Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 4 of 105 FirstFirst 1234 56781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket: Proteas tour of New Zealand - 2012

Quote Originally Posted by McT View Post
    Earlier in this thread someone mentioned his average is wee bit better than Botha.
    Botha
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafr...yer/44149.html

Peterson
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafr...yer/46750.html

Ah, I see but I doubt it could be that. still think that it had something to do with Robbies being left handed.
    [CENTER]Bebamos y divirtámonos que mañana moriremos.
    Melior morior bellator, quam ago profugus.
    Nemo saltat sobrius.

Quote Originally Posted by Devill View Post
    Ah, I see but I doubt it could be that. still think that it had something to do with Robbies being left handed.
    It must be this as its the only logical explanation, although some are saying that Botha being left out if payback for him playing in Australia's T20 competition.

Either way, just the pure International demand of Botha from all T20 competitions should be an indication enough that he should be in the squad. I would like to see them try Tahir out in an ODI in NZ regardless if the pitch assists spin or not and see how he fairs. If he can managed an economy of 4-5 on a unfriendly spin track then surely he should be first pick spinner.

I wonder why the selectors went for Peterson.... prob because he is left handed.
    I was listening to Neil Johnson recently and he said its simply because Peterson takes more wickets than Botha.
    He's more attacking.
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by McT View Post
    Quinton is definitely the guy we are looking for to take over the gloves from Boucher.

Unless Boucher has an absolute mare in the land of the long white cloud, he'll be playing in England. Selectors are looking for experience for the English tour.

Thereafter I reckon they should go with QdK
    They should at least take him with to get a feel for the INT setup.If you feel he's too young ,fine,but start grooming him now.
    The selectors like leaving things till the last like they did with Philander.
    There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

TOURING GROUPS

Test squad: Graeme Smith (capt), AB de Villiers (vc), Hashim Amla, Mark Boucher, Marchant de Lange, JP Duminy, Imran Tahir, Jacques Kallis, Morne Morkel, Alviro Petersen, Robin Peterson, Vernon Philander, Jacques Rudolph, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe.

ODI squad: AB de Villiers (capt), Hashim Amla (vc), Johan Botha, JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Jacques Kallis, Albie Morkel, Morne Morkel, Justin Ontong, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Graeme Smith, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe.

Twenty20 squad: AB de Villiers (capt), Hashim Amla (vc), Johan Botha, Marchant de Lange, JP Duminy, Colin Ingram, Richard Levi, Albie Morkel, Morne Morkel, Justin Ontong, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Rusty Theron, Lonwabo Tsotsobe.

Could this maybe be added to the OP?
    Nemo saltat sobrius.

Justin Ontong

Quote Originally Posted by DrYes View Post
    Justin Ontong
    My reaction as well but read this:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafr...ry/550861.html

Justin Ontong, the Cape Cobras allrounder, has been included in South Africa's squads for the one-day and Twenty20 international series in New Zealand in February. Graeme Smith has been left out of the Twenty20 side, and another Cobras batsman Richard Levi will open with Hashim Amla in the format. JP Duminy was chosen ahead of Ashwell Prince in the Test squad.

Marchant de Lange, who took seven wickets in an innings on Test debut against Sri Lanka, was selected for his first tour and was in the Test and T20 squads. Jacques Kallis and Dale Steyn, were rested for the Twenty20 series.

Ontong hasn't been part of South Africa's squads since the 2009 World Twenty20 in England, where he did not play a game. However, he averaged 72 in this season's 1-Day Cup, South Africa's List A competiton, and 76 in the SuperSport Series, the first-class tournament.
    We are always complaining that they do not pick the guys on form..... well now they have.

Must say at first I also thought wtf?!
    Nemo saltat sobrius.

We are always complaining that they do not pick the guys on form..... well now they have.

I think our perception of Ontong has been tarnished by the whole Percy Sonn incident. No doubt he's in form now, but Percy actually did his reputation more harm by turning him into a token player.
    Solve two of the world's major problems: feed the homeless to the hungry

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hoxbig View Post
    I think our perception of Ontong has been tarnished by the whole Percy Sonn incident. No doubt he's in form now, but Percy actually did his reputation more harm by turning him into a token player.
    +1. Like Ntini also said a couple of years ago. "If I am being selected on because of the colour of my skin I would rather not play", or something like that

Good to see smith out of the T20, see they are also resting Steyn and Kallis.
    Nemo saltat sobrius.

At 32 Justin can hardly be considered a future player for South Africa especially in the limited overs format.I think its more a case of giving opportunities rather than building for the future.
    They should have chosen him long ago ahead of Faf and Ingram.

So who will it be in the test team?

Rudolph or Duminy?

Rudolph or Duminy?
    I'd still go with Rudolph, he did pretty well in the last test. Duminy has been given a 2 year run since his debut in Aus, and he didn't do much in that time.
    Solve two of the world's major problems: feed the homeless to the hungry

Rudolph or Duminy?
    Test team IMO should be:

1) Alviro
    2) Smith
    3) Amla
    4) Kallis
    5) AB
    6) Duminey / Rudolph (if duminey is still not over his short ball issues)
    7) Boucher (I would play a young keeper)
    8) Tahir
    9) Steyn
    10) Lobse / Philander (Philander gets the nod imo as he swings it)
    11) M Morkel
    Nemo saltat sobrius.

10) Lobse / Philander (Philander gets the nod imo as he swings it)
    Reckon you'e the only person in the world who would even consider playing Lopsy before Philander given the latter's first few Tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Dm7 View Post
    Reckon you'e the only person in the world who would even consider playing Lopsy before Philander given the latter's first few Tests.
    No doubt Philander has had a great start but it will only be seen if he can become a true great after another test series or two.

LobsY is left handed and that could help with certain strategical elements (think footmarks for tahir etc etc.).

But to be fair the spot should be contested between M Morkel and LobsY, not as I suggested between Philander and LobsY.
    Nemo saltat sobrius.

Page 4 of 105 FirstFirst 1234 56781454104 ... LastLast