Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux Operating System query

It really is not that hard to get a game to play in Linux, all you need is reading comprehension and Google skill.

Google: StraCraft II Linux

That should set you off in the right direction.

"The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God."

Quote Originally Posted by volstruis View Post
    Simple answer Linux isnt for gaming.
    If you want to play games keep a windows partition and dual boot. I know some hard core Linux guy wil "YOU CAN GAME ON LINUX" . Well bleh bleh to you sir its a ball ache to get working IF you get it working not everything will word lekker. Not worth the effort
    correction. linux is not meant to play windows based games. the fact it can is a bonus.

there are plenty enjoyable linux games out there.
    Do NOT construe anything I type as advice

Quote Originally Posted by milomak View Post
    there are plenty enjoyable linux games out there.
    Like?
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Nexuiz
    TORCS
    Tuxkart
    Alepone
    Red Eclipse
    Xonotic
    GL-117
    0 AD
    etc.

http://happypenguin.org/news/

I have been using Linux for 5 to 6 years and haven't even attempted to run games off it. I always reboot to my Win 7 install for games. Running games on Linux is like trying to run a petrol car with diesel

I would beg to differ, I would not compete in competitions, but I have LANNED many a time while only having Linux on my PC ever.

CS family, UT family, FarCry, Doom3 and the likes were never a problem, I had consistently better performance over the LAN than the windows guys, even when running games through WINE. (Not frame rate per se, but latency).

Do not toss Linux because of games, it does fine and for the recreational gamer and ladder player it is sufficient. Where you get your short comings is when you start depending on pre-programmed keyboard and mouse micro actions.

That said, if you like the more obscure games and play A LOT of games, then it makes sense to stick to the platform that works best.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWorld View Post
    CS family...
    I use to play CSS a lot but could never get it to work properly in wine and not for a lack of trying.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Hey. I've heard of a program on Ubuntu called PlayOnLinux which is to supposedly made to run games on linux. Is anyone familiar with this program?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CrispinKay View Post
    Hey. I've heard of a program on Ubuntu called PlayOnLinux which is to supposedly made to run games on linux. Is anyone familiar with this program?
    Its not made for Ubuntu, its for all distor's http://www.playonlinux.com/en/

And yes I use it all the time to run Games on my Mint 12 system (Steam and all) for extra hints its always good to check out Wine HQ

Wine HQ is also good for other hints like getting Photoshop 5 CS running with hints as seen here
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

Yo, I have used PlayOnLinux but I think its dependent on WINE anyway, so therefor just get WINE....
    (⊙▂⊙✖ )

Quote Originally Posted by Gozzy View Post
    Yo, I have used PlayOnLinux but I think its dependent on WINE anyway, so therefor just get WINE....
    PlayOnLinux makes it easier to get your game set up and working properly than if you just used WINE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12