Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Ali Baba and the 40 Vodacom accountants

Default Ali Baba and the 40 Vodacom accountants

As far as I know, all the cellphone companies do the same thing. They sell an initial contract which includes a charge towards the cost of the hardware supplied. If, at the end of the contract period you don't upgrade and renew the contract you continue to get billed at the old price. You are, therefore, still making a contribution towards the cost of the hardware even though it has actually been paid off. They do not automatically reduce the monthly charge by the amount contributed to the cost of the hardware.

Vodacom has a new twist to this. If you've been receiving a discount on a renewed contract because you did not want new hardware they DO increase the monthly charge automatically at the end of the 24 months.

Talk about double standards!

Super Grandmaster

Not sure I agree.

If you have been receiving a discount on the standard subscription price over 24 months then at month 25 you will start to pay the normal subscription price on a month-to-month basis if you didn't upgrade or cancel. All the SP's have the same policy.

Super Grandmaster

I always laugh when my mates say "I'm getting a new phone for free because I'm due for an upgrade!"

No, you're due for buying a new phone all over again. I went back onto "pay-if-you-can" when mine finished.
    Chicks are car guards. Kick 'em inna panty!

I suffer from A.D.D. : Attention Deficit Diso - oooh lets go ride bikes! ~

Quote Originally Posted by ajax View Post
    Not sure I agree.

If you have been receiving a discount on the standard subscription price over 24 months then at month 25 you will start to pay the normal subscription price on a month-to-month basis if you didn't upgrade or cancel. All the SP's have the same policy.
    +1

If you take out another 24 month contract you'll probably be able to get the discounted subscription again.

There's also the question of reduced price contracts because you don't take any hardware.
    ie. ContactX is R100 pm
    ContractX plus a FREE phoneY is R139pm
    ContractX if you don't take any phone is R50pm.

So yes you will/should automatically pay R100pm after 24 months of R139 if you take a phone. If you agree to be locked in for another 24 months though you can pay R50/mo.

And then there's the Vodacare employee (at Vodaworld HQ nogal) who insisted that I got my phone for free when I took it in for repairs. No amount of persuading would convince her otherwise, so I told her to her face she's either too stupid to work there, or she needs to ask her manager for extra training, got up and left.

Quote Originally Posted by ajax View Post
    All the SP's have the same policy.
    Still doesn't make it right.

Quote Originally Posted by MervynB View Post
    Vodacom has a new twist to this. If you've been receiving a discount on a renewed contract because you did not want new hardware they DO increase the monthly charge automatically at the end of the 24 months.
    When I've taken out discounted contracts before the consultants did make an effort to point out that the discount was only for the duration of the contract and that the normal rates would apply when the contract ended. Simply make sure you renew promptly.
    62.15% of South Africans voted in favour of the Nkandla compound and e-tolls.

We choose the thieves and the liars who will govern
    As they don their disguises and prey on the prizes we bought them
    And we'll say that we didn't know
    We'll be know as the wicked, the lazy, the crazy, the people that choose to be blind

When you guys are up for renewal do you walk in-store or order online?

If you walk in-store do you accept the upgrade options presented or do you request that you get a better deal based on your contract history and payment profile, as well as number of contracts with relevant provider?