Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Cybersmart capped non-restored - need feedback

Default Cybersmart capped non-restored - need feedback

I read an earlier thread about the restored vs. non-restored options from Cybersmart, but I see this dated back to February and it seems this option was only surfacing then?

I'm wanting some more up to date feedback from guys who are using the non-restored capped accounts. What sort of international downtime do you experience on average and does it justify the lower price?

I've also read many threads of people complaining about Cybersmart's customer service and how they handle queries. I've never used them as an ISP so just trying to gather some information on it.

I'm essentially looking for the best quality capped account for gaming (lowest downtime/latencies etc) and some youtube/downloading for total monthly usage around 30gb, if anyone has other options they would suggest.

This is how I saw it:

Before seacom everyone at Cybersmart had the restored service, ie, there was no Seacom that could go down so you never really had any problems with International access.

Then came Seacom, so Cybersmart decided that now if you still want no international interruptions you need to pay extra, then they will route you over the old stable line, whatever it may be.

So I thought, hell, we were on that link that never gave any problems, why the hell would one now pay extra to use the same link again?

The first time Seacom went down my international was non existent, 10 minutes later I changed my ISP

edit: my line is still with them, had to much problems moving it back to telkom so just left it with them, cheaper anyway.

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

I just have the standard package. Night rider for download. Not really experienced any downtime that I can recall. Except the neighbour trimming a huge tree a little close to the phone line. But right now I can tell you with certainty that I am clued up about my deal, but I can't tell you if I have restored or non-restored. Don't know where to look or find out. They are very unclear on their side about it.

@ShawnStar: I can imagine that would irritate existing users, to say the least.

The way I see it, I'm going the safe option by getting the restored account, and when I add on the night rider option I'll be paying R284/pm. This could technically get me 25gb of night time downloading and 5gb of regular usage, which seems slightly better than the other offers going around at the moment (ie: the Webafrica 5/20gb combo, cheaper than getting a 50gb Afrihost account, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Scoperzor View Post
    I'm essentially looking for the best quality capped account for gaming (lowest downtime/latencies etc)
    Gaming. Right. For local servers you want Afrihost capped. For international gaming (WoW etc) you want Webafrica.

Using Cybersmart & playing on JHB servers will suck (Not stable & the routing blows for GP crowd). WebAfrica will be OK...stable but higher latency than AH (~30ms more, again routing sucks for GP crowd).

I'd really suggest taking another look at the Afrihost capped accounts. Or alternatively, buy a bit of cap from each & see for yourself.
    A trial by combat would resolve this dispute efficiently

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably test a few prepaid capped accounts like you said. I was just confused as to why there was no middle ground between the 20gb and 50gb accounts from Afrihost.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoperzor View Post
    @ShawnStar: I can imagine that would irritate existing users, to say the least.

The way I see it, I'm going the safe option by getting the restored account, and when I add on the night rider option I'll be paying R284/pm. This could technically get me 25gb of night time downloading and 5gb of regular usage, which seems slightly better than the other offers going around at the moment (ie: the Webafrica 5/20gb combo, cheaper than getting a 50gb Afrihost account, etc)
    I get 2GB free from Cybersmart because my line is still with them, after that I switch to a telkom account that my work pays for...

So if you let them take over your line you will also get 2GB free a month