Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: "Hacked into their computers..."

Default "Hacked into their computers..."

No, this is not about 4chan, I'm busy watching Resident Evil again and Alice makes this statement:
    "I broke into an Umbrella laboratory and hacked into their computers"

It got me thinking, how many movies the last couple of years use this exact phrase, which makes one wonder, what is the use of security then if every meat head and his mother can hack into a PC in under 5 minutes?

It is extraordinary that Hollywood believe every hero to be a uber geek, irks me to no end.

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."

Blog Entries

Hollywood's basic assumption is that most corporations are pretty lax on their network security, haven't installed the latest security updates and that anybody with a little bit of googling can identify those security holes or make use of social hacking.

On that score, they are not far wrong!

Check out this movie called War Games. This is one of the very earliest computer hacking stories. Lol, I was such an uber-geek back then
    Think for yourself, Question authority, Know what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Valis View Post
    Check out this movie called War Games. This is one of the very earliest computer hacking stories. Lol, I was such an uber-geek back then
    Case in point, there is a back-door with the password of the guys deceased son, I mean really? And the kid just happened to guess it right.

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."

At the centre of my bubble of perception.

How often do you see a MS Windows interface when the people in those movies are hacking. Almost never in my experience. Moral of the story ... if you use Windows, you're safe.
    Twinkle, twinkle little star
    Wat de donner soek jy daar?

Quote Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
    Case in point, there is a back-door with the password of the guys deceased son, I mean really? And the kid just happened to guess it right.
    Lol, only in the movies!

Mind you, computer security was a bit of a joke back then, 4-digit passwords were the norm, hehe.
    Think for yourself, Question authority, Know what's going on

Master

Hacking in is still plausible, what grates me is when the actor furiously types away while a graphic loads or the cursor is flashing away at the top of the page not moving. Swordfish

Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    How often do you see a MS Windows interface when the people in those movies are hacking. Almost never in my experience. Moral of the story ... if you use Windows, you're safe.
    And there was no tongue-in-cheek there
    Real Men Don't Rape! [Lead SA]
    Report rape and sexual abuse. You can SMS an anonymous tip-off to 32211. SMS charged at R1.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBullBully View Post
    Hacking in is still plausible, what grates me is when the actor furiously types away while a graphic loads or the cursor is flashing away at the top of the page not moving. Swordfish
    Damn you! I wanted to say Swordfish. Best. Hacking. Ever. Except movies with lines of green text. We all know that to really be hacking, there must be lines of green text.
    ★ mAcme for Mac OS X & 3G | Antenna & Tower Help
    MyBB Currie Cup SuperBru
    Block WASPs on MTN. Dial *141*5# Select Content Billing.

Quote Originally Posted by GreGorGy View Post
    ... there must be lines of green text.
    That comes from the fact that most early Unix boxes had green as the default text color in the console. <I think>
    Also because of the days prior to color monitors , green ones were abundant.

Quote Originally Posted by GreGorGy View Post
    Damn you! I wanted to say Swordfish. Best. Hacking. Ever.
    I cannot believe I forgot the best hacking ever. Uploading a virus from your crappy Mac Powerbook (5300 iirc, one of the worst ever produced) into an alien mothership. Independence Duh!
    MyBB Currie Cup SuperBru

Quote Originally Posted by Zyraz View Post
    That comes from the fact that most early Unix boxes had green as the default text color in the console. <I think>
    Also because of the days prior to color monitors , green ones were abundant.
    Mmmm - we had amber ones here. I think I will now reduce my mac to green only, so that my clients think I am clever.

Actually, to be entirely honest, my terminal is green on black by preference, not design. I feel embarrassed and will change it to blue on pink in shame.
    MyBB Currie Cup SuperBru