Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast

Thread: 3G Router for VOIP

General internet screams. Download at about 3Mbps and upload at 2Mbps. General internet is flawless.
    Away.......
    Went down the rabbit hole an ร...

Quote Originally Posted by Peon View Post
    Followup, problem still persists, in fact even worse.

Testing the handsets on ADSL produces perfect service. Every call is made and calls are received. The problem is Vodacom defined.

Ive tested with a contract sim, same deal. Outgoing calls dont work.

Ive logged a fault on Monday and finally today can reveal what I was told by Vodacom team leader.

According to Curtis Green form Vodacom Midrand - VOip is not supported on the Vodacom network.

VodacomData who is on the forum, please comment as you have been invited to this topic.

Hi Peon

Let's start with your number , kindly send that to me and i will check your SIM profile along with the BTS you are connecting to.

Quote Originally Posted by VodacomData View Post
    Hi Peon

Let's start with your number , kindly send that to me and i will check your SIM profile along with the BTS you are connecting to.
    VD,

Get as much detail so we can let Engineering trace. The Unrestricted APN should have resolved all of this from our side. Copy me in on the mails and I'll track it as well.

General internet screams. Download at about 3Mbps and upload at 2Mbps. General internet is flawless.
    That's odd. Your problem currently doesn't sound like NAT anymore as in the past only inbound calls were affected?

Quote Originally Posted by VodacomData View Post
    Hi Peon

Quote Originally Posted by jannievanzyl View Post
    VD,

Get as much detail so we can let Engineering trace. The Unrestricted APN should have resolved all of this from our side. Copy me in on the mails and I'll track it as well.
    But the big boys are on it, so I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it.
    62.15% of South Africans voted in favour of the Nkandla compound and e-tolls.

We choose the thieves and the liars who will govern
    As they don their disguises and prey on the prizes we bought them
    And we'll say that we didn't know
    We'll be know as the wicked, the lazy, the crazy, the people that choose to be blind

I have sent my details, any assistance would be appreciated. Im sure this would be beneficial for other industry members.

Thank you.
    Away.......

Just got a call from someone at Vodacom. Half asleep and didnt know whats going on.

Not looking good.
    VodacomData, do you have anything to report?

EDIT: I cant telnet into our VOIP provider, i can reach Vodacom's VOIP address.

Vodacom, can you please give a definite answer as to if you allow VOIP on your network or not.
    Last edited by Peon; 27-02-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    Away.......

On your Billion Router under firewall uncheck the setting SIP ALG, depending on the router you may have a dedicated ALG section. turn it off, this can cause alot of problems. I recommend the Billion 7800 router, it takes a sim card directly into the router, i have many of these in the field with unrestricted APN and they work very well.

Thanks

Setting has been disabled. Vodacom firewall blocking connections on port 5060 to my SIP provider.

I wish companies didnt resort to these measures.
    Away.......

This is surprising. We have hundreds of users connecting to us over 3G with Vodacom...without problems.

Are you sure this is the case? What does your provider say about this?

We had a conference call today with 4 people involved. The SIP provider joined in as well for a bit. I was on site on the phone as they cross-checked trace logs on their side as VOIP calls were made or attempted to be made.

It appears it is not intentional. But critical packets needed by the SIP gateway to auth are dropping for some reason. This appears to have Vodacom a bit stumped. Tomorrow morning at 9 another conference call.

I must commend Vodacom and our VOIP provider. Its very easy to get snotty and irritated. Yet both parties have remained calm and professional in the face of a difficult and complicated problem.

So, lets see what happens tomorrow.
    Away.......

No solution or program found. It appears IP Datagrams are matching a pattern and being filtered. A attempt at a solution has been made. Will report accordingly.
    Away.......

No solution or program found. It appears IP Datagrams are matching a pattern and being filtered. A attempt at a solution has been made. Will report accordingly.
    Kind of defeats the purpose of unrestricted?
    Last edited by morkhans; 06-03-2012 at 03:20 PM. Reason: typo
    62.15% of South Africans voted in favour of the Nkandla compound and e-tolls.

We choose the thieves and the liars who will govern
    As they don their disguises and prey on the prizes we bought them
    And we'll say that we didn't know
    We'll be know as the wicked, the lazy, the crazy, the people that choose to be blind

I cant help but agree Morkhans. But its both ways, in and out. It appears with a different handset you can better control the G729 session. Preliminary tests show that this session is not filtered. I adjusted payload length from 20ms to 30ms and it seems to be working. Need to use it for about a week.

Vodacom still needs to figure out what pattern is filtering the packets. This is between Vodacom and the SIP provider. I stand at the coalface. My client doesnt care about reasons and good intentions, just demands results.

So YeaLink phone causes the bug where as a default Atcom works. Will reset YeaLink to default and post results. The yealinks I received pre-programmed.
    Away.......

Grandmaster

i tried with the 'standard' Huawei B970, and couldnt understand why its not working for VOIP... Skype, MSN calls work fine, so assume VOIP packets are different.
    I thought it could be the apn, as it was the standard "internet" APN, (Vodacom and MTN)
    somehow i tried a USB modem with the softphone app on its own, and voila voice worked fine... so i figured it must be something on the B970... NAT or some other setting.
    Even tried with the Netgear MBR1200, as its also an excellent 3G router... but same issue, i can dial out, and hear the other side, but they cant hear me.
    Cant see anywhere in the settings to add/enable/disable to make it work
    Tried the cheapy ZyXEL NBG4115, with a usb modem plugged into it.... IT WORKS! (even on standard 'internet' APN)
    Its not the best of 3G routers IMO (guess thats what u pay for), wifi can be a little stuborn, but as long as it works for VOIP, all i need.... guess, being cheap its quite simple and doesnt have all the complicated settings, that just.... complicate stuff :-)
    http://www.zyxel.com/products_servic...4115.shtml?t=p

btw ... using MWEB Webcall and these cheapy USB phones u get at IC, or for much better performance, the Yealink SIP-T20P
    Last edited by CeeBee; 09-03-2012 at 01:32 PM.
    At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box

CeeBee, keep using it for a while and get above 95% calls to work. In and out. I found I could only get acceptable levels of service by unplugging the YeaLink phones and using the Atcom phones.

Bless the guys at Vodacom. They really tried their best but couldnt figure out what the problem was. They toiled hard but couldnt figure it out. Something is happening on Vodacom's network and they dont know what it is.

They cant identify what IP datagrams are causing the issue and more importantly they dont know why.

Ive exhausted myself on this problem and can go no more. Credit to the SIP provider, they've remained calm but are totally gatvol of me now.
    Away.......

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast