Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Linux Operating System query

Default Linux Operating System query

Hi,

Is there any Linux Operating System that can do DirectX 9, 10 and 11 (maybe) games at full screen? Im talking about games like COD4, COD: BO, COD5, BF3, BF2, etc. Also, can they use Windows Applications (.exe)?

I heard that there is something called Linux Mint, but I didnt know how to install or get it.

Almost all modern Linux systems use a program called Wine. It is used to run a fairly large number of Windows based games. Get onto the Wine website, www.winehq.org , to get more information on the specific applications/games it runs.

Linux Mint is a very user friendly distribution aimed at total noobs, which I find enjoyable - a break from hard core Linux. (Basically for when you want to relax and don't need to be reprogramming the kernel for Skynet, to avoid robot takeovers.) Google is your friend in most cases. Delve into doing some reading before taking the plunge
    I don't say much, but if I do say something, it pays to listen.

Master

I have used Windows my entire life and started using Linux Mint late last year. Now I get irritated when I have to boot into Windows. It runs much faster than Windows 7 on my Dual Core lappie with 1GB ram. I've gotten Office 2003 and 2007 to run using WINE. I've heard of COD4 also running on Linux, through WINE. Most of the popular FPSs will probably get covered by WINE because of demand for them. I really recommend it.

If I had to run Linux, would it support all my hardware on my Dell XPS L502X?

Master

I haven't read through these. You should. Relevant to Ubuntu and your PC. Ubuntu is almost the same as Linux mint. Both are based on Debian.

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/inde...t-1739732.html
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell...nux-l502x.html

Just download the Mint Livecd and boot off it, you will find out if something does not work without installing it.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    Just download the Mint Livecd and boot off it, you will find out if something does not work without installing it.
    \Thinks in head "Why didn't I think of that"

Quote Originally Posted by graviti View Post
    Almost all modern Linux systems use a program called Wine. It is used to run a fairly large number of Windows based games. Get onto the Wine website, www.winehq.org , to get more information on the specific applications/games it runs.

Linux Mint is a very user friendly distribution aimed at total noobs, which I find enjoyable - a break from hard core Linux. (Basically for when you want to relax and don't need to be reprogramming the kernel for Skynet, to avoid robot takeovers.) Google is your friend in most cases. Delve into doing some reading before taking the plunge
    One more Quick question: I am a medium gamer, I like to LAN COD4, Blur, etc. Will I be able to lan with other computers using Windows?

Yes.

From all the questions I gather that you do not really know what Linux is and how it works. SO I would strongly suggest one of two things here:
    1) Download a LiveCD from any distro and give it a bash
    or, better still
    2) Install a Linux test machine within a virtual machine and test it for a few days to see if it is what you think it is.

I would go for the second option using VirtualBox.

Download the ISO you want to test, like one of these:
    http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

and then install it within the Virtual Machine.

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."

Quote Originally Posted by ngadao08 View Post
    One more Quick question: I am a medium gamer, I like to LAN COD4, Blur, etc. Will I be able to lan with other computers using Windows?
    Yes, IF the game works in WINE.

My suggestion however is to keep your windows partition for gaming use. Dual-boot for now until you get the hang of things and you can slowly try out your games in WINE at your own paste, it's not always plain sailing.

I still have a Windows partition which I boot into just for gaming on the odd occasion when I feel like it.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Simple answer Linux isnt for gaming.
    If you want to play games keep a windows partition and dual boot. I know some hard core Linux guy wil "YOU CAN GAME ON LINUX" . Well bleh bleh to you sir its a ball ache to get working IF you get it working not everything will word lekker. Not worth the effort

I'm with volstruis on this one! I absolutely LOVE ubuntu, but my media PC at home is still on Windows as my wife likes to play games, and seriously getting stuff to work on Wine can be a bugger. Sometimes it works, sometimes you need to be a rocket scientist to get it working (but then again, I am one and couldn't get it working at my office PC)..

The big question is, why do you want Linux? Because it is free as in no price? Because it is Free as in Freedom? Because it makes you feel cool? Or maybe because you like to have control---My reason for using Ubuntu?

Something a couple of people suggested that might be a foreign term for a life long Windows user: LiveCD... Do yourself a favour, download any Linux distro LiveCD (kUbuntu, Mint, Knoppix for a full blown OS or PuppyLinux, DSL if you just want a taste for +-100MB of data). Burn the CD, pop it into your drive and boot from it. It will allow you to use the CD as if it was installed, but changes do not stick after a reboot. You can also use a tool such as pendrive linux (google it) to make a bootable liveFlash

Enjoy

You can get some games working on linux using playonlinux which can make it easier than using wine. It sadly is also trial and error. It basically uses WINE and creates "partitions" for each game in which certain game requirements are installed and settings can be changed.

I suggest you save yourself the frustration and stick to Windows. The cost in Linux is the time you will invest in getting certain things to work such as games for example and there maybe no reward for your effort. With windows you pay for the OS, and there is also a time investment in keeping it secure and in a running condition.

Quote Originally Posted by ngadao08 View Post
    Hi,

Is there any Linux Operating System that can do DirectX 9, 10 and 11 (maybe) games at full screen? Im talking about games like COD4, COD: BO, COD5, BF3, BF2, etc. Also, can they use Windows Applications (.exe)?

I heard that there is something called Linux Mint, but I didnt know how to install or get it.
    To answer your question in short, Linux supports until Directx 9 with Wine. PlayonLinux is more like a wine frontend. So up until DX9 all is well.

appdb.winehq.org has a lost of games and how well they work.

Exe, most work and you can also verify this on the link above

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast