Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: dodgy DODGY DODGY!!!!

Default dodgy DODGY DODGY!!!!

Hie Joey

Following up on our telephone converstation please quote us for modem that can carry upto 2megabyte of bandwith plus a router.

Also if you can brief us on the limitations of a cisco router 1603 as well as recommend and quote us for a better option that is compatible with the 2mb of bandwidth.

We are on leased line in Zimbabwe and are looking at purchasing the equipment from _____.

You can contact Kuda Chehore on 0730437502 or e-mail him on kchehore@yahoo.co.uk , in South Africa or
    Cliff Sibanda on +263 91 816 763 or landline +263 4 773995/6 or email MailScanner has detected a possible fraud attempt from "uk.f273.mail.yahoo.com" claiming to be cliffsibanda@yaho o.co.uk in Zimbabwe

Regards

Cliff Sibanda

aaaaa.
    why me?

anyonw heard of these guys?

well did u have a conversation with them?... and anyway if u want to do it just ask for payment before the equipment is sent...
    =====
    If trees could scream would we be so cavalier about cutting them down. What if they screamed all the time for no reason?
    =====

I got my first 411 mail the other day. *delete*

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

/me gots a visa card scam today... just ignored it..

Good afternoon, unfortunately some processings have been cracked by hackers, so a new secure code to protect your data has been introduced by Visa. You should check your card balance and in case of suspicious transactions immediately contact your card issuing bank. If you don't see any suspicious transactions, it doesn't mean that the card is not lost and cannot be used. Probably, your card issuers have not updated information yet. That is why we strongly recommend you to visit our website and update your profile, otherwise we cannot guarantee stolen money repayment. Thank you for your attention. Click here [link removed to protect the innocent and clueless] and update your profile.
    /me cancelled mine long ago... so I'm not worried...
    Last edited by The_Librarian; 24-02-2006 at 09:25 PM.
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Default Third Party Scam?

Quote Originally Posted by Joey.
    aaaaa.
    why me?

anyonw heard of these guys?
    Beware!

Sounds like a third party scam to me.

You will probably hear from this guy telephonically shortly after the transaction that he has deposited the funds into your account, with a copy of the deposit slip and it will all look legit, except that the amount paid into your account will be more than the quoted amount. You may even see the amount in your account straight away, if you use internet banking?
    Give him an hour or so and he will phone back in a state of panic, to tell you he has put too much money into your account with some or other lame excuse of putting an amount that was meant for someone else.
    Stories could differ between con artists.

But here is the crux of the con.
    He will now ask you to send the overpaid amount to his account(third party) via EFT.
    EFT is irreversible.
    In my case (yes I was caught too ) he sends his banking details to you via a fax. You even check your account using Internet Banking the next day and the funds still appear in the account.
    Even while you are busy with the EFT transaction to refund this guys account, you feel confident that all is above board as you are an honest businessman and you cannot hold onto money that does not belong to you.
    Even the staff member that dealt with the transaction was caught off guard and I never thought to question her, the fool I was.
    The next day, the amount will be reversed with a "Refer to Drawer" dating back to the first day of the transaction. In my case it was 4 days later on the Saturday of an Easter Weekend when the amount was reversed.
    Then you know, you have been had.
    I even phoned the guy on his cell phone and he gave some or other lame excuse. His name was Mashuda. A month later he was still answering the same cell phone number the scoundrel.

I have all the papers and the returned cheque(stolen) in my cupboard as proof.
    I lost R3200 this way.

May I suggest that you play along with these guys. Even call the CID if you think you may need protection.
    Do not make delivery of the goods requested, nor refund the money for at least a week or until you can make sure the funds in your account are either good or reversed by the bank.
    Better still just ignore the mail.
    Last edited by BTTB; 24-02-2006 at 10:00 PM.
    You can take Telkom out of the Post Office but you can't take the Post Office out of Telkom.
    Quote Originally Posted by bekdik View Post
    Expecting a corporate to do something out of a spirit of goodwill is about as efective as expecting to win a lottery without purchasing a ticket. It ain't gonna happen!