
    Have you tried Voicy's suggesting of disconnecting both the battery and 12V terminals? This resolved my problem as the error code was reset and the gate worked fine. I did found however that you need to leave it disconnected for a while, not just unplug and replug immediately.

The Centurion manuals are on their website, but it's not obvious which one to get. I found the Installation Guide to be the only useful one as it has a Fault Finding section.
    Yip I tried that last night, left both power, negative and PC board power off for a while and then replugged and nothing. I just get 5 red flashes on the status light.

O well, I tried, will get our gate guy out today. He thinks its a fuse. I checked the 3 fuses that I found, all looked 100% fine.

Is it possible for a fuse to be blown but you can't actually see where it blew? All 3 had the metal filament clearly visible without signs of it being broken.

Man I hate paying okes to do things that I know I could fix given a bit more time

We have twice had a similar problem. Both times, it was the battery which needed to be replaced.

They are only about R120. Buy one & replace yourself. If you have a UPS with the same battery size, just swop out & test.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    We have twice had a similar problem. Both times, it was the battery which needed to be replaced.

They are only about R120. Buy one & replace yourself. If you have a UPS with the same battery size, just swop out & test.
    Thanks Zara. But surely if it is running off the mains as well it would still work? Or not?

That's what I thought, but apparently not, or so I was told.

The guy that fixed it the first time when I also thought I couldn't do it myself, told me that the gate runs off the battery first. So the battery needs to be be charged & working for the gate to function.

It didn't make sense, but trust me, replacing the battery fixed the problem, so I guess there is some truth in it afterall.

I don't understand it & I'm not a gate-guy, so maybe someone who is can explain it.

All I know, that when the gate stops working, I replace the battery (every 18-24 months) and life is good again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast