I'm getting closer to dumping gnome. I wanted to edit an epub and opened the html files with gedit and every time I tried to change something, the CPU utilization jumped to 100% on one of the cores making the edit virtually impossible. A bit of googling showed that there has been a problem like this around for some time now.
I installed scribes to try something different, but the same thing happened, so it would appear this is a gnome problem.
I edited the same files from crunchbang in a virtualbox using Geany with no problems whatsover. Rebuilt the epub and converted it to mobi, so am ready to read the book on my Kindle.
Specs: i5 2500, 8GB RAM, Wheezy 64-bit, still with gnome 2.3. Whether the problem is due to wheezy having bits of gnome 2.3 and 3.0 remains to be seen, but I'm getting rather irritated with it now. Will try it on my squeeze machine later.