Thread: Which 3G provider is the best?

Default Which 3G provider is the best?

Hi guys,

I have a Vodacom data contract which has awesome speeds, but Vodacom is bloody expensive.

And I have a Cell C 60GB prepaid sim that has atrocious speeds, but is very affordable, as it's already paid for.

Now I need to know from all you guys (especially the ones living in and around the Helderberg area in the Western Cape) which of the 4 3G providers (or is it 5 if I count Virgin Mobile?) offers the best internet speeds at the best price, because if I have to deal with Cell C for much longer I might just blow a blood vessel and I can't afford to get a bigger Vodacom contract. They would bankrupt me.

I need options! How is MTN? Are they any good? What about 8.ta? Even though I don't really want to deal with anything connected to Telkom.

Please help! I need the advice of the people who know!

I'm in Durban but am very happy with 8ta...good speeds and never had a connection hassle (at HOME) but if you move around alot then my money is always with Vodacom.
    Virgin is cell C with wrapping on. Same idea as Red Bull mobile.

For 8ta you will need to research signal in yor area. I suggest getting a prepaid sim and dumping R10 on just to see if you can get online. I have 2 x 10 gig contracts at R200 each....

Hope this helps

Sent from my GT-P7500 using MyBroadband Android App

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

I think you have to find out where the closest cell-masts are to where you use it the most. My own closest one is CellC which is 750m away. Most of the time I get 3mb/sec but now and then it slows to just under 1mb/sec. Apparently the 3G signal does drop off with distance. Since all the networks will be affected by too many users, you may as well give it a chance by using the cell-tower closest. I also put in an aerial and that helped a lot. I've just assisted a guy in Ottery who was getting 0.09 mb/sec with his MTN modem. The aerial on a 5m pole (which cost R 2300) boosted this to 3.5 mb/sec.
    Things won are done; joy's soul lies in the doing

Quote Originally Posted by rrejustin View Post

For 8ta you will need to research signal in yor area. I suggest getting a prepaid sim and dumping R10 on just to see if you can get online.
    That's a good idea to test 8.ta. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc4290 View Post
    I think you have to find out where the closest cell-masts are to where you use it the most. My own closest one is CellC which is 750m away. Most of the time I get 3mb/sec but now and then it slows to just under 1mb/sec. Apparently the 3G signal does drop off with distance. Since all the networks will be affected by too many users, you may as well give it a chance by using the cell-tower closest. I also put in an aerial and that helped a lot. I've just assisted a guy in Ottery who was getting 0.09 mb/sec with his MTN modem. The aerial on a 5m pole (which cost R 2300) boosted this to 3.5 mb/sec.
    When I started with Cell C a year ago when they started offering their WHOOOSH deals, I got fantastic speeds and my computer hasn't moved from that spot. I get that since then a lot of users got added, which is probably part of the problem, but unless the tower is busted and not broadcasting properly, I can't see that that could be my problem. And if I could afford an aerial of R2300 I wouldn't be on 3G. I would probably have wireless broadband. But thanks anyway. I appreciate the input.

I was in the same situation as you. Bought my CellC 2GB prepaid sim in May this year. Speeds were great at first but then it deteriorated to the point where I couldn't even get a connection at times. So I tested 8ta at my place and signed up for the 10GB contract. Great speeds and pings. Got another 6 months left on my CellC sim but don't really need it anymore.

Lightbulb LPDA11A 11dBi GSM Antenna

Quote Originally Posted by Genesistt View Post
    When I started with Cell C a year ago when they started offering their WHOOOSH deals, I got fantastic speeds and my computer hasn't moved from that spot. I get that since then a lot of users got added, which is probably part of the problem, but unless the tower is busted and not broadcasting properly, I can't see that that could be my problem. And if I could afford an aerial of R2300 I wouldn't be on 3G. I would probably have wireless broadband. But thanks anyway. I appreciate the input.
    Speed is dependent on coverage and congestion:

I'm nearly 1km away from the Cell-C base station.
    Buy a pre-paid SIM from the providers and test.
    Ensure that you have a good 21Mpbs device (eg Huawei E372)

R2300 for an antenna?
    For a good, in-expensive 3G aerial try LPDA11A 11dBi GSM Antenna R475:
    http://www.dbg.co.za/product_info.ph...roducts_id=662
    or a kit
    http://www.dbg.co.za/index.php?cPath=32_35

Call the Cell-C service desk and ask them to check the base station.
    The base station in my area went down for a few days after some lightning.
    Also ensure that you use the 900Mhz connection.
    9c/l fuel levy would pay off GFIP in 8 years
    Telkom ADSL "legal" contention ratio is 20:1
    "IPC bandwidth is 4x the cost of international bandwidth" - Afrihost

Quote Originally Posted by rrejustin View Post
    For 8ta you will need to research signal in yor area. I suggest getting a prepaid sim and dumping R10 on just to see if you can get online.
    Unfortunately, the regular R10 8ta pre-paid is configured to also roam on MTN.
    You need to get a sim that is configured primary for 8.ta base stations like the "2gb+1gb promo" R149.
    http://www.8ta.com/plans/2gbpromo/
    9c/l fuel levy would pay off GFIP in 8 years
    Telkom ADSL "legal" contention ratio is 20:1
    "IPC bandwidth is 4x the cost of international bandwidth" - Afrihost

Quote Originally Posted by system32 View Post
    Unfortunately, the regular R10 8ta pre-paid is configured to also roam on MTN.
    You need to get a sim that is configured primary for 8.ta base stations like the "2gb+1gb promo" R149.
    http://www.8ta.com/plans/2gbpromo/
    you can mail 8ta to get the pre-paid sim unlocked details in this thread

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...IM-NON-ROAMING
    under construction