Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast

Thread: MTN Uncapped Lite throttled since 2012/02/01

Thanking you muchly ...
    Good coffee should be, black like the Devil, hot like Hell, and sweet as a Kiss - Hungarian Proverb.

Aww... I got throttled yesterday just after reaching 3GB. Oh well, skype voice chat still worked fine last night even after throttling so i'm happy ^_^

PS: Local Download speed on Speedtest.net = ~20kB/s (Ping: 200-300, My location: Worcester)

Hey Guys

Okay so anyway after not being throttled for 25 days lol i managed to DL about 100gb or so, and then i finally got the message saying you have used your 3gb data lol 97gigs later. Speeds are okay . . . . I'm still playing online mostly League Of Legends and on a skype call with 4 others and its holding up well, no lag on the call or the game, so im happy there. BUT all my downloads are on hold sadly!!
    Anyways I hope next month I can get away for another 25 days lol, and I'll be pretty happy giving them thier R289.00 again hahaha.

Happy throttlling!

Just a note.

I also noticed that even though I am throttled at the moment, When I'm downloading anything, I watch the speeds closely, its around 20kb/s but after like everys 30-50 seconds its suddenly jumps back to normal speeds for me which is 150kb/s-180kb/s and stays there for a few seconds then back down. Mtn are pretty confused at the moment.

Well, I've been gaming while throttled (MW3 - Xbox Live) and the latency seems to be ok. Definitely not what I was used to with a Telkom line, but I was expecting lagging through walls and jumping across the screen, however none of that is happening. It's pretty smooth local, even better than the international games with my old telkom line. I just had a couple games now, which should be the high congestion time and the game play was good.

Can anyone tell me if a 3G Antenna will improve the latency? I read on another forum that there will be less latency if the signal strength is increased over the "noise". Your comments will be greatly appreciated.

Default maybe its just me!!!

Is it just me or has the speeds been really slow ever since Friday?

I mean I was averaging 500kbps and now I can barely do 140kbps, well I can still run my torrents and or play MW3 or Battlefield, but it takes me about 13hour to download a 245mb episode using utorrent now and before it took me a few minutes

I even asked my friend about this and his speed is even worse, he now gets about 50 - 90kbps, maybe MTN saw they are losing money and decided to cut the speeds to 128kbps again or maybe itís just something wrong with Pretoriaís connection speeds

if anyone knows why can you please tell

My problem:
    Telkom don't want to install new ADSL lines in my area(because of copper theft) and I don't have any 8ta coverage. Also all the other wireless services like iBurst don't seem to have coverage.
    Currently I have 2GB/month Cell C that works fine, but the 2GB I always use up within 2 days, lol

So the only 2 options that I have:
    - MTN Uncapped
    - VSAT (a bit pricey and latency not nice)

I would like to get the MTN uncapped, but I think there is something that I need clarification on.

I think there might be a slight error on the MTN website regarding the uncapped internet. Here is my reasoning:
    If you check out the following capped options at: http://www.mtn.co.za/mtnservices/bro...s.aspx?index=1
    and
    http://www.mtn.co.za/mtnservices/bro...s.aspx?index=2
    Then you will see this:
    'Data sessions deplete inclusive data in 1KB steps. Standard and out of bundle data sessions are charged at our published rates in 1KB steps with a R0.02, VAT exclusive minimum charge for access and rounded up to the next cent at the end of each data session, excluding the minimum charge.'
    On the capped packages this is expected, but I think they accidently copy and pasted that section into the uncapped section at:
    http://www.mtn.co.za/mtnservices/bro...s.aspx?index=3

If that clause was actually true then there would be no reason for throttling on the uncapped plans, because you can pay nearly the same price for a capped plan and not get throttled.

Was that a copy and paste error or are they really going to charge me R2000 for each extra 1GB after the 3GB?

They can't charge you extra. Uncapped; fixed; common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasha23 View Post
    Is it just me or has the speeds been really slow ever since Friday?

I mean I was averaging 500kbps and now I can barely do 140kbps, well I can still run my torrents and or play MW3 or Battlefield, but it takes me about 13hour to download a 245mb episode using utorrent now and before it took me a few minutes

I even asked my friend about this and his speed is even worse, he now gets about 50 - 90kbps, maybe MTN saw they are losing money and decided to cut the speeds to 128kbps again or maybe it’s just something wrong with Pretoria’s connection speeds

if anyone knows why can you please tell
    Its not just you, I was just thinking the same and thats how I got to reading this thread. I was doing just great until Friday and since then I'm being throttled at about 120K with an average of 400ms latency.
    MTN can go suck it if this carries on!

Quote Originally Posted by steaksauce View Post
    Its not just you, I was just thinking the same and thats how I got to reading this thread. I was doing just great until Friday and since then I'm being throttled at about 120K with an average of 400ms latency.
    MTN can go suck it if this carries on!
    My torrents were going to take 6-10weeks just to download 5gig so I just said to hell with it all and went to get the 8ta 2+1 so ill probable be done with most of them tomorrow

But this still sucks and my friend called them today and they first told him the speed is throttled to 128kbps and after waiting another 40mins to talk to them again they said the speed is not 256kbps but rather you get from 0-256kbps

Quote Originally Posted by Shasha23 View Post
    My torrents were going to take 6-10weeks just to download 5gig so I just said to hell with it all and went to get the 8ta 2+1 so ill probable be done with most of them tomorrow

But this still sucks and my friend called them today and they first told him the speed is throttled to 128kbps and after waiting another 40mins to talk to them again they said the speed is not 256kbps but rather you get from 0-256kbps
    /facepalm.

Quote Originally Posted by Khanya View Post
    /facepalm.
    Aaaaah man, I hope not.. Im getting my router on Thursday

hmmmmmmmmm mtn are the only company at the moment thats offering unlimited use with its fair use policy.hope 8ta has a unlimited package soon.the speeds with mtn uncapped is just sick.they have the technology and money but they just another soulless company that puts their interests first instead of the millions of its consumers that is has !!!

dont use mtns uncapped package for gaming or downloading.its meant for browsing.video streaming from you tube sucks ! is there a government agent that can help ? lol telkom got fined R4 billion.shouldnt mtn get fined as well for a crap product ? i mean there complaints on hello peter and theres proof ! post your speed test result here ! show the world ! wheres the telecommunications minister when you need him lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro530 View Post
    dont use mtns uncapped package for gaming or downloading.its meant for browsing.video streaming from you tube sucks ! is there a government agent that can help ? lol telkom got fined R4 billion.shouldnt mtn get fined as well for a crap product ? i mean there complaints on hello peter and theres proof ! post your speed test result here ! show the world ! wheres the telecommunications minister when you need him lol
    I pray to disagree. R289 for this product is, compared to any network other than 8ta, very competitive even if you only use the 3GB.
    Yes, you'll get around 15-20KBps once you're throttled but that certainly doesn't mean you can't download at that speed. Ping is within reason.

It's more or less what it's advertised to be.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast