Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast

Thread: Intelligence Study Links Low I.Q. To Prejudice, Racism, Conservatism

If you watch any of the William F Buckley debates on youtube then you cannot hold a view that the conservative people are dumber.

Also Hendrik Verwoerd was Dr Hendrik Verwoerd and was no3 in South Africa the year the matriculated. The guy surely wasn't dumb.

...doesn't know

The funny thing here is that is seems like both parties are pretty intolerant of each other...

Do you really think there's an intelligence line between people that believe in things that they know, as opposed to people who believe in crap they just made up?

Personally, I'm with Forest on this one... "Stupid is what stupid does".
    I'm new here...

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    If anyone feels like I personally attacked them they are welcome to report me. I sometimes lose my temper and step over that line, but generally I stay on the safe side. I dont think I personally insulted anyone in this thread, though some people seem to have taken it on themselves to be offended on behalf of a large portion of the population (nothing I can do about that).
    I don't think anyone took your insulting generalization personally. That does not change the fact that it is still an insult, albeit a generalized one.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    You're right, the range between left and right is vast to say the least.
    The term 'left' and 'right' is so badly phrased and logically inconsistent so I can't take anyone seriously when they put my views in such a category.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodeamus View Post
    If you watch any of the William F Buckley debates on youtube then you cannot hold a view that the conservative people are dumber.

Also Hendrik Verwoerd was Dr Hendrik Verwoerd and was no3 in South Africa the year the matriculated. The guy surely wasn't dumb.
    Please see Siris`s post.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by scotty777 View Post
    The funny thing here is that is seems like both parties are pretty intolerant of each other...
    No kidding. You'd swear they were a different species or something. In my experience liberals just like to put more thought into their prejudices than conservatives. They still love to hate.
    Quote Originally Posted by icyrus View Post
    Good to see that you are still a bigoted ignorant arsehole. Some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Techne View Post
    Sure, you can do it too. Report such nonsense.
    I see it as a personal thing between a few people he dislikes and him. I really couldn't care less.

I only report blatant bigotry and other such crap.

That still leaves you free to report it. It clearly offended you. If you aren't prepared to report it then don't whine. If you do report it and it doesn't get removed then whine adn if nothing gets done leave the forum if you feel strongly enough about it.
    Delta Motor Corporation of South Africa Opel Monza 160i GSi Car of the Year 1991
    Historical Significance

I'm going to throw some more prejudiced rhetoric into the wind

Both liberalism and atheism has been linked to the possession of a higher average IQ. I won’t dispute these findings because they’re sensical on a number of points: the detractors of conservative average IQ include a large portion of fundamentalists. Moreover, universities and faculties lean more liberal at large, and most people who are educated tend to adopt those political leanings almost as a kind of academic naturalization. Most people take this to mean that liberals are very smart, where they are only marginally smarter than your average high-school educated individual.

Those statistics fail to account for the smartest demographic. Mensa, a membership only granted to the top 2% of the population in terms of IQ, has a disproportionately libertarian membership. And again, this corroborates my own experience. most exceptionally intelligent people I meet are libertarian, even when politics are extricated from the few initial conversations.

So I tend to encounter a volume of reasonably intelligent liberals, where reasonably intelligent implies they are usually smarter than your average person (who I believe is still not university educated). But, consistently and without fail, anyone who has challenged me intellectually does not identify with the political spectrum, identifies as a complex conservative, or as some variety of libertarian.

*Half Sigma also dissects some interesting findings about more intelligent people being more economically libertarian.
    So if I were an elitist it would be Libertarians on-top, then the liberals then the conservatives!

or perhaps IQ doesn't really mean much, I'm an IQ sceptic.

Grandmaster

And of course everyone misses the elephant in the room.... from the OP link
    I.Q., or intelligence quotient, is a score determined by standardized tests, but whether the tests truly reveal intelligence remains a topic of hot debate among psychologists.
    [edit ... I see Nicodeamus already beat me to it ]
    Last edited by McSack; 03-02-2012 at 10:09 AM.
    When did ignorance become a point of view ?.

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    Please see Siris`s post.
    If you remove the fundamentalists from the sample then you will have a significantly higher conservative IQ.

...doesn't know

Quote Originally Posted by Nick333 View Post
    No kidding. You'd swear they were a different species or something. In my experience liberals just like to put more thought into their prejudices than conservatives. They still love to hate.
    Well, I firmly believe that belief is the problem... Everyone wants to be right, agreed with, and extolled.

I guess maybe everyone needs to remember that their opinion often sucks and doesn't really matter too much.
    I'm new here...

Super Grandmaster

Explains racist government policies
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodeamus View Post
    If you remove the fundamentalists from the sample then you will have a significantly higher conservative IQ.
    I wouldnt disagree with you. There are a lot of moderates that the fundamentalists pull down with them.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Albereth View Post
    Explains racist government policies
    Spot on

Super Grandmaster

Conservatives aren't right wing, they are just ignorant enough to think they are, and by doing so they taint the right.
    They provide an outlet for anti liberals, but this outlet is only slightly less liberal. The outlets aim is maintaining the status quo while preaching reform, that's not right wing, that's center. It undercuts the right, by pretending to challenge the left when it doesn't. Not only that, they push the vaste majority of people with brains into the arms of the left. Who wants to be associated with emotionally driven people who can't even defend the positions they hold using logic, but will continue to hold them with such stupid ferver? Conservatives spend their time whining about pretty things that have no merrit.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast