Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 123 45671353103 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 1689

Thread: Web Africa Home Uncapped Feedback

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loopin View Post
    This is trash. Install any kind of bandwidth monitoring software and you'll see that the speedtest.net result more or less equals the amount of bandwidth being used; meaning... it's accurate.
    except they discard the bottom(or top?) 20% of results, plus isps assign a higher QOS to speedtest boxes.

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loopin View Post
    This is trash. Install any kind of bandwidth monitoring software and you'll see that the speedtest.net result more or less equals the amount of bandwidth being used; meaning... it's accurate.
    Believe what you wish, however I strongly suggest you at least investigate my post for the sake of accuracy.
    Solutions4IT Tel: 087 575 2777 / 087 733 7940 / Facebook

  3. #33

    Default

    Hi Jeff,

    Thanks for offering what I think (or hope) is a product that suits my requirements just fine. The thing that I think that you have not cleared up (or maybe I missed it) is the distinction between Weekdays and Weekends. Surely you will not be looking at traffic over a weekend? I know your 7-day AUP hints at the weekends being included, but if you could please clarify...

    Thanks
    Last edited by UnDeRątAkEr; 16-11-2011 at 07:55 PM.
    Look Ma, surfing the web... no XP updates, no firewalls and no antivirus...

  4. #34
    Super Grandmaster Tinuva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    5,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by who.is.michael View Post
    Believe what you wish, however I strongly suggest you at least investigate my post for the sake of accuracy.
    I actually agree, that M-LAB test is a piece of trash. It doesn't reflect what I experience on my connection either. For example, just did a test now, it reported my download speed as 2.5Mbps, an upload as 0.37Mbps. Funny enough, the upload is accurate, but the download is not.

    Speedtest reports my upload as the same, but my download as 3.7Mbps, which I can safely say is 100% accurate. My downloads regularly go at 430kbyte/sec even during business hours. That to me says the speedtest website is closer to accurate than this so called good mlab crap.

    Just saying, it doesn't reflect what I experience, which is 170ms latency for world in WoW, 10-40ms for games locally, and NNTP download speeds of 430kbyte/sec, which really is all I care about. I easily do 300gig a month, what more do you want or need.

    Stick to your cyber**** and AltechCrap and TrilSuck ISPs, and stop polluting the other popular ISP threads with your biased opinion. Personally I have seen you pollute WA, M-Web and Afrihost threads, really disgusts me.
    Few people can see the genius in someone who has offended them.
    - Robertson Davies

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinuva View Post
    Stick to your cyber**** and AltechCrap and TrilSuck ISPs, and stop polluting the other popular ISP threads with your biased opinion. Personally I have seen you pollute WA, M-Web and Afrihost threads, really disgusts me.
    Hi Tinuva

    I accept this offering might be suitable to you and many others, however there are many local ISP's - (some which you have omitted) that rely on consumer ignorance and even those that would go as far as to blatently falsely advertise their products to gain users.

    Ultimately, it leads to user disappointment and you will see threads of 19 pages long with users complaints, instead of insisting that ISP's should reflect their products accurately and voting with their wallets instead of their emotions.

    As we could all benefit from such a situation.
    Last edited by who.is.michael; 17-11-2011 at 04:12 AM.
    Solutions4IT Tel: 087 575 2777 / 087 733 7940 / Facebook

  6. #36
    Super Grandmaster Tinuva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    5,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by who.is.michael View Post
    Hi Tinuva

    I accept this offering might be suitable to you and many others, however there are many local ISP's - (some which you have omitted) that rely on consumer ignorance and even those that would go as far as to blatently falsely advertise their products to gain users.

    Ultimately, it leads to user disappointment and you will see threads of 19 pages long with users complaints, instead of insisting that ISP's should reflect their products accurately and voting with their wallets instead of their emotions.

    As we could all benefit from such a situation.
    Fair enough, you are not wrong, but you are also not correct.

    Lets take things into perspective. I read a lot of these threads, including the posts of users complaining. Now, you have to look at what is actually the problem, as with many cases, its not actually always the ISPs that are to blames, sometimes yes, but most of the time the problem is not the ISP.

    For example. Many cases I see a person complain and complain, then you get that same person to test another account and they have the same problem, or even worse. This happens with all ISPs, its just more prevalent with the bigger ones, M-Web, Afrihost, WA, Axxess ect. Other times the users actually have bad lines, or congested DSLAMs, and maybe a few select times it would actually be shaping, but more than not, its actually the Telkom side that is to blame.

    Now to make things worse, I have noticed that Telkom techs across the country is pretty inconsistent, you could get things sorted out the same day in one suburb, but in the next it takes months. Sadly, the users blame their ISP, not Telkom.

    So in conclusion, its fine and dandy to vote with your wallet, I don't disagree with that, but put it into perspective. The real problem is, most people don't always find out what the real problem is, and thus never get it sorted out properly.

    As a Cape Tonion user, I promise you, I would be happy on all Cape Town based ISPs, Telkom, WA and Cybersmart. I would hate a IS based account for example. If I were staying in Gauteng, I would probably prefer Telkom, Altech, IS or Neology/Sainet. It helps to technically know a bit whats going on where, again, I put things into perspective and make good use of that information.

    What I don't do is, go and spread FUD all over the threads and try and convince people of my opinion, or even worse, push it down their throats. I will tell you what work for me but say in your case it could be different.

    So to end of this off, I might have been a little bit emotional about your posts, but good grief at some point one has to draw a line and say, enough is enough you are taking it a bit far now.
    Few people can see the genius in someone who has offended them.
    - Robertson Davies

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinuva View Post
    Fair enough, you are not wrong, but you are also not correct.

    Lets take things into perspective. I read a lot of these threads, including the posts of users complaining. Now, you have to look at what is actually the problem, as with many cases, its not actually always the ISPs that are to blames, sometimes yes, but most of the time the problem is not the ISP.

    For example. Many cases I see a person complain and complain, then you get that same person to test another account and they have the same problem, or even worse. This happens with all ISPs, its just more prevalent with the bigger ones, M-Web, Afrihost, WA, Axxess ect. Other times the users actually have bad lines, or congested DSLAMs, and maybe a few select times it would actually be shaping, but more than not, its actually the Telkom side that is to blame.

    Now to make things worse, I have noticed that Telkom techs across the country is pretty inconsistent, you could get things sorted out the same day in one suburb, but in the next it takes months. Sadly, the users blame their ISP, not Telkom.

    So in conclusion, its fine and dandy to vote with your wallet, I don't disagree with that, but put it into perspective. The real problem is, most people don't always find out what the real problem is, and thus never get it sorted out properly.

    As a Cape Tonion user, I promise you, I would be happy on all Cape Town based ISPs, Telkom, WA and Cybersmart. I would hate a IS based account for example. If I were staying in Gauteng, I would probably prefer Telkom, Altech, IS or Neology/Sainet. It helps to technically know a bit whats going on where, again, I put things into perspective and make good use of that information.

    What I don't do is, go and spread FUD all over the threads and try and convince people of my opinion, or even worse, push it down their throats. I will tell you what work for me but say in your case it could be different.

    So to end of this off, I might have been a little bit emotional about your posts, but good grief at some point one has to draw a line and say, enough is enough you are taking it a bit far now.
    Nice post Tinuva, well said exactly whats been happening in most threads, people complaining and bashing ISP's all day.

    I'm not taking any sides just appreciating constructive criticism and understanding the underlying problems that currently exist within our internet landscape is really important. I also do understand peoples frustration if products don't perform as advertised but IMHO I really do believe that we moving in the right direction not at the pace that's needed but we getting there.

  8. #38

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinuva View Post
    What I don't do is, go and spread FUD all over the threads and try and convince people of my opinion, or even worse, push it down their throats. I will tell you what work for me but say in your case it could be different.

    So to end of this off, I might have been a little bit emotional about your posts, but good grief at some point one has to draw a line and say, enough is enough you are taking it a bit far now.
    Mostly accepted and well illustrated; however this is a public forum and when an ISP openly markets their product without clarification or verifiable facts that holds true for the majority of their users, I am of the opinion that an alternative view is warranted to create a balanced perspective.

    In addition; the majority of South African consumers emotionally buy the brand instead of the product and most seem to purchase a product due to the familiarity of the brand and blindly purchase an ISP account due to the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herd_mentality and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keeping...th_the_Joneses.

    I come across this on a daily basis (also clearly evident on these forums) with individuals deeply unhappy with their ISP's offering, however as others report it as good they stick it out - which does not lead to more competition, just continued page after page of complaints.

    However enough of our opinions, lets hear from the users and their experiences and if this WA product is worth purchasing.
    Solutions4IT Tel: 087 575 2777 / 087 733 7940 / Facebook

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NomNom View Post
    So uhh... how was the gaming performance on this?
    Sorry NomNom, I completely forgot, got engrossed in playing Skryim :P

    I'll try to do those tests for you tonight.

  11. #41

    Default

    I had a 384kb uncapped with another host who runs off IS. After a few days my internet was throttled to the point where a google search took nearly a minute. Literally, my net was unusable. I contacted them and they told me it was because my account was being throttled.

    I then pointed out that in their TAC they mention an hourly check on network performance and asked them how come my speeds suck so badly for days on end. They then explained that all ISPs working off IS are subject to the same 10 day rolling window and 30 day rolling window thing but they offered me no explanation for what the hourly network performance was for then.

    Upon further discussing this matter I was told that throttling goes into effect if they feel you are abusing the service and that abuse can be very simply defined as >5Gb in 10 days on 384kbps, >10Gb in 10 days on 1Mb, > 20Gb on 4Mb in 10 days.

    So with that they basically admitted that any ISP running of IS gives uncapped internet with a 5Gb cap on 384 and uncapped with a 20Gb capon 4Mb. Anything over this, it's fair game on how much they can throttle you. Even if it means throttling you down to so slow that even browsing the WWW takes minutes per page.

    I contacted them about this recently and they are not willing to repeat that info again, but instead I got an email saying:
    "We are subject to limitations imposed by IS. We are sorry that you had a bad experience. If I could have done anything at all, I would have done so already. Please feel free to contact us if we can help you with anything"

    So, after 3 bad experiences with uncapped in 4 months I was very happy to learn that WebAfrica, who has always given me fantastic service but no uncapped, finally also have an uncapped package now. I love the fact that their AUP is so transparent and don't hide the "It's uncapped with a 5Gb cap" aspect of their service. Even so, I've had too many bad experiences and am very much afraid to give them a try because i don't know if they are on IS also and if they are... with all good intentions in mind, if IS dictates when a user is abusing their uncapped, then how can they be any better than anyone else...

    I would love to give them the benefit of the doubt but I've been burnt with uncapped too many times now and am very cautious about trying it again so I am now stuck on my capped account with WA...

  12. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CryingRaven View Post
    because i don't know if they are on IS also and if they are... with all good intentions in mind, if IS dictates when a user is abusing their uncapped, then how can they be any better than anyone else...
    WA are a tier 1 provider and as such they run their own network, so IS is not involved at all.

  13. #43
    Web Africa Representative WAJeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    Hi guys,

    We just updated the KB to be more accurate by changing the monitored usage hours to 06:00 -12:00 instead of 07:00 – 12:00.
    Basically this is because of the delay of us receiving usage packets so are giving our customers the benefit of the doubt regarding this.

    So if a client is using data at 5:30 and we receive his usage packet at 6:30 then all the data in that period is counted to the D+ hours as we give the customer that little extra benefit.
    If he connects at 6:15 though and we receive the packet at 7:15, that usage was done outside the D+ hours therefore will be counted

    To be clear that this is not a change in the rules, but just clarification around it

  14. #44

    Default

    It's probably quite premature for anyone to give proper feedback on the uncapped product. I signed up on the day it was launched (4mb uncapped), but thanks to Telkom, my line is sitting at 384kbps until WA takes control of it, so I only had 1 full day of 4MB experience before it was dropped to 384 - and that full day was great, and since then.. as one would imagine, the 384k has been running at its best.

    I've used Afrihost uncapped (roughly a month and a half) and MWEB's uncapped (about 2 months) and both were utter crap. I'm not sure if MWEB has improved as I tried them a long time ago.

    WA was up front about their rolling caps and thresholds and that's admirable when looking back at all the other uncapped offers and drama that has come with them and their FUP's.

    The product is a home product, very reasonably priced, the thresholds are not unreasonable at all (if you cap your downloads to around 100kb/sec constantly on the 4mb you won't hit your threshold).

    It'd be nice if people weren't bitching and whining on here when they don't even have the product - this is after all a feedback thread.. hopefully aimed at feedback from actual customers.

    As a CPT user, no ISP I have tried beats WA when it comes to latency and quality of bandwidth - and if the service levels (while im not "throttled") are as good as the normal WA home per-gig accounts, then there's nothing to complain about.

    Just to add... It's great to be able to log in to the DSL console and actually SEE how close you are to being throttled rather than being surprised by a really **** connection.. does Afri / MWEB give you any idea how far away you are from being throttled?

  15. #45
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    01000011 01010100
    Posts
    1,531

    Default

    @WAJeff: two questions if you don't mind:

    1) Will it be possible to track usage in the monitored period? I use my own bandwidth monitoring but would prefer to know whether you're coming up with the same figures.
    2) How will prioritisation work in the unmonitored period? Will there be any shaping/throttling/limiting/blocking of traffic, and if so, how will it be shaped/throttled/limited/blocked?

Page 3 of 113 FirstFirst 123 45671353103 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •