Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cell C and iPhone 4s problem

Default Cell C and iPhone 4s problem

Anyone having problems Cell C on iPhone 4s? I'm on my second cell c micro sim, still getting the 'no service' error. I updated firmware to 5.0.1 and it made no difference.

However, when I used my friend's MTN and Vodacom micro sims, it works fine. Didn't want to resort to getting MTN or Vodacom, seems to be the only logical thing to do now.

Quote Originally Posted by bsntombela View Post
    Anyone having problems Cell C on iPhone 4s? I'm on my second cell c micro sim, still getting the 'no service' error. I updated firmware to 5.0.1 and it made no difference.

However, when I used my friend's MTN and Vodacom micro sims, it works fine. Didn't want to resort to getting MTN or Vodacom, seems to be the only logical thing to do now.
    Are u running the new firmware for the 4S (5.0.1/9A406) and not the ..9A405?

If you have the 405 I suggest upgrade to the 406 and try it again. Firmware here

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

Default Cell C & iPhone 4S Problem FIX

Okay, hope I post this right.. lol

Hi guys

I had the exact same problem.... And after much battling and driving backwards and forwards to Cell C in Centurion, I eventually figured out what the issue is and how to fix it. Actually rather easy fix, but totally unnecessary..

The fix:

Go buy a usual sim from Cell C(or do a sim-swap if needed), but VERY important is to make sure you check the copper contact section at the back of the sim you get/get given by the staff... If you compare it to the size of the copper contact section on the back of the micro sim, the sim card you want to get is the sim with the larger copper contact surface area(See pic). If you need the pic of the difference or something, email me. To make sure its the right one, check the different sims. You will immediately see the difference.

Here is that pic of the different sim cards:

Take that sim and get yourself a micro-sim template and cut it to micro-sim size. Put it in the sim tray, insert and BOOM... iPhone 4S = Now working on Cell C.

I hope this helps as many people as possible and thereby skipping the stress, frustration and saving you cash... Just an interesting fact, I ended up having to spend R400 on sims and sim-swaps in the past 24hrs because of the inadequate staff, but that's another story.

I will be posting this comment on other threads and also making an article for it on my blog for means of reference with pictures and all. Sorry no colouring in pictures or those awesome "pop-up" pics.

If you need anything, give me a shout on my blog, on Twitter, or Facebook
    G™
    Last edited by WorkMyApple; 05-01-2012 at 11:12 PM.

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for this. I lost my patience and sommer ported my number from Cell C to Vodacom. Vodacom works perfectly.

It seems to be quite a well documented problem with the 4s though. Worldwide...

I'm seriously considering porting to Vodacom after Cell C's attitude and inadequacy.

So far so good. My phone and self made micro sim is working 100's.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkMyApple View Post
    Okay, hope I post this right.. lol

Hi guys

I had the exact same problem.... And after much battling and driving backwards and forwards to Cell C in Centurion, I eventually figured out what the issue is and how to fix it. Actually rather easy fix, but totally unnecessary..

The fix:

Go buy a usual sim from Cell C(or do a sim-swap if needed), but VERY important is to make sure you check the copper contact section at the back of the sim you get/get given by the staff... If you compare it to the size of the copper contact section on the back of the micro sim, the sim card you want to get is the sim with the larger copper contact surface area(See pic). If you need the pic of the difference or something, email me. To make sure its the right one, check the different sims. You will immediately see the difference.

Here is that pic of the different sim cards:

Take that sim and get yourself a micro-sim template and cut it to micro-sim size. Put it in the sim tray, insert and BOOM... iPhone 4S = Now working on Cell C.

I hope this helps as many people as possible and thereby skipping the stress, frustration and saving you cash... Just an interesting fact, I ended up having to spend R400 on sims and sim-swaps in the past 24hrs because of the inadequate staff, but that's another story.

I will be posting this comment on other threads and also making an article for it on my blog for means of reference with pictures and all. Sorry no colouring in pictures or those awesome "pop-up" pics.

If you need anything, give me a shout on my blog, on Twitter, or Facebook

G™

Good day All

I have tested it and mine is working fine.
    Cut the sim and my 4s work like a charm on the Cell C network.
    I have managed to get my hands on the a few of those sim cards.
    I have got a few of the old data promos 2GB and 5GB left that i have put the sims with.
    Please PM me if require a data sim promo.

From what i could tell seems to be a manufacturing issue on the new micro sim, as some old ones work fine.
    We have taken this up this the supplier.

Regards
    ~AM~
    Cell_C Rep

I just had this same issue yesterday with my new iphone 4s, if anybody needs to locate these sims in the Cape Town area I found alot of them at CNA in Canal Walk looked like all there current stock on the floor was the bigger contact strip sims..

PS thanks for the post helped big time

Hi Aubreyst,

Thanks for letting us know. It seems these sim are scarce.

I just hope Cell C can sort out their issues with this ASAP.

If you need any other help, please let me know:-)

G

I cut my own Cell C SIM, worked fine.

Just ran into the same problem. Strangely though, the new Micro SIM that does not work in the iPhone 4S, works perfectly in my iPad 3. The question is just, how am I going to load data vouchers now that I cannot put it into my phone?

That is odd. Micro-Sim still works in old phones, like my old Nokia. Just gotta position it correctly.

Just got my wife an iphone 4s from the US and looking at getting on a StraightUp Topup from Cell C.

Anyone knows if the sim card that will be provided be a micro-sim? If not, should it be easy to be cut to the format, or do I still have to make sure that it is one with the larger copper contact surface?

Thanks for the help.

IFAIK there are 2 types of micro sim cards. The one pushes out like normal size sim and the other sits within the normal size sim template.
    Make sure you get the one that has NO template. My wife and I both went over to Cell C from Vodacom without any hassles. 99c per min and per second billing makes a HUGE difference!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    IFAIK there are 2 types of micro sim cards. The one pushes out like normal size sim and the other sits within the normal size sim template.
    I'm not sure if I understand correctly - I thought micro-sim was a standard, hence it should only be one format no?

Do you have any pics of what it would look like? Or anything specific you asked Cell C stores?

Yeah as far as I know a Micro-Sim basically is exactly the same as the old SIM standard, except with less plastic borders.

Anyway, the issue is, Cell C's own Micro-SIM doesn't work! But if you cut your own it does.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast