Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Router + Separate ADSL Modem (Noob)

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by P924 View Post
    I have the canyon rebranded tp-link wr1043. Worked wonderfully for its purpose, then I installed openwrt when I switched to 8ta (because stock does not support USB modems and DD-WRT does not support E367 modem yet.). It works marvelously for what it does. If you want to keep it on stock firmware and use it as a NAS, go for the Asus, it has much more processing power to deal with the USB. If you plan on tunning DD-WRT, or OpenWRT, the TP-Link will do as long as you have the external drive formatted to EXT3/4, NTFS will be VERY slow. If you only want to use it as an internet wireless router, both will do the job perfectly. DD-WRT might make it better, depending on the user.
    I have:
    2 Laptops
    1 Desktop running XBMC (hopefully this will be replaced by a media server)
    2 Smartphones

I had trouble with dropped connections one room away with the smartphones, which is very annoying. And some stuttering on sd video streaming.

I guess i'll go with the cheaper option.

I have
    2 laptops
    2 pcs (wired)
    2 smartphones.

around 500-700 torrents seeding at any given time and ~20 downloading

No Problems with streaming to any wifi device.

Grandmaster

Ok. thanks. I guess that's settled.

Now just to find someone with stock.

Going to get a D-Link 2500 U for ADSL and the TP-Link for the router. IconikIT who are the cheapest (R500) say the supplier is out of stock. I'm checking with Sybaritic. And there was only one other place.

EDIT: Sybaritic out of stock.
    Last edited by nadimm; 07-02-2012 at 01:50 PM.

PM kernel on the forum, he represents uniterm, who distributes the TP-Link, IIRC.

Grandmaster

PM kernel on the forum, he represents uniterm, who distributes the TP-Link, IIRC.
    Nice one. Thanks.

Grandmaster

Got this

TP-LINK WR2543ND DUAL-BAND 450MBPS WIRELESS N GIGABIT ROUTER

Its a single radio device, so you can't really consider it dual band. And the theoretical speeds of 450 Mbs are only if you have a 3x antenna on the other end. So I won't see that either. But i figured for R50 more I should go with the beefier device.

Its butt ugly though. Gonna have to hide it somewhere. ha ha.

That is a nice device. Not yet suported by the 'WRTs, though.

Grandmaster

That is a nice device. Not yet suported by the 'WRTs, though.
    I doubt I'll be tinkering with the firmware anytime soon.
    I came. I saw. I concurred.

https://twitter.com/bitsyzd

Grandmaster

Default Report Back

Great service from UniTerm Direct. Delivered within 48 hours as promised.

So to recap have the TL-WR2543ND router and TD-8817 modem. Setup was painless initially, but then i couldn't connect to the internet through the router, only directly through the modem. After about 2 hours of resetting, restarting, etc. I found a link about the problem here. Turns out I needed to reduce the MTU size from 1500. Now everything seems hunky dory.

Performance and feature wise its great. Great range. And I can finally reserve IP addresses.

The USB file share feature works better than expected. Streaming is not a problem. Copying happens at about 2.3 Mb/s. But I guess this depends on a range of factors.

I hope this helps if anyone else decided to go the TP-Link route.

Try formatting the drive to EXT3/4 and checking transfer speeds then. I have a feeling it will be much higher... (If you don't have linux then FAT32 might also be faster, but it has other limits, off course)

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

I find it VERY strange that the MTU isn't 1492 by default on the ADSL modem.

Stick with EXT2 or EXT3 partition types when you connect the HDD to a router/server running a version of Linux. NTFS read + writes are incredibly slow in Linux due to poor NTFS drivers. You can easily get drivers/applications to write to EXT2 partitions from Windows, and even EXT3. With EXT4, there are very specific ways of formatting it, so that you don't have journaling enabled on it. With journaling enabled, you're screwd when you try to access it from Windows IIRC.

It seems TP Link routers come with 1500 as standard MTU, this was on my 1043nd as well. It worked but I changed it to 1492 just to match the adsl modem.
    TonyA
    "Man proposes, God disposes" Anon
    --------------------------------

Grandmaster

I spoke to soon.

MTU size solved my problem temporarily. Still having internet connection issues. But there seems to be a bigger issue with the network as a whole. The connection is very very slow, and only really works for a few seconds after connecting. Cannot even stream.

The weird part is my downstorm downloads are happily chugging away at full line speed.

Tried a lower mtu.
    Tried different channels.
    Tried 20 and 40mhz

Help

Quote Originally Posted by nadimm View Post
    I spoke to soon.

MTU size solved my problem temporarily. Still having internet connection issues. But there seems to be a bigger issue with the network as a whole. The connection is very very slow, and only really works for a few seconds after connecting. Cannot even stream.

The weird part is my downstorm downloads are happily chugging away at full line speed.

Tried a lower mtu.
    Tried different channels.
    Tried 20 and 40mhz

Help
    Step 1 I'd try is to hook up to the router with an RJ-45 - this will tell you if the problem is with the wireless setup or something else.
    In South Africa even the information superhighway has potholes in it.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
    Step 1 I'd try is to hook up to the router with an RJ-45 - this will tell you if the problem is with the wireless setup or something else.
    I did. It is the wireless.

I seemed to have found a workaround.

I changed from mixed mode to bg.

I'm going to try taking out my new laptop from the equation and see if maybe that was causing the problem.
    Last edited by nadimm; 09-02-2012 at 08:32 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast