Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: diy - broken grill

Grandmaster

Default diy - broken grill

so the grill in my kitchen oven has decided to cook it last its last meal.

so is it easy change grill element yourself? and where would i actually buy this replacement grill element

if this can't be done diy style - who do i call? an electrician?
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

you have to know the 5 "D"s of dodgeball;..dodge;.duck..dip;..dive and dodge

you can generally find what you need here: http://www.macspares.co.za/stoves-mi...sort=1a&page=2

however are you sure it is the element? not a fuse etc?

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by D3x! View Post
    however are you sure it is the element? not a fuse etc?
    i would have no idea...wouldn't even know where to look for the fuse -it's an under counter oven

make and model?

i am no expert but on the under counter ones fuses are generally at the back if i recall

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's easy to replace.

1. First check that it's not the fuse (if you have one of those ovens with fuses).
    2. If it's the fuse, replace and check.
    3. If it's not the fuse, switch off at mains. Make sure it's off by turning on a [working] plate and feel if it's warming up. Alternatively [best method] = use a multimeter.
    4. Move stove away from wall to gain access to rear.
    5. Some ovens/stove have a cover screwed onto the rear. Unscrew it, you should see lots of electrical wiring.
    6. Locate the grill element and its cabling. Make note (masking tape) which cable goes where, and unplug/unscrew. A torch will be handy here.
    7. The element itself is fastened with two screws inside. Loosen these, and carefully remove the element.
    8. Take element to the spares shop, get replacement. Also take a note of the oven make and model with.
    9. Refitting is a reversal of removal.

If you're not comfortable working with ovens and electricity, you can get an electrician. Most spares shops usually have a technician who can do the same job. Phone around for pricing and callouts before the time though.

edit : Had a look on our Defy oven - no fuses of any kind to be found :/
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Grandmaster

bauer model 182UC - or that's what it says on the front. google didn't really help

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    It's easy to replace.

1. First check that it's not the fuse (if you have one of those ovens with fuses).
    3. If it's not the fuse, switch off at mains. Make sure it's off by turning on a [working] plate and feel if it's warming up. Alternatively [best method] = use a multimeter.
    5. Some ovens/stove have a cover screwed onto the rear. Unscrew it, you should see lots of electrical wiring.
    6. Locate the grill element and its cabling. Make note (masking tape) which cable goes where, and unplug/unscrew. A torch will be handy here.
    7. The element itself is fastened with two screws inside. Loosen these, and carefully remove the element.
    8. Take element to the spares shop, get replacement. Also take a note of the oven make and model with.

If you're not comfortable working with ovens and electricity, you can get an electrician. Most spares shops usually have a technician who can do the same job. Phone around for pricing and callouts before the time though.

doesn't sound too hard to do, thanks. this job will have until saturday it sounds, oh and i have to find the replacement part as well

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wizdumb View Post
    doesn't sound too hard to do, thanks. this job will have until saturday it sounds, oh and i have to find the replacement part as well
    It's generally the best to take the original part with when purchasing the replacement part - to ensure that the replacement part is actually the correct part.

Otherwise you'll do the ping-pong thing.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    It's easy to replace.

Defy fuses are on the top where the knobs are.

What The_Librarian said. Oh and the ping-pong thing can put you in a very nice mood as well...LOL.

I cannot find a service manual or manual for your stove. Under counter stoves works a little differently than normal standalone stoves and I have no idea if they have fuses or even where they are.

See if you can get the manual or look at a model similar to your at a local store and ask the assistant to show you where the fuses are located.

Other than that phone/email Bauer and ask them for a manual? It has worked for me in the past with companies.

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lounger View Post
    Defy fuses are on the top where the knobs are.
    Will have a look again.

i think you okes msised that it is an under counter oven

Blog Entries

Have you tried contacting Bauer directly? I had our under-counter's fuse done that way 3 years ago, for a callout fee of course. Was easier/safer than trusting my clumsy DIY skill
    "No! You idiot! You on the right track but on the wrong train." - RPhiri

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by flarkit View Post
    Have you tried contacting Bauer directly? I had our under-counter's fuse done that way 3 years ago, for a callout fee of course. Was easier/safer than trusting my clumsy DIY skill
    thanks. emailed bauer who refered me to Independent Appliance Services 086 110 1913 . these guys were not helpfull at all, the guy at the spares dep, said they were out of stock approx 1sec after i gave him the model number and put the phone down.

i've emailed them *crosses fingers* for better service/response

btw, once i take the grill element where would i go look apart from teh 2 places mentioned already

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast