Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wireless Router + Separate ADSL Modem (Noob)

Grandmaster

There are no problems over the ethernet network. Speeds of about 9 MB/s when copying stuff over. Streaming obviously not an issue.

Going to try disabling DCHP

Grandmaster

Ok. Now disabled DCHP on the modem. And set the router WAN to static IP.

Everything is working over the wired lan as before. Can copy files (9 MB/s), internet, stream, etc.

Wireless. Now getting more practical transfer speeds of 1.3MB/s from the one laptop to the other.

Going to now check if returning to mixed mode will work.

Grandmaster

Mixed mode still doesn't work. Have to go back to G.

N Laptop disconnects (limited connectivity warning) first. The G laptop still has connectivity for a while after that, and then it also disconnects.

Is this the inability of the router to handle mixed mode? My previous adsl router had no problems with any of this.

Also I checked and there doesn't seem to be DD WRT compatibility for this router.

Now what? Return?

Quote Originally Posted by nadimm View Post
    Mixed mode still doesn't work. Have to go back to G.

N Laptop disconnects (limited connectivity warning) first. The G laptop still has connectivity for a while after that, and then it also disconnects.

Is this the inability of the router to handle mixed mode? My previous adsl router had no problems with any of this.

Also I checked and there doesn't seem to be DD WRT compatibility for this router.

Now what? Return?
    In mixed mode did you change the channel width (or whatever it is called) from 20 MHz to anything else? That usually causes such behaviour. Otherwise mixed g and n is nothing out of the ordinary.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by eshwar View Post
    In mixed mode did you change the channel width (or whatever it is called) from 20 MHz to anything else? That usually causes such behaviour. Otherwise mixed g and n is nothing out of the ordinary.
    Yes. I did. I think I've exhausted all possibilities.
    I came. I saw. I concurred.

https://twitter.com/bitsyzd

Grandmaster

So had to drive to bedfordview to take in the router (carry in warrantee). I'm in the north, so that sucks.

The technician now says there's nothing wrong with the router, so I'm getting the same unit back. He says to try setting the internet connection settings through the router instead of the modem.

So I guess I'll try that and see if it works. Else I'll be asking for a refund, which will involve me driving back to bedfordview.

Not the best experience with TP Link. At least Uniterm have been as good as can be expected.

Grandmaster

So a final update (for anyone who has this problem).

I changed the settings so that the router handles the adsl authentication (instead of the adsl modem doing it). This seemed to have solved all my problems. Haven't had a chance to test it extensively, but seems that everything is now A-OK.

I don't know if this is my noobness or that TP Link should better handle the WAN connection.

Well, it makes more sense doing it that way, then you only have to log in to the router if you want to do any network maintenance/changes.

Grandmaster

I agree. But,as a non technical user i shouldn't need to know the three different possibilities and their advantages/disadvantages. And all options should work in any case.

I spent two full days initially trying to get this to work. Next time I'd pay extra and go for the n56u.

Grandmaster

Problems are back. Actually first time I've used the wifi for an extended period.

Going to ask for a refund.

Super Grandmaster DrJohnZoidberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadimm View Post
    Problems are back. Actually first time I've used the wifi for an extended period.

Going to ask for a refund.
    Have you eliminated the possibility there may be some interference causing your issues? Maybe you should try out the router at a friends place or something and see if it still has issues.

I had to try 3 different wifi routers at my place before I ended up getting a TP-link WR842ND which has been great so far.
    Praise Zeus!

Grandmaster

Had a wag120n before. No problems.

I have tried various channels.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234