Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: gedit, CPU hog

Default gedit, CPU hog

I'm getting closer to dumping gnome. I wanted to edit an epub and opened the html files with gedit and every time I tried to change something, the CPU utilization jumped to 100% on one of the cores making the edit virtually impossible. A bit of googling showed that there has been a problem like this around for some time now.

I installed scribes to try something different, but the same thing happened, so it would appear this is a gnome problem.

I edited the same files from crunchbang in a virtualbox using Geany with no problems whatsover. Rebuilt the epub and converted it to mobi, so am ready to read the book on my Kindle.

Specs: i5 2500, 8GB RAM, Wheezy 64-bit, still with gnome 2.3. Whether the problem is due to wheezy having bits of gnome 2.3 and 3.0 remains to be seen, but I'm getting rather irritated with it now. Will try it on my squeeze machine later.

Grandmaster

I'm guessing it's a Debian / Gnome issue.

I've been using gedit for years on Fedora (F14 - gnome 2 & F16 - gnome 3 in daily use) with no problems, currently got 17 gedit tabs open on this dev system:

Code:
    [mick@mick1 out-tray]$ uptime
     17:09:39 up 20 days,  9:50,  6 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.03, 0.05

[mick@mick1 out-tray]$ iostat
    Linux 2.6.35.14-106.fc14.x86_64 (mick1.mickza) 	12/30/2011 	_x86_64_	(3 CPU)

avg-cpu:  %user   %nice %system %iowait  %steal   %idle
              10.11    0.70    5.54    0.27    0.00   83.38

Device:            tps   Blk_read/s   Blk_wrtn/s   Blk_read   Blk_wrtn
    sda               2.01        24.49        65.08   43196892  114803056
    sdb               0.25        18.72         1.39   33026132    2448280
    sdc               1.81       104.17       106.19  183760202  187314184
    scd0              0.00         0.04         0.00      75792          0
    Last edited by MickZA; 30-12-2011 at 05:44 PM.

I dumped Gnome on Debian and went KDE - cannot believe the performance improvement. (I was Gnome head for 5yrs)
    Character is how you treat those that can do nothing for you.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl-sa View Post
    I'm getting closer to dumping gnome
    Just do it!

It would help if you could give the output of htop or top for lack of anything better (aka htop).

If you have a spare machine around:
    Use gedit till it freezes the PC on machine a
    ssh into machine a with machine b and get the htop output.

Now you will know what caused the load and where to begin searching for the solution.

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."

@Mick: I had no probs with the last book I edited with gedit (ubuntu 10.04) , so I'm sure it's something to do with wheezy.

@MyWorld: I'm not sure I have the inclination to fight anymore. I think I'll follow Koffie and move to something else. The question is what? Squeeze will become wheezy, mint will eventually get gnome 3. Crunchbang looks like an option, but I'm wary of one man shows.

Dump gnome and install openbox? I have a second partition with U10.04 which I don't use??

Sent from my U20i using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BigAl-sa; 30-12-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl-sa View Post
    I think I'll follow Koffie and move to something else. The question is what?
    KDE? I'm not really a fan but it stays out of my way and I haven't had issues with it using undue resources (I use the text editors kwrite and kate quite heavily), and it's pretty much stock standard on Debian.

Quote Originally Posted by koffiejunkie View Post
    KDE? I'm not really a fan but it stays out of my way and I haven't had issues with it using undue resources (I use the text editors kwrite and kate quite heavily), and it's pretty much stock standard on Debian.
    I was a big KDE fan, but the bugs in the versions following Kubuntu 7.10 to 10.04 put me off. My missus is still on Kubuntu 10.04 but I don't get onto her machine much.

Sent from my U20i using Tapatalk

Super Grandmaster

Which bugs? I've only been using Ubuntu since whatever the last version was or one before, but the only KDE4 bug I've seen is mostly cosmetic and doesn't affect my work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by koffiejunkie View Post
    Which bugs? I've only been using Ubuntu since whatever the last version was or one before, but the only KDE4 bug I've seen is mostly cosmetic and doesn't affect my work at all.
    As I said, I haven't looked at KDE recently, but there were many bugs, especially with the panel (and the whole plasma/plasmoid philosophy), when kde4 was released. These bugs were irritating enough to make me move to gnome.

gnome is now probably going to have to go through what kde went through after kde4 was released.