Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: River / dam swimming spots around near Cape Town

Default River / dam swimming spots around near Cape Town

Hi,

I'm looking for some more recommended river or dam swimming spots around the Cape Town area please. Preferably free.

Ones I know about already:

Not free

The dam at Silvermine Nature Reserve
    De Hollandsche Molen in Franschhoek
    Bains Kloof
    The river at Solms Delta Delta Wine Estate in Franschhoek
    The Berg River Resort near Franschhoek

Free

The Palmiet River (under the bridge between Betty's Bay and Kleinmond)

More please?

Bains Kloof is not free???

I was there this Sunday and all it cost me was some gas and a layer of my skin (I am still suffering the sunburn).

About 1Km or less down the pass from the camping area you can park on the side of the road and take the path down to the river. Not even a 1 minute walk. It is very steep though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanbighead View Post
    Bains Kloof is not free???

I was there this Sunday and all it cost me was some gas and a layer of my skin (I am still suffering the sunburn).

About 1Km or less down the pass from the camping area you can park on the side of the road and take the path down to the river. Not even a 1 minute walk. It is very steep though.
    Cool thanks. I was referring to the camping area.

Technically you need a permit to go into Bainskloof, costs about R20.

Crystal Pools near Gordons' Bay, though I don't like that place - too easy to get to = too many people, lots of litter.

Krom River and Elands River just on the other side of Du Toitskloof tunnel

Suicide Gorge if you are feeling brave - lowest compulsory jump is 8m, highest is 14m

All the above require a permit.

Free:

The reservoir to the left as you go up to Rhodes Mem (illegal, but easy to get into)
    The dams on the top of the mountain (swimming technically not allowed, but who is going to catch you?)

Quote Originally Posted by scudsucker View Post

The reservoir to the left as you go up to Rhodes Mem (illegal, but easy to get into)
    The dams on the top of the mountain (swimming technically not allowed, but who is going to catch you?)

Dude ! We drink that water :/
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

Crystal Pools near Gordons' Bay, though I don't like that place - too easy to get to = too many people, lots of litter.

Krom River and Elands River just on the other side of Du Toitskloof tunnel
    Looks awesome, but the misses is not going to want to hike that far

Stellenbosch Jonkersoek - woodlands, berg, braai and swim in clean river - small entrance fee
    This text exists even though you can't really see it, now apply this truth to your existence in the universe.

this made me realise how lucky I am to stay less than 10km from my parent's farm which has access to Eersterivier and 6 dams.
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    Dude ! We drink that water :/
    Its not like I piss in it!

Also it gets filtered before you drink it. Besides, plenty of people want a taste of me.

... Besides, plenty of people want a taste of me.
    Post of the day !
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991