Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Quad-Core Commodore 64... look, see !

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Default Quad-Core Commodore 64... look, see !

Apple surprised many when it introduced quad-core processors into its MacBook line for the first time in February.
    But a Commodore 64 packing quad-core?

For the uninitiated, the Commodore 64 Keyboard PC was introduced back in 1982 packing a MOS Technology 6510 1MHz (yes, that's one megahertz) chip running the Commodore kernal accessed via BASIC commands.

That model competed with the Apple II and Atari computers.

Well, a lot has changed in 30 years. After resurrecting the Commodore name in April of 2010, the company came out with an Intel Atom-based design in April of this year. That's a relatively pokey processor though. So, now Commodore has bulked up its lineup with Intel's latest 2.2GHz Core-i7-2720QM quad-core processor (which turbos to 3.3GHz).

Commodore isn't stopping there with the contemporaneous upgrade. It has added two USB 3.0 ports, HDMI, and DVI-D ports, among other connectors.

Other specifications include 8GB of memory, DVD Drive (slot load), Intel HD 3000 graphics, and 2TB hard disk drive (7200 RPM). Also inside is a mini-ITX motherboard and power supply. All for $1,499.

Linky

I want them to do the same to the old Texas Instruments TI 99/4A... sigh. Retro nostalgia rules !

Last edited by kilobits; 08-11-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Yeah, but does it come with a tape drive?

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evilstebunny View Post
    Yeah, but does it come with a tape drive?
    Alas... perhaps they could release external storage drive in a tape-drive-like device ?? A RAID SSD external thing that you need to push PLAY button to mount and EJECT button to remove ? aaaaand it plays tape-squeels-bleeps whenever data is transfered ??

^
    Image, an external HDD that looked like this ! Yumm !
    Last edited by kilobits; 08-11-2011 at 02:23 PM.

This is quite pointless, unless you really like your modern PC to look like a retro C64 with all the drawbacks.

I love retro consoles/technology and enjoyed the Commodore back in the day ,but that is a damn ugly looking machine.
    Resembles a turd wrapped in a bow.
    Last edited by demon angel; 08-11-2011 at 02:05 PM.
    http://www.thegamingsource.co.za
    ^^Seek and you shall find any retro console delivered to your door^^

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Heheheh... would have to find an oooold TV to mount an LCD in for a more complete retro finish... and then begin finding a matching mouse-mod-theme !

There are examples of some really desirable retro-inspired equipment out there... these are not modeled on anything specific from them-days, but seem to celebrate the design ethos from way-back then.

The thing about this Commodore 64 retro-esque is for me is the nostalgia it brings... it is supposed to look crap like it did back in the days. It brings an "Aaaaaw" with it... I would choose this any day over one of those BMW-Merc-with-handles / gawdy-gaming cases. Gimme, want, must have!

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Hey Hey

Here is an example of something that celebrates a design from the 50's... an updated retro take that looks good... or at least I think so...

I would love to see more of this here... add some visual interest to the I.T. world.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Here... another work of imagination inspiring wonder ...

Want, gimme, must have ! Drool.

Quote Originally Posted by kilobits View Post
    Here... another work of imagination inspiring wonder ...

Want, gimme, must have ! Drool.

Ha ha ha.

I suppose it was intentional.

But this is an example of a turd in gold!

I really want this one in 18ct Gold,and i consider it a steal at $29500 US.....(ok it not a computer but still)

http://www.thegamingsource.co.za
    ^^Seek and you shall find any retro console delivered to your door^^

Ah nostalgia... I went and bought cloanto's amiga forever and c64 forever for this stuff... Impossible Mission and Beach Head ftw!

I still have original C64, tape & 5.24" drives, etc!! Also playing Prince of Persia, recently released for C64 - find it here: http://www.c64.com/

Latest Amiga model here: http://vr-zone.com/articles/amiga-re...let/13892.html
    Just a quick note: C#

hmmm i remember opening my C64 and floppy disks ... LOAD "airwolf",8,1

Sigh the memories
    WA!

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deep78 View Post
    hmmm i remember opening my C64 and floppy disks ... LOAD "airwolf",8,1

Sigh the memories
    Indeed !

It would be brilliant if they managed to put an original C64 emulator with all the original games into this quad-core kit, accessible via a toggle... it would also be puuurdier if they kept all the new bits the same colour as the machine.

/sigh

I think that perhaps this is appreciated more by those who lived it in them days... either owned one or desired one waaaay back then.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldhat View Post
    I still have original C64, tape & 5.24" drives, etc!! Also playing Prince of Persia, recently released for C64 - find it here: http://www.c64.com/

Latest Amiga model here: http://vr-zone.com/articles/amiga-re...let/13892.html
    Pfffft at that Amiga tablet. Looks like a generic droid thing.

Now, back in them days, the Amiga looked ahead of its time !

Quote Originally Posted by kilobits View Post
    Now, back in them days, the Amiga looked ahead of its time !
    What do you mean 'looked', it 'was'!

I still like those old pizza box chassis like the A1000, wish they would make a comeback but I suspect they have cooling issues due to their flat design.
    Last edited by ponder; 09-11-2011 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Eish, bad spelling.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast