Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Which 3G provider is the best?



  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somerset West
    Posts
    55

    Default Which 3G provider is the best?

    Hi guys,

    I have a Vodacom data contract which has awesome speeds, but Vodacom is bloody expensive.

    And I have a Cell C 60GB prepaid sim that has atrocious speeds, but is very affordable, as it's already paid for.

    Now I need to know from all you guys (especially the ones living in and around the Helderberg area in the Western Cape) which of the 4 3G providers (or is it 5 if I count Virgin Mobile?) offers the best internet speeds at the best price, because if I have to deal with Cell C for much longer I might just blow a blood vessel and I can't afford to get a bigger Vodacom contract. They would bankrupt me.

    I need options! How is MTN? Are they any good? What about 8.ta? Even though I don't really want to deal with anything connected to Telkom.

    Please help! I need the advice of the people who know!

  2. #2

    Default

    I'm in Durban but am very happy with 8ta...good speeds and never had a connection hassle (at HOME) but if you move around alot then my money is always with Vodacom.
    Virgin is cell C with wrapping on. Same idea as Red Bull mobile.

    For 8ta you will need to research signal in yor area. I suggest getting a prepaid sim and dumping R10 on just to see if you can get online. I have 2 x 10 gig contracts at R200 each....

    Hope this helps

    Sent from my GT-P7500 using MyBroadband Android App

  3. #3
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Western Cape
    Posts
    5,421
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I think you have to find out where the closest cell-masts are to where you use it the most. My own closest one is CellC which is 750m away. Most of the time I get 3mb/sec but now and then it slows to just under 1mb/sec. Apparently the 3G signal does drop off with distance. Since all the networks will be affected by too many users, you may as well give it a chance by using the cell-tower closest. I also put in an aerial and that helped a lot. I've just assisted a guy in Ottery who was getting 0.09 mb/sec with his MTN modem. The aerial on a 5m pole (which cost R 2300) boosted this to 3.5 mb/sec.
    Things won are done; joy's soul lies in the doing

  4. #4
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somerset West
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rrejustin View Post

    For 8ta you will need to research signal in yor area. I suggest getting a prepaid sim and dumping R10 on just to see if you can get online.
    That's a good idea to test 8.ta. Thanks for your help.

  5. #5
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Somerset West
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisc4290 View Post
    I think you have to find out where the closest cell-masts are to where you use it the most. My own closest one is CellC which is 750m away. Most of the time I get 3mb/sec but now and then it slows to just under 1mb/sec. Apparently the 3G signal does drop off with distance. Since all the networks will be affected by too many users, you may as well give it a chance by using the cell-tower closest. I also put in an aerial and that helped a lot. I've just assisted a guy in Ottery who was getting 0.09 mb/sec with his MTN modem. The aerial on a 5m pole (which cost R 2300) boosted this to 3.5 mb/sec.
    When I started with Cell C a year ago when they started offering their WHOOOSH deals, I got fantastic speeds and my computer hasn't moved from that spot. I get that since then a lot of users got added, which is probably part of the problem, but unless the tower is busted and not broadcasting properly, I can't see that that could be my problem. And if I could afford an aerial of R2300 I wouldn't be on 3G. I would probably have wireless broadband. But thanks anyway. I appreciate the input.

  6. #6

    Default

    I was in the same situation as you. Bought my CellC 2GB prepaid sim in May this year. Speeds were great at first but then it deteriorated to the point where I couldn't even get a connection at times. So I tested 8ta at my place and signed up for the 10GB contract. Great speeds and pings. Got another 6 months left on my CellC sim but don't really need it anymore.

  7. #7
    Grandmaster system32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lost in Space
    Posts
    1,032

    Lightbulb LPDA11A 11dBi GSM Antenna

    Quote Originally Posted by Genesistt View Post
    When I started with Cell C a year ago when they started offering their WHOOOSH deals, I got fantastic speeds and my computer hasn't moved from that spot. I get that since then a lot of users got added, which is probably part of the problem, but unless the tower is busted and not broadcasting properly, I can't see that that could be my problem. And if I could afford an aerial of R2300 I wouldn't be on 3G. I would probably have wireless broadband. But thanks anyway. I appreciate the input.
    Speed is dependent on coverage and congestion:

    I'm nearly 1km away from the Cell-C base station.
    Buy a pre-paid SIM from the providers and test.
    Ensure that you have a good 21Mpbs device (eg Huawei E372)

    R2300 for an antenna?
    For a good, in-expensive 3G aerial try LPDA11A 11dBi GSM Antenna R475:
    http://www.dbg.co.za/product_info.ph...roducts_id=662
    or a kit
    http://www.dbg.co.za/index.php?cPath=32_35

    Call the Cell-C service desk and ask them to check the base station.
    The base station in my area went down for a few days after some lightning.
    Also ensure that you use the 900Mhz connection.
    9c/l fuel levy would pay off GFIP in 8 years
    Telkom ADSL "legal" contention ratio is 20:1
    "IPC bandwidth is 4x the cost of international bandwidth" - Afrihost

  8. #8
    Grandmaster system32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lost in Space
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rrejustin View Post
    For 8ta you will need to research signal in yor area. I suggest getting a prepaid sim and dumping R10 on just to see if you can get online.
    Unfortunately, the regular R10 8ta pre-paid is configured to also roam on MTN.
    You need to get a sim that is configured primary for 8.ta base stations like the "2gb+1gb promo" R149.
    http://www.8ta.com/plans/2gbpromo/
    9c/l fuel levy would pay off GFIP in 8 years
    Telkom ADSL "legal" contention ratio is 20:1
    "IPC bandwidth is 4x the cost of international bandwidth" - Afrihost

  9. #9
    Mountain Man OMB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    right here
    Posts
    33,228

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by system32 View Post
    Unfortunately, the regular R10 8ta pre-paid is configured to also roam on MTN.
    You need to get a sim that is configured primary for 8.ta base stations like the "2gb+1gb promo" R149.
    http://www.8ta.com/plans/2gbpromo/
    you can mail 8ta to get the pre-paid sim unlocked details in this thread

    http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...IM-NON-ROAMING
    under construction

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •